Where to get stock valve covers? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Where to get stock valve covers?

My stock valve covers in my 327, or rather LM1 clone, need to be replaced. My engine compartment is as stock as I could make it. Even my performer intake is painted orange. I want to buy a set of plain, original looking, valve covers to be painted orange. I can't find them anywhere. All I see is chrome! BTW, I would love the aluminum finned Z covers but just can't justify $300 for them. But they are sweeeet. Just curious are these still available from GM for less $'s. Unless someone out there wants to part with a good used set???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 07:15 PM
Senior Tech
Keith

Re: Where to get stock valve covers?

Most all of the resro places sell the stock stamped steel valve covers. Classic industries I know for sure sells them, they even have the stock style 67 covers. They're a pretty common item.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 07:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

If you want the plain old tin orginals with the word chevrolet in script , they are out there, so are the old "corvette" script alum and you can pick up a used set of the finned alum for about 1 to 2 Bens, depending on what condition they are in. Plain old tin chevrolet script would really look stock. Try Ebay.. I have one used Rt finned with a small crack on top of one bolt down hole that I repaired with JB weld but you still need the left hand.

try this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-...QQcmdZViewItem

or this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1989-...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVR...QQcmdZViewItem

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 07:21 PM

Smile Re: Where to get stock valve covers?

Old junkyards!

pdq67

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Thx for the quick feedback. But they didn't have the chevrolet script in the covers in 1969. I have seen those available. In 1969 they are plain "stamped tin" I guess. And I have spent time on both the Classic and Rick's sites without seeing them. Yeah maybe I should try Ebay 69 Z aluminum, but they are still pricey.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 08:39 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Try http://www.gmsports.com/pfs.asp
They have several cars to choose from with stock tin.

Larger Dave
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 08:49 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

If you can swing it, save for the aluminum,..look nicer, the fins cool oil better (theoretically), and best of all, don't leak like the stamped pieces.

Yes, GM still makes them,..ebay currently has a half dozen new ones in the $260 ranage, but there are dozens of places you can find them.

Last edited by Straight-line-69; Jan 8th, 06 at 08:56 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 09:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

on the finned covers, supposedly the repro's are finished and polished much better than the originals. My repros are works of art, well worth the 129 each plus shipping.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 06, 10:59 PM
Senior Tech
Harley D

The Parts Place lists the finned aluminum ones for $109 ea.
http://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss
We learn life's important lessons in kindergarten.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
1/[email protected]

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 06, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Got my GM valve covers. Look great. Not as glossy (glassy) as repo's but that is fine with me. Question: where do you get the correct oil fill cap? Which Rick's part # is it? They all talk of tubes. Thx.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 06, 08:03 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

The oil cap is the same regardless of valve cover, Rick's part # RC-98. You'll need two grommets, # RC-82, the elbow tube # RC-80, and a crank-case vent hose (see page 239 of the 2006 catalog for the assortment),..it will depend what air cleaner you're running. Also, PCV valve # RC-88 and PCV hose RC-87.

Good luck!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 06, 08:36 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via Yahoo to shooterpcb

>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Swap Meet <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Road Trip!!!!!
Duuhhh!

"There are two ways to do this... My way and the Wrong way." - Dale Earnhardt '99

Neil

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 06, 09:31 AM
Senior Tech
Kyle

There is a good reason why most people don't use these stock covers anymore besides the obvious fact that they aren't the best looking covers ... the plain fact is that most people don't know how to attach them to the heads in the proper manner so they don't leak... see these tappet covers were definately the cause of tons of oil being spilled all over US and Canadian highways and city streets

1969 Z/28 CLONE 350
4 SPD MUNCIE,
4 WHEEL DISK BRAKES,
4:11 POSI
BLUE W/WHITE STRIPES

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode