350 engine build - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 06, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

350 engine build

I have a buddy that is wanting me to build a 350 to go in his 91 pick up. He wants to use a standard bore block, he has a set of 882 heads that he wants on the motor. I just need some sugestions on what cam ignition pistons rockers things like that. I have built many of motors but i have never tried to squeeze any power out of these heads. He wants the motor to be strong enogh that he can take it to the track on sundays and maybe do sum good with it. If you have any suggestions at all please post them all will be greatly appreciated.Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 06, 07:49 PM

Re: 350 engine build

Good post I want to see the responses also as I have a set here of those 882s and a old 2 bolt 350 block. I was going to see what I could get out of them also.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 06, 08:29 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

Hope I don't pop a balloon here, but making track-worthy power with the 882's would be a challenge. They're a smogger 350 head and literally millions of them were made. This is the head installed on mid-70's choked-up engines,..i.e., a 165 HP 350 made in 1975.

Heads are where you can make your power,..I'd find something more suitable. Call a local engine builder,..see what he has available and see if he'll work a swap.

Then I'd build about 9.5:1 (iron) or 10:1 (alum) compression and a cam in the 225 @.50 range.

Good luck!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 06, 11:31 PM
wdf

consider the new vortech heads- now avail at your friendly salvage yard. require very little work / machine larger spring seats and change springs.Very good numbers for the money! note- does have ditterent bolt pattern for intake
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 06, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

yes this is exactly what i told him no power involved in these heads. I told him where i can get the vortecs new in the box for 350 dollars ready to go but you cant make him believe it.I am going to print this out for proof though.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 06, 06:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Den

Garage

As someone with a mild 350 with a performer cam, performer intake, 600 cfm carb, and 882's, I would use other heads. These heads seem ok down low and make pretty good torque, but they just die around 4300 rpms. Its like they hit a wall around 4300 rpms. In the spring, I'm replacing my heads with either a set of Trickflow's or Bordix IK 200s. The 882's will make good boat anchors

1969 Camaro 350, Trickflow heads, ST-10 4spd, Hotchkis suspension, Baer SS brake kit, moser 12bolt
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 06, 08:46 PM

Well this isn't helping me much I already knew they were junk compared to 90% of the heads out there. I was just going to see what people came up with for a combination if the 882 heads had to be used for some reason, say a racing class etc.. Thats the only reason I was going to play around with them. Is to see if a motor could be tweaked enough to make any kind of power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode