Target Master Engine - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 06, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Target Master Engine

Were these engines ever made with 4 bolt mains? I found one that was in an old school bus (still mounted in what's left of the frame of the bus). I haven't pulled the pan yet and I couldn't seem to locate a stamping anywhere. Where the pad is typically found in front of the pass. side head that seems to be a mounting location for the water pump. Is there another place the stampings are located?

I found the engine casting number on the back of the block and it says that it's a 010 block which means 350. It has a very large damper on it. It also has 010 cast on the pass. side of the block.

Is this engine worth purchasing for the block and crank for $125? I would be guessing in thinking that the heads probably aren't worth anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 06, 08:08 PM
Senior Tech
mike

Re: Target Master Engine

They are 4 bolt main if I remeber correctly.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 06, 08:11 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

Why not. The larger balancer is a good sign. Do you know how long it's been sitting?

The good news is, the bus was probably kept on a good maintenance schedule, as most all are.

Good luck!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 06, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

I do not know how long the motor has been sitting. It was covered when I looked at it this afternoon. The bus is a 1968.

Where on the motor can I find the motor identification stamping?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 06, 09:06 PM
Senior Tech

I would pull the pan first. I helped a friend install one in 1980 and I'm almost positive it was a 2 bolt main. I don't think the balancer means anything, the engine was not sold with one. The balancer came off of the old engine in the bus. The one thing that really stands out in my mind is the Blazer we put it in was gutless with the target master.

69 Z28
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 06, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Well, I wouldn't use anything from the motor except the block (if 4blt) and the crank (if forged). I know these were pretty gutless motor's but a solid 4 bolt with standard bore and a forged crank might be worth keeping......if the price is right!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 06, 11:19 PM
wdf

target master will be a 4 bolt main with 8.5 compression and a very mild cam.
if you cam it up and put on better heads 300-330 hp very streetable rev limit to 5800 rpm (cast pistons)
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 06, 11:30 PM
Senior Tech
John

Bolt on some vortec heads along with a mild cam and those target engines can run real good!

'70 Nova, 355 ci, Edelbrock heads #6089, 64cc, 9.8-1 compression, Hyd roller cam 230/236 .510/.520, Scorpion roller rockers, RPM intake, Holley #3310, 1 5/8 Hookers, 2 1/2 exhaust w/ Spintech mufflers, Super T-10 4 speed
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 06, 01:53 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via Yahoo to shooterpcb

the 010 is often a 4 bolt main but not always. I have 6 010 blocks at my home and 2 of them had their original Forged steel cranks. All of the 350s had forged rods, just make sure they're straight and usable. These motors are good blocks for rebuilds. A 350 with 9:1 compr piston, Edelbrock intake, good cam, 600cfm carb and Vortec heads will get you 350-375+hp easy. Most target master engines I have seen were 4 bolt mains and some with steel cranks. I would pay $125 for a decent block with some good usable factory parts in/on it.

"There are two ways to do this... My way and the Wrong way." - Dale Earnhardt '99

Neil

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 06, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

I told him I would take if it was a four bolt. I will be buying the entire short block for $125. That includes the damper and flywheel. I think it would be a good deal if its the four bolt. Then I disasemble it for cleaning and machine work. I figure new vortec's and a 274 cam with my RPM Air Gap and 650 AVS I should be close to where I want to be. My mark was somewhere between 400-450HP. It'll be a good setup.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 06, 08:31 PM

Smile Re: Target Master Engine

The Target Master motor started off with the great little old -929 cam in them. At 195/202, 112/108, .390"/.410" lift.

I think as they ran out of them, they probably ended up with a newer, little old 305 motor cam that took it's place.

pdq67

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 06, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Well I'll know this weekend.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 06, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

The engine is labeled a "350 Target Master" engine. This was marked on the valve covers. The block itself is a 3970010 with the "010" on both sides of the block and under the timing cover. Also under the timing cover was "G20."
I was finally able to find a stamping on the underside of the block where the starter would be bolted. The stamping is "VE1277289." Is there anything anyone can tell me about this engine? It is a four bolt main with a nodular crank "PN 3932442" which I found in my chevy by the numbers book to be a replacement crank. The engine itself appears to be a virgin, meaning no prior boring and the rod and main bearings are standard. I guess I was under the impression that the target master motors were previously used blocks.

The engine was mounted in what was left of a 1968 school bus. The frame was really the only thing left. The motor was covered and is in decent shape. It turned over easily and has maybe .002-.003 of a lip at the top of the cylinders.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 06, 10:39 PM
Senior Tech
mike

I believe Target Master 350 was the 4bolt main replacement motor for years until it was replaced with the GoodWrench 350 motor even though there are slight differences between the two.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 06, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

No "Hencho En Mexico" anywhere on it though. Maybe made north of the border?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode