What color should I have my new engine block painted? - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 06, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Send a message via AIM to milehigh67
What color should I have my new engine block painted?

I am putting a new 383 crate engine into my 67 vert and the company I am getting it from will paint the engine whatever color I chose. I dont really want the stock orange color since the car is not numbers matching anyway. I was thinking about either dark blue or light blue to match the car. What do you guys think?

The color of the car is Nantucket blue which was a factory color in 67.

1967 Convertible SS 350
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 06, 04:50 AM

Re: What color should I have my new engine block painted?

Your car looks great!! What color is your firewall and inner fenders? I originally painted my 383 orange, but changed it to black before we put it in the subframe. Since my car is going to be silver and black. I am running the silver, black and chrome theme throughout the car.

I know that Chip Foose seems to paint a lot of his engines to match the paint color.

You can check out my engine with the black, silver and chrome theme. The first three pictures are when I bought it so don't look at those, currently it does not have the front clip on.

http://community.webshots.com/user/jhilts71

By the way, what size tires and wheels did you run?
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 06, 08:57 AM
Retired
Jim

If you have black firewall and inner fenders, why not stick with chev. orange? Its a great contrast to black. POR makes a great chev orange

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 06, 09:08 AM
Senior Tech
Royce

I don't think Orange will do that car justice. The problem with painting it a light color is you will see all the dirt and seepage. I don't think dark blue would look good either. I am assuming the engine compartment is black? If so a black and chrome engine will fit in nice (hard to go wrong with black and chrome). The only other color that I think would look good would be light blue (similar to the body color), but you will have to stay on top of keeping it clean.

Royce (NO XQSSS) Bradley

(brief sound/video clip, 3 1/2" exhaust through Borla Sportsman mufflers)
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 06, 10:04 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to 1FASTZ Send a message via Yahoo to 1FASTZ

My first vote is black, my second is orange. If I saw your engine painted the same color as your car, I would first think its a Pontiac engine, because I have seen some painted a similar color, but maybe they were not factory. Just my 2 cents...It would probably be easier on you to narrow it down to two different colors that you like and then let us decide for you Otherwise you might get 50 different color opinions by the time this thread is finished.

Oh and if you decide that you want to paint it a color that doesn't match your car, like say brown or yellow, I'd be more than happy to take that sweet ride off of you hands with or without an engine.

Marty Lake
1969 Z/28 fathom green X77
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 06, 10:10 AM
Tech Team
WrenchingAce

If it was mine I think I would paint it Saphire blue with a silver base coat and then put on a set of Blue spark plug wires with a Blue distributer cap. I have put together lots of engines and almost every single one has been a different color with just regular ole Krylon spray paint. Works just fine. The only other time I didn't use Krylon was when I used VHT Engine paint. As long as you have a clean surface the paint should last for a long time. I've had people tell me to not use regular Krylon because it will "Burn off, Chip or peel" but so far I haven't had any problems You want to put on several coats of paint though.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 06, 10:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

interesting post... my first thought was "CHEVY ENGINES ARE ORANGE!"
Then I read a lil further... My engine is out, and the underhood is body color (lamens blue) with a lot of chome, polished alluminum, and SS hoses.

Would it look better with the block and heads black?

On the POR15... Last year when I had it out (sigh...) I primed the block and heads with black por15, then shot krylon orange on top of it. I'm for sure noticing that certain solvents and activity's will melt / chip the krylon pretty easy... The por stays put, it'll even laugh at a wire brush!

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 06, 10:41 AM

Originally, when I thought I was going back stock, I painted it Orange. However, after deciding to paint the engine bay silver. I looked at the engine on the stand and thought why paint it a factory color, if I am going to change the engine bay. Black on silver looks a lot better than orange on silver.

However, everyone has different tastes.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 06, 10:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Buck

Wink Re: What color should I have my new engine block painted?

Jim, yours would look good in pink....
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM
interesting post... my first thought was "CHEVY ENGINES ARE ORANGE!"
Then I read a lil further... My engine is out, and the underhood is body color (lamens blue) with a lot of chome, polished alluminum, and SS hoses.

Would it look better with the block and heads black?

On the POR15... Last year when I had it out (sigh...) I primed the block and heads with black por15, then shot krylon orange on top of it. I'm for sure noticing that certain solvents and activity's will melt / chip the krylon pretty easy... The por stays put, it'll even laugh at a wire brush!

(far superior to the Pontiac Phoenix)

The Internet. It doesn't make you stupid. It just makes your stupidity more accessible to others.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 06, 11:08 AM

Your ride is sweet! If you go with a blue color, make sure it matches your exterior color exactly. Pontiac has an engine color similar to your cars paint color...but don't use that! I think good old Chevy orange would look right in a black engine compartment. Lots of race engine builders recommend BLACK. It's supposed to dissipate heat better. (like an OE radiator) My 3 choices: Stock look = Chevy Orange, Custom look = Your Nantucket Blue, Race look = Black & Chrome/Aluminum theme.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 06, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brian

Send a message via AIM to milehigh67

Thanks for all the feedback on this one guys. I am torn between going with either matching the color of the car or going with black. The silver suggestion was pretty good also. The engine bay is all black right now. I will try to post a pic once I get the engine in and running. If I dont make up my mind it may end up being pink! Stay tuned.

1967 Convertible SS 350

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 06, 01:32 PM

Cast iron gray would look really good. NOT the Aluminum color. They make a cast IRON color that looks just like fresh metal. Makes the motor look really new and contrasts good with black and chrome. Be cautious there are several brands some are a very light gray that I don't like I like the Darker color that really mimics the virgin iron.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 06, 07:26 PM
Team Member
Christropher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Jim, yours would look good in pink....
That's funny Buck, I kinda figured yours would look good in yellow!!

We are talking about your garden here right???

Christropher

...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 06, 07:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Buck

NO, NO, NO... YELLOW would show too much dirt!!!

(far superior to the Pontiac Phoenix)

The Internet. It doesn't make you stupid. It just makes your stupidity more accessible to others.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 06, 04:43 AM
Senior Tech
Darren

A girl in one of my autoshop classes painted her block pink for her 50's chevy truck. Umm don't do that, lol. If you want to be different have it chromed because I would love to see it the day its finished. Of course from then on it would never look clean again, but it would look good for a day or two. Black and chrome, love it. D

Darren
67 Camaro 350
69 Camaro 406 10-1 comp, afr 195s, performer rpm intake, 750 DP, comp 286h

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode