Have you guys checked out the new issue Of Chevy High Performance (Mar 06)? On the cover and page 72 there is a '71 Chevelle with a Supercharged 372 small block. WOW, 952 HP and 9.32 @ 146 in the 1/4 mile.
Very nice and very fast.
I have a customer wanting to build such a car but with a '67 Camaro. You guys want to post your thoughts on possibilites for the build. Here are some questions/ideas I have:
- I am still open to the head choice: Canfield (I like the price) , Brodix, AFR, ? Patriot heads, I don't know about these. Has anybody tried these heads yet?
- Who makes the best belt driven (non-roots type) super charger set up? ProCharger, Vortech or Paxton. I like the idea of a self contained oiling. Simplicity is key!
- Who makes the best custom blow through carbs?
- Ideas about fuel system set ups?
- What type of 6-speed manual trans would live behind a 700 - 900 HP beast like this? How about a TH400/GV overdrive?
- Would you build a 372 (4.125 x 3.48") or 400 (4.125 x 3.75) small block? Either way will have a fully forged rotating assembly with blower pistons and about 9.1 - 1 CR. The 372 is interesting as this combo is very popular in circle track racing, great breathing and high revving!
- The block will either be a Motown or Dart, leaning towards Dart.
- The valve train will be full roller, most likely custom ground hyd roller cam (looking at Cam Motion or Comp).
- The car will most likely have a 12-point custom cage. He wants stealth, I say be SAFE!
- Susspension ideas. The best front clips? Probably a Fatman Fabrication up front. Others? The best rear set up? DSE, AirRide, Hot Rods to Hell?
- This car will be a wicked street car and NOT a race car. The customer wants no external cues as to what is under the hood. Blower whine is acceptable.
I will research and bench race this thing to death before the first dollar is spent or the first wrench is turned. Not every good/great shop has built a combo like this. This is not a roots blower or Nitrous engine, those have been done to death. This is differant stuff for sure.
This website is a wealth of information and there are some great guys here who love to discuss stuff like this.
I welcome your thoughts and opinions. Bring it on guys!