Super Charged 372 Small Block Build Up - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 06, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Cool Super Charged 372 Small Block Build Up

Have you guys checked out the new issue Of Chevy High Performance (Mar 06)? On the cover and page 72 there is a '71 Chevelle with a Supercharged 372 small block. WOW, 952 HP and 9.32 @ 146 in the 1/4 mile.

Very nice and very fast.

I have a customer wanting to build such a car but with a '67 Camaro. You guys want to post your thoughts on possibilites for the build. Here are some questions/ideas I have:

- I am still open to the head choice: Canfield (I like the price) , Brodix, AFR, ? Patriot heads, I don't know about these. Has anybody tried these heads yet?

- Who makes the best belt driven (non-roots type) super charger set up? ProCharger, Vortech or Paxton. I like the idea of a self contained oiling. Simplicity is key!

- Who makes the best custom blow through carbs?

- Ideas about fuel system set ups?

- What type of 6-speed manual trans would live behind a 700 - 900 HP beast like this? How about a TH400/GV overdrive?

- Would you build a 372 (4.125 x 3.48") or 400 (4.125 x 3.75) small block? Either way will have a fully forged rotating assembly with blower pistons and about 9.1 - 1 CR. The 372 is interesting as this combo is very popular in circle track racing, great breathing and high revving!

- The block will either be a Motown or Dart, leaning towards Dart.

- The valve train will be full roller, most likely custom ground hyd roller cam (looking at Cam Motion or Comp).

- The car will most likely have a 12-point custom cage. He wants stealth, I say be SAFE!

- Susspension ideas. The best front clips? Probably a Fatman Fabrication up front. Others? The best rear set up? DSE, AirRide, Hot Rods to Hell?

- This car will be a wicked street car and NOT a race car. The customer wants no external cues as to what is under the hood. Blower whine is acceptable.

I will research and bench race this thing to death before the first dollar is spent or the first wrench is turned. Not every good/great shop has built a combo like this. This is not a roots blower or Nitrous engine, those have been done to death. This is differant stuff for sure.

This website is a wealth of information and there are some great guys here who love to discuss stuff like this.

I welcome your thoughts and opinions. Bring it on guys!

1967 Chevelle 496BB/TH400/Dana-60 (Show and Go)
1967 El Camino 388SB/700R4/12-bolt posi (Daily Driver)
1967 C10 Short-Wide 496BB/TH400/12-bolt (The Shop Truck)
2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Low Rider

Chris @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 06, 09:22 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Super Charged 372 Small Block Build Up

I am currently building a normally-aspirated 372. My combo uses a Bow-Tie Block, Canfield 218cc CNC heads, 13.5:1 JE pistons, Oliver rods, Callies crank, custom Cam Motion solid roller, Jesel rockers, and Wilson-prepped Victor Jr. I went with the Canfield heads because the exhaust ports are in the stock location, so I thought I could get away without custom headers. I will end up running custom headers anyway because of the exhaust port width and ground clearance issues. I would recommend taking a good look at the Brodix Track 1 M2 CNC heads.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 06, 09:33 PM
Senior Tech

I'm pretty sure that the 'Malitude' owned by Charley 'clill' on this site has a turbo'ed 372 - so maybe he'll chime in.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 06, 12:13 PM

Hey guys,

This is my engine. I'm also thinkin' of a turbo'd possiblility.

Any thoughts?

Strange
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode