Spark Plug Gaps - Team Camaro Tech
Engine General Engine Discussion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 07, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Spark Plug Gaps

I've got a new Goodwrench 350, mild Crane cam, Performer intake, Q-jet in my '75 Camaro. With the old stock motor I always ran AC R45TSX plugs with .060" gap (stock specs) and never had a problem, always ran strong. I'm still using the original stock HEI ,which has never let me down, on the new motor and am running AC R44TX plugs, also at .060 gap. This motor runs like a champ, healthy and strong. GM only used the .060" gap in '75 for emissions and then went to .045" gaps for HEI's after '76. Here's the question: I've always thought that the bigger the spark gap the more power; is it possible I could get even better performance if I switch to the smaller .045" gap?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 07, 09:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Re: Spark Plug Gaps

I normally gap them all at .045 now for HEI systems. This is recommended in several plug catalogs.
I don't think the system will have problems with the larger gap, as long as all the components are working correctly, unless the engine is taken to the upper RPM limits of the distributor. The system may not be able to achieve the necessary coil saturation to give a good spark event and you could develope a high RPM missfire.
I would imagine you could see any issues by just spiining the car up on a dyno and watching the scope for spark event problems if your really concerned about it.

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 07, 12:17 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: Spark Plug Gaps

The HY ciruit has 2 gaps the plug and the rotor to terminal gap...it is the Total of these that is important...
Spark gap specs assume that the rotor and terminal pins are also in good condition...
As the total gap increses the resistance accross the gaps increases...the current will follow the path of least resistance
Larger the gap the more likely hood of leakage and crossfire from the HT leads, boots...these have to be in top condition.
Thu if these are in good condition oits not a problem

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode