Team Camaro Tech banner

Spare Tire choices

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Vintage 68 
#1 ·
Have a 68 coupe. Want to gain more trunk space by running with a different spare tire. Tires are 215/R70 15's on Cragar SS rims. Have a 205/R70 15 on regular rim as a spare. Anyone using a GM space saver spare? Know I need to check lug patterns, etc., but wondering how a space saver would work when actually used in place of a flat tire? Could I drive 50 or so miles with it. Car is standard height (not lowered).

#2 ·
Most any rear wheel drive GM small bolt pattern space saver spare should fit. If you're referring to the original type that uses a can to inflate it you'll save a little space. If you mean the newer style that's already inflated and just more narrow I don't think you'll gain much since the diameter is the same as a full size tire. I just carry a AAA card... How often do you actually have flat tires ?

#3 ·
Actually ... those 'Temporary' spare tires (I call these "Pretend" spares) found in many newer vehicles are considerably smaller in diameter than most regular "full size" tires :yes:
So installation creates a huge differential in roll-out between the rear tires when installed on rear drive vehicles and can lead to axle/differential issues if run for extended periods.

That said - I still carry one in my 'vert as the spare :thumbsup:
The trunk space is constricted enough in a 'vert and every little bit helps.

I've only used it once, and luckily it was for an issue with a front tire.
I only used it to get the vehicle off a major road and to a service center where I could get the defective tire replaced right away. (they didn't have the size or brand I was running, so I just bought a another tire close to the size and had them mount it on my rim - replaced that as soon as I got home and still have that one odd sized nearly brand new tire in the shop :eek:)

I found the 'Pretend' spare I have at a 'Pick-N-Pull' place on one of the sale days - think I paid @$10 for it :p
I just looked though the trunks of a bunch on GM cars until I found a nice, good sized one with 4.75-on-5 pattern ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.