Team Camaro Tech banner

Done it now...

5K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  67Rally 
#1 ·
Saw what I think is a good deal on an ls1 in craigslist and laid claim to it. Plan to pick it up next week. Looks like I can start planning my ls1 upgrade now. Lots of reading to do and parts to find.

#5 ·
Picked up my LS1

Picked up my LS1 this weekend. :D

It's from a 98 Camaro
Complete with LS6 intake
GTO throttle body that has been ported
Recently reworked heads
LS3 exhaust manifolds (brand new, and I think they are rated to flow 500Hp so no need for headers when you got that).
New accessory rig plus new water pump, new pw steering pump, new alt
Complete custom wiring harness that is marked, fused, and known to already work with this engine - previous owner walked me through his settings and such as well
ECU
Mass Airflow
even had some left over new lifters he gave me
a dual radiator fan setup
Oh yeah he threw on the LS3 oil pan as well, I'm guessing I'll need to replace that but have not yet researched it.

I paid $1600 for the engine, added another $300 for the accessories so I am out the door for $1900 for virtually everything.

Next things to score are

T56 - I am thinking here i might go new since virtually anything I'd buy used I suspect I'd have to rebuild anyway. I still keep wondering if I'd smarter to save a bit of cash and go with the TKO but need to do a lot more research first.

Radiator + hoses etc....
gas tank and fuel system (pump, etc...)

likely need a new custom length drive shaft

engine mounts

I'm also thinking while I am doing this I should really consider rewiring the entire car.

I'll likely also add in subframe connectors while I am doing this

One of the things I started thinking of this weekend was swapping out the entire subframe. I saw a Heidts subframe, coil overs, wilwoods, the works on ebay for slightly over $4K and it got me wondering if I might be better off to just swap something like that in now?

The deciding factor would likely be how much would my complete front subframe with power train be worth to someone as a complete running package? Radiator, engine + all accessories, M21, poly bushings, new control arms but not tubular), newer shocks, Hotchkis 2" lower springs, all together and ready to bolt and go on another car so thinking that may be of value to someone out there?

Anyway lots more research to do, I pulled the trigger on this engine now before I had it all researched because it just looked like too sweet of a deal for me. The previous owner was a 20 something autocross guy that was a hoot. Really enthusiastic, knowledgeable, please to deal with and full of information for me. He had this Ls1 in his Miatta for the last year put about 2000 miles on it and decided he wanted to go bigger. His new LS3 was sitting there ready to go in his car.

Anyway I am excited, a bit intimidated but excited to start down this path and looking forward to re-reading as many of the LS1/T56 swap posts as I can to help guide me.

Randy

Attachments

#8 ·
Nice find. I'd set some money aside for headers in case you need them- those LS3 manifolds may flow well, but you're probably going to have clearance issues on the drivers side with the manifold hitting the steering box. I've yet to hear of someone finding any stock manifolds that work with a 1st gen swap.

#17 ·
The LS1 I picked up is from a 98 Camaro so I went looking for manuals and came across a site called "Slideshare". I found a great service manual for 97-2002 camaro that has parts lists, diagrams, service instructions etc.... This should help me a lot down the road for the entire drive train to see how it was done on the original car.

$12 for the manual downloaded to my Mac in PDF form.

#18 ·
I searched through the site for EFI tank options. The thread I found that was relevant was older but the last post pointed to this site

http://www.glennsperformance.com/index.php?cPath=85

and those look like good tank options for my 69. Just wondering if there are any other good options out there, last discussion I saw said to stay away from the Spectra tank.

Thanks

Randy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.