Sixth Generation Forum to discuss the upcoming 6th Generation Chevrolet Camaro

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 16, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Ray

Garage
My first ride in one.

Was on vacation last week with friends who's son just took delivery of a '15 six cylinder.
His dad and I took it for a run since it was last in the driveway.
I am blown away by the performance of that 6 cylinder. Seem a whole lot faster and much more controllable than my '68. Using the paddle shifters improved overall performance even more.
Dark grey metallic with silver stripes, black interior. His son blacked out the wheels. (why? because it's a generational thing)
I was totally impressed and would buy one tomorrow if I could ever break myself away from the concept of an SUV.
Now I know what all you guys are talking about!

'68 rs/SS 350 M-21 posi
numbers matching
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 16, 12:13 PM
Senior Tech
-

Re: My first ride in one.

Well I would disagree with some of what you said. I drove my friends '15, 6 cylinder automatic car. The car was peppy, may have been more fun with a manual. I had not used paddle shifters before so i gave them try. I was disappointed with the lag time from paddle shift to the trans actually shifting. Maybe I had high expectations, but I had thought it would be almost simultaneous that from paddle shift to trans shift would take place. I would think a Corvette, porsche, or Ferrari would be very quick response from the paddles to trans.

From a HP perspective for a 6 cylinder I thought it was good.
(For a new(er) car I still like the looks and performance of my 2010 Camaro SS. I understand the '16 SS weighs less and has 29 more HP, but I am just not sold on the looks. )
ckaram likes this.

Looking for: Original spiral shocks- 3192477(front),3192851(rear)
-An original LOF soft ray windshield
-JIM EDELBROCK CHEVROLET items-Plymouth Michigan (1968-1970)
*looking for DZ block 19L503829 124379L503829
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 16, 01:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

I test drove a 14 Camaro SS, 13 Challenger R/T and a 13 and 14 Mustang GT when I was buying my new daily about 2 months ago.

First was the Camaro: Kinda felt, well, cramped. It was the previous generation but I don't think much changed regarding that feeling. Visibility just wasn't there. Love the styling and power but I just, frankly, couldn't see enough to feel safe changing lanes.

Challenger: Big. Really big. Not as peppy as the other 2. Down a bit on HP and up a bit on weight.

Mustang: Felt fastest and had great visibility. Bought the 14 when I found one fully loaded with the right stuff. Very happy.

My 68 Camaro's blind spots don't exist. I can see whenever I change lanes.

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 16, 01:25 PM
Senior Tech
-

I agree with you visibility isn't great. I have a 65 fastback Mustang, and that is the top of the heap looks wise for me concerning Mustang. The 05-09 were nice, but the 4.6 was lack luster.
I also have a 69 Camaro, and the 2010 just seemed like it drove right off the pages of a concept magazine article. With the LS platform (which by 2010 had been a proven winner), it was a no brainer for me. Could visibility be better, no doubt. Could it weigh less, sure. The car drives great, and the 426HP, really gets it going. You can cruise at 120mph and it is so smooth. I still wonder how much more it would have cost to have no post and operable rear windows. I think that would have made the visibility better as well.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 16, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Ray

Garage

Well I didn't get a chance to actually drive it. I would have loved to but my friend's son stopped in during our happy hour...dang!
My friend drove while I road shotgun and it seemed like plenty of room. The visibility seemed ok too, which did surprise me. Maybe a little limited to the rear, but overall felt good. I agree the side windows are small looking at the car from 10 feet away, but inside the car your nose is 3" from the side window so field of vision is a mute point.
I couldn't see the speedo but glanced over at one point and saw the tach in the 4k to 5k range on the highway approach. Fast for a six, hell yes!
I can't imagine what you guys with the SS are experiencing. One of these days I've got to drive one of those!

'68 rs/SS 350 M-21 posi
numbers matching
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 16, 08:52 AM
Senior Tech
-

Well your closest chevy dealer probably has at least a 6 cylinder 6th gen you could test drive, the new SS (while I am not a fan of the looks) is lighter and has the extra 25 horse, so it is a fun ride.
I am an old car guy so my first preference is to grab the keys of classic, over something new.
I purchased the 2010 SS for my wife as kinda a back up car, or to be used when she has to drive to LA or san diego over night. Even though the color is considered rare, there are a bunch of 5th Gen Camaros out there, so I don't worry (as much) when she goes out of town, like i would if she parked one of our 60's cars overnight.
I drive the 2010 every so often, and it is just a different feeling horsepower wise, vs the 69.
The 6 speed manual is fun, I will probably put one in my 64 C/10.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 16, 04:56 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

I have poor visibility in my 99 Camaro vert and my 05 Vette. You get used to it and is much more fun than a Camry or SUV!!! Of course the fun is had in my 3 69 Camaros as well.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 16, 05:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Garage

You'll really be wowed if you drive the 16 SS manual. Complete rocket ship. But I was really disappointed by the looks. I loved my 5th gen SS. I know they lightened the new one with the ATS platform but the looks and cramped quarters didn't outweigh the incredible performance for me needing a daily driver.

Traded in my 5th gen for a Scat Pack Shaker 392 Challenger. Wow. Monster torque, great retro looks and room to sprawl.

Love to own a Mustang someday, but I also can't get past the Fusion nose on those things.
BULLITT65 likes this.

Check my rides:

1968 Camaro Convertible LS1, T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Challenger RT Scat Pack Shaker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 16, 10:53 AM
Senior Tech
-

Your challenger looks nice. I like the looks of the Challenger over the 2016 Camaro, and Mustang. Seems like '16 Camaro and Mustang are borrowing styling cues from each other.
Not a good thing.
I have heard the Challenger drives bigger than the Camaro and Mustang. I know it weighs more, and most guys are not road racing there cars. What has your experience been so far?

What were some of the reasons for trading in your 5th Gen?

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 16, 12:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLITT65 View Post
Your challenger looks nice. I like the looks of the Challenger over the 2016 Camaro, and Mustang. Seems like '16 Camaro and Mustang are borrowing styling cues from each other.
Not a good thing.
I have heard the Challenger drives bigger than the Camaro and Mustang. I know it weighs more, and most guys are not road racing there cars. What has your experience been so far?

What were some of the reasons for trading in your 5th Gen?
Thanks BULLITT65. Drives much bigger, but I'm impressed with the handling on the big car. I had absolutely zero issues with my 2SS 5th gen. She was a beaut--inferno orange outside and in. I was certain I was going to trade it in on the 6th gen. Then I drove one and couldn't get past the styling and cramped quarters.

I always loved the very cool retro look of the Challenger. Used to car pool in a white one back in grade school. With the revised looks in 2015 I was sold. Then throw the shaker option on it, not to mention my brother's employee pricing...hard to pass up. Car is a beast with the 392, 3.90 gears and the 6-speed. The Hemi gets the pig up and rolling fast! This is my daily driver so no road racing. If I was a road racer, no question I would have bought the new Camaro.

Check my rides:

1968 Camaro Convertible LS1, T56

2016 Challenger RT Scat Pack Shaker
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 16, 06:05 PM
Nolan

Bullitt, I am old, or would the term be older! (58) I purchased a '16 SS two months ago and am totally consumed by the handling and capabilities built in to the car. Small for some? Yes, but I didn't buy it to be a hauler. I reviewed the market and was ready to punch the ticket and pick up a Challenger, but over the last 5-7 years they have lost there appeal to me. Loved the old school feel they had the first few years then the recent changes just struck me wrong. In addition I was looking at the '15 Camaros and they really caught my interest but as I researched the '16 more and more I found myself drawn to it. It's stance, appearance, and flat out ability to move sold me.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 16, 03:47 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Buddy of mine just brought home a 2017 Anniversary Edition to go with his 67.

I'm waiting for him to bring it by.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 16, 04:47 PM
Senior Tech
Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUG G View Post
Buddy of mine just brought home a 2017 Anniversary Edition to go with his 67.

I'm waiting for him to bring it by.
My nephew just bought a 2016 or 17? Not sure which. Got it about a month ago.

It's got the 450 hp LS3 and it's awesomely fast.

Putting a cast-iron block 6.0 with LS3 heads and GM hot cam in my 68.

Can't wait- should be 500 hp.

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
Ronald Reagan
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 16, 06:22 PM
Senior Tech
Chick

Garage

We purchased a 2015 Z/28 this past Nov. when GM was offering a 20% off window sticker plus additional dealer discounted so huge savings. That is one heck of a car! And amazing the amount of people that do not know what it is. Performance and handling is obscene.

Chick
68, 69, & 2015 Z/28's
69 Nova's L34 Father/Son & L78 Surv purch-new
67, 68, & 2015 Z06 Corvettes
Our 68Z Restoration
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 16, 07:39 PM
Tech Team
Kyle

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLITT65 View Post
Well I would disagree with some of what you said. I drove my friends '15, 6 cylinder automatic car. The car was peppy, may have been more fun with a manual. I had not used paddle shifters before so i gave them try. I was disappointed with the lag time from paddle shift to the trans actually shifting. Maybe I had high expectations, but I had thought it would be almost simultaneous that from paddle shift to trans shift would take place. I would think a Corvette, porsche, or Ferrari would be very quick response from the paddles to trans.

From a HP perspective for a 6 cylinder I thought it was good.
(For a new(er) car I still like the looks and performance of my 2010 Camaro SS. I understand the '16 SS weighs less and has 29 more HP, but I am just not sold on the looks. )
Agree with the drab looks, although it is an improvement from Gen 5 introduction.....IMO. The Mustang is just much better looking but alas, it's a F**D......so no.

The C6 Corvette paddle shift was good.....But when I'm in the throttle of my 550hp TT AWD Porsche......it is instantaneous. I didn't care for the paddles in my old 528i. It's more of a novelty I think, MOSTLY.....I just put them in D and go, because they are smarter than me.

What do you mean, "I ain't kind"? I'm just not your kind. -Megadeth, Peace Sells

My El Camino build thread:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode