6th Gen Camaro to be the last (for a while) - Page 2 - Team Camaro Tech
Sixth Generation Forum to discuss the upcoming 6th Generation Chevrolet Camaro

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 19, 07:43 PM
Senior Tech
Bruce

Re: 6th Gen Camaro to be the last (for a while)

The Impala is toast as well and the Cruze is a great small car is also toast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 19, 08:25 PM
John

Garage

The money for the big 3 is in trucks and SUVs
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 19, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57vette View Post
Lets give Ford credit where its due. They never gave up, even when they made that fuggly Mustang II. Somebody at Ford had the smarts to talk to enthusiasts in their pre 2005 focus groups who probably begged for a real throwback look. The 2005 Mustang was spot on, and 6th Gen Mustangs were easily ID'd with the Mustang heritage.

I'm in a club dominated by Mopars, must be 15 Challengers now, even one husband & wife both driving challengers, and another with the wife having a BOSS302, the husband a Shelby. My feeling is that Dodge did a good job, not quite as good as Ford did. I've driven in both the Boss, the Shelby, and the HellCats and I like the Mustangs on the road.

We also have some newer Camaro's in the club. Boy... how many times can you say they missed the boat from a styling point of view. Look back at the '69 Camaro and if you can't be inspired by that... their designers should go back to School. The '69 grill whether its a regular or RS is legendary... and just like Ford, Dodge, even BMW adopted an old, iconic look into a slightly more contemporary design, the chevy designers could've done the same. I'm a retired Industrial Designer, so I spent 2 hours tweaking the front. Like it or hate it?
I like the idea, and you can see the inspiration is the first generation, but they need an overhaul to a smaller body. While I like the 5th gen, it seems like a really big body on the outside, and small on the inside. Seems like there is a 1 foot of air bags and safety equipment in between the inside and the outside. The 6th gen outside dimensions were better but the outisde design and interior were crap. I would rather see a slim line model more based on the smaller 67 Camaro design:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-08-19 at 5.54.54 PM.png
Views:	22
Size:	415.0 KB
ID:	228709  

Looking for: Original spiral shocks- 3192477(front),3192851(rear)
-An original LOF soft ray windshield
-JIM EDELBROCK CHEVROLET items-Plymouth Michigan (1968-1970)
*looking for DZ block 19L503829 124379L503829

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 19, 09:16 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

Garage

I like the 5th and 6th gens. I don't like them more than 1st gens, but I like them. The single biggest design defect is the super high belt-line. I know it's for the side curtains, but you can no longer comfortably rest your elbow on the door. Apparently, no one at GM ever went cruising. On the bright side, the performance is tenacious and the ride with MRC is comfortable, even on lousy roads.

Back to the style issue. I agree with you guys, GM should have done a retro theme derived from the 1st gen. While GM argues the 5th gen does that, I don't really agree with them. Ford definitely gets a hats-off for the Mustang styling.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 19, 05:56 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

GM has the electric COPC Camaro. . . . .maybe testing to see the reaction, compete with the electric Mustang? Can only hope!
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 19, 06:39 AM
Team Member
Ray

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Camaro Guy View Post
GM has the electric COPC Camaro. . . . .maybe testing to see the reaction, compete with the electric Mustang? Can only hope!
I thought I saw a flash on the news about the Mustang going electric. I couldn't believe my ears! Also possibly a four door? Huh????

I like those renderings you guys posted. Cool looking. My beef going way back to 2010 with the Camaro design was and still is that high belt line and tiny side windows. I always thought that threw the whole concept off the retro look. Also the fat butt doesn't help.

Yeah always felt Chevy designers missed the boat compared to Mustang and Challenger. To this day if I see one of those on the road I double take to check if it's an oldie or new one.

Chevy killing the Camaro for 2022 just may be a ploy to get us all to by while we can.

'68 rs/SS 350 M-21 posi
numbers matching
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 19, 06:46 AM
Senior Tech
Jon

Yep, more than likely the next gen Camaro will be a four door SUV pos.

Or a four door SUX, which the current version does equally well.
rgwiz likes this.

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 19, 06:51 AM
Team Member
Ray

Garage

Just ran across this;
https://electrek.co/2019/11/05/elect...AadZBhuCUqO3xo

'68 rs/SS 350 M-21 posi
numbers matching
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 19, 05:38 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

Combustible engines will be a thing of past in a few short years. Charging stations are popping up all over just ahead of several EV's that coming.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 19, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
-

doubt it. The infrastructure to complete such a task would take decades. I don't disagree that the current trend is going that direction, but currently the combustible engine is still the most efficient to produce. The expense and carbon footprint of an electric car is still quite large. It takes quite a bit more raw materials to make an electric vehicle. While solar is coming along it is still a small fraction compared to the other sources of electricity.

Looking for: Original spiral shocks- 3192477(front),3192851(rear)
-An original LOF soft ray windshield
-JIM EDELBROCK CHEVROLET items-Plymouth Michigan (1968-1970)
*looking for DZ block 19L503829 124379L503829
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 19, 07:10 AM
Team Member
Ray

Garage

Yep and that electricity used to re-charge your anything comes from coal and oil fired generating plants. So much for "clean energy".
It's politics at it's worst trying to buy votes as usual. Meanwhile third world Country's are still dumping raw sewage into rivers.

'68 rs/SS 350 M-21 posi
numbers matching
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 19, 07:19 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

The same argument with power tools and all the other conveniences that are battery powered. I see new neighborhoods that are energy efficient with all new houses using solar panels. My friend went from Charlotte to New Orleans in his Tesla at a cost of $29. He has fun with guys that want to race him. . . . never been beat, thats cool.I don't want to admit that EV's are coming, but Cadillac and the Ford 150 and others, like self driving 18 wheelers as well, will be coming out with their EV in the next 18 months. Many countries are mandating this as well. If the demand is there the infrastructure will be built. Fossil fuels will go away in time to support EV as well. Time will tell. Just an old guy talking that loves those V8's.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 19, 11:37 AM
Probationer

I prefer 5th gen but I've been looking forward to the 7th gen. That's sad.

post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 19, 10:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

I think the general consensus is that Ford is/was the master of retro styling when it comes to this category. Dodge did a very commendable job, but Ford just blew everyone away with the 2005 design, and they've progressed since then. Seems a shame that with all the supposed marketing smarts in the automotive business, GM basically blew it over and over since the "reintroduction".

What's really pathetic is that with the '69 design having become such an iconic one, GM didn't survey tons of '69 owners and do focus groups with them. Have you ever seen a tv commercial for a camaro in the past 10 years? Ford has been so successful with sales they did little to advertise, but Dodge has been a very aggressive tv marketeer, and it's kept the Challenger selling enough to keep it a strong number two.

We now know that Ford considers the Mustang brand so strong they're introducing an electric powered Mustang crossover to expand the brands appeal to family folks. Many current young Mustang owners are scowling, but those past Mustang owners who are now married with a kid or two, and maybe even thinking Tesla... all of a sudden they might be thinking Mach E with 0-60 performance that rivals the 5.0 coyote. Is it marketing genius or a disaster in the making? Time will tell.

Meanwhile, the Camaro seems to be destined to join Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Mercury, Plymouth, DeSoto, Thunderbirds, and many more once famous brands that are now buried. The sad thing is that Ford is still selling a ton of Mustangs, Dodge is selling plenty of Challengers, so there IS a market for a 2+2 performance 2-door car... if it's decent looking and competitive.
68Tiger likes this.

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode