Elec. ignition choices ? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 07, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Retired
Jim

Elec. ignition choices ?

Im going to be getting rid of my Mallory Unilite system and going to either a Petronix or Breakerless system.

Breakerless is one wire but Petronix is 2 wire. Ive read other posts of guys that have the Petronix and like it but anyone used the Breakerless?
Any thoughts on which would be better for my pretty much standard 350/255 ?

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 07, 09:13 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: Elec. ignition choices ?

Jim - I would look into the new MSD electronic dist. You set the advance curve with small switches inside the dist. Totally adjustable, it's called the Digital e-curve and is a stand alone not requiring an MSD box. Might be a bit expensive but caught my eye as a desirable item...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 07, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Retired
Jim

I looked at them Dennis MSD Dist but none were standard plug wire cap type. I need to keep the profile standard and low to clear the cowl induction air filter stuff. All the dist. in the MSD site were the taller HEI type, except a 6 cylinder version I will keep browsing them anyway. Thanks.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 07, 09:50 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

I didn't realize the cap was that tall on it, it is a small body and I assumed it took hei wire ends and was stock size...

Might look into a stock points dist (real cheap) and sending it to Dave Ray www.davessmallbodyheis.com and he'll rebuild it to be an hei with a stock cap. He straightens the shaft, re-chromes it and basically blueprints it as he rebuilds it. I've had one in the White Wonder for years and am very happy with the performance of it.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 07, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Retired
Jim

My current dist. could be rebuilt plus I have a box of 5 other dist. that could be rebuilt as well. Id like to keep the old style plug wires for their look but I will call Dave and ask him about options, thanks emailed him for his ideas now

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 07, 10:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

The Petronix 1181 is a well designed unit that replaces the points and condenser. It not only maintains a stock look but also works well with a stock coil and resistor wire. The black wire connects to the negative (-) side of the coil just like the wire that went to the points, and the red wire is connected to a 12v source to power the module. The ING connector on the fuse block is a good place to connect the red wire.

I used the stock coil when I installed the 1181 Ignitor in my car as I did not want to eliminate the resistor wire. It works great all the way up to 6500 RPM.

Steve

I drove it for the first time in 1972 when I was 15.

Better looking than a '56 Ford or Plymouth.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 07, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Retired
Jim

thanks steve my engine will never see 6500rpm, I hope

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 07, 01:32 PM
Senior Tech

I've used the Pertronix module with good success and Crane also has one (called XRi I think) which has a built in adjustable rev limiter. I have one in my current Camaro and it has been no problem. It is roughly the same price as the Pertronix. Both are nice if you want to retain the stock distributor.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 07, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Retired
Jim

Ok If I send in a dist. to be rebuilt, how does a fella know which one to send in? Do the weights and springs have to change, what about vac can? Different one for that too?
I have 5 spare dist. and the Unilite one thats in the car now. Would any of these be better than another?
1111152 from 1966 327-275 w/o AIR
1112844 from 1974 350/145 Camaro
1111249 from 1967 327/275 Camaro
1111150 from 1966 283/195 ??
1111483 from 1968 327/210 Camaro

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 07, 02:53 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Jim - I would talk to Dave, he would know. I'm guessing though but it probably doesn't matter as he recurves the dist to your combo. An alum over a steel might be the decider... He will request information such as compression, carb used, headers, cam spec's, plugs etc. He will set you up with what you you want as far as vacuum advance (modified stock style or an adjustable) and will provide extra springs so you can fine tune. You also have a choice of cap hei style or point style and he provides all part numbers and complete instructions to get the most out of the new ignition. Best part is if something does fail you can get parts at any parts house without waiting over night for something from the wherehouse... Not that breakdown is a problem, mines been in since before the Seattle trip and the engine fires just like the day I installed it...

...Dennis

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 07, 03:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I would guess theresa bunch of people here who'd know what aftermarket distributor besdies a unilite will fit under a cowl air cleaner?

MSD does sell a cap with normal plug wires, but of course you'd have to buy it in addition to the hei terminal cap it comes with, and I don't know how tall it is.

I'm sure Dave builds a great dizzy, but somehow I never liked the idea of hanging the module outsaide the case. It wouldn't last a month with me as often as I take a hose to her.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 07, 01:27 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
...somehow I never liked the idea of hanging the module outsaide the case. It wouldn't last a month with me as often as I take a hose to her.
If the terminals are greased up good with dielectric goo, there shouldn't be a problem. But it definately would be a tune-up item to inspect periodically. So far, mine has nothing but dust on it. Hopefully I'll get it painted one day and run it through some puddles.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 08, 09:22 AM
Randy

I went with the MSD E-Curve and really like it. Click on my username and go to my posts, I have one large post with info you might be interested in on the digital age and the E-Curve. Randy
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 08, 06:11 PM

I have 31 Dave's small-body HEI conversions, from his MSD trigger only, regular HEI for carburetted engines, and his new ones, EFI-HEI feedback for EFI systems. ALL use the module OUTSIDE the body, NONE have ever had weather issues. One of the systems is on one of my I/H Travel-All's, and it runs in the mud and snow all the time in winter, never had an issue with his stuff. He is now doing one for my 32nd project, 1965 Pontiac GTO, 455, 4 speed, with tri-power.

I used to use a lot of other systems on my project vehicles, with mediocre to bad results. Now, when I get a new project to do, as I now have waiting in the driveway, project number 33, I don't even go for the other systems, except for an MSD box if that project gets one (and, then, Dave gets the distributor for it for one of his MSD trigger only conversions). I just remove the distributor, and, send it to Dave, along with one of his specification sheets. It comes back right, the first time, with no hassles, no problems.

His web site is - davessmallbodyheis.com - His e/mail is - [email protected]

Regards,

Milton
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 08, 07:32 PM
David Pozzi

You could mount the module anywhere, even under the dash, just mount it on a good heat sink.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode