water heater at home issue - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 07, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Retired
Jim

water heater at home issue

Wife says we are not getting enuf hot water, its running out to often. Well, its 120 gallon heater on off peak. 2 elements, one on top and one on bottom. I called my buddy at the Coop power company and he said to turn off breaker and check with ohm meter on lower element, so I did.
My digital was set at 200 Ohms, the reading was 1 then when I touched the probes to each other the reading was .3 then when I touched the probes to the heating element bolts, the reading was 13 so what does that all mean? Is the element blown or not? My buddy is at lunch so I have not heard back from him. If its blown I can replace it easy enuf.

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 07, 01:35 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: water heater at home issue

Jim - dug this up off of the web for you. Turn breaker off and disconnect both wires from the element.

"The resistance reading should be close to the voltage squared divided by the wattage of the element. A 240 volt 4500 watt element should measure around 12.8 ohms. Also check to see if you have any resistance between each terminal of the element and ground. This should show infinite resistance. If you get any continuity between any terminal and ground, the element is shorted out and will need to be replaced."

If both elements check OK - look into the thermostat being the culprit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 07, 01:46 PM

I have the Bosch "on demand" heater. No tank and can run hot during two main operations (i.e. shower and laundry can be done at the same time). Space saver too.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 07, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Retired
Jim

thanks Al will do that process after supper..
With 3 girls, 4 bathrooms, laundry, dishwasher and sinks running, Id run out the 'on demand' unit fast lol This system is VERY cheap, I get 3cent per k/w rate and heat up 120 gallons to 170 degrees at night, then a tempering valve mixes the water as it leaves the heater to 115 temp to the baths, etc. The 'on demand' systems here have to use regular rate of 16 cents per k/w,,, yikes

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 07, 03:23 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Wow... My 60 gal gas unit keeps up with 2 showers at a time and the dishwasher or washer going. That cold weather really takes it's toll.

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 07, 03:32 PM

If the water heater is in your basement and you have some way to drain it, I suggest turning off the feed to the tank, attach a garden hose to the bottom and drain the tank. Once drained, pull each heater element out and inspect it. A friend bought a condo with a bad heater and the resistance still read in check. I forget what it was, but it certainly wasn't in the Kohms or anything that would make you think it was bad. We pulled out I believe the upper element, and it was TORCHED! We must have been reading the resistance of the water and one small sliver of metal still attached because it barely made the full loop, and crumbled in his hand. I recall the socket was some weird size; I still have it; something like 1-3/4". They really are a simple setup. If its not an element, its the thermostat, and those are an easy replacement as well.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 07, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Retired
Jim

Yep 1 1/16th bolt size to remove it if I need too. Dont even have to drain it.. 120 gallons takes forever, just pull out and slap the new one back in on the bottom REAL Quick, might loose 1/2 gallon of water but the floor drain is right there.
Dennis, the gas w.h. will keep up much better than elec. no question. But gas is more expensive to heat with when I get 3 cent rate on my w.h. Im pretty cheap too

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 07, 04:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

When draining, open the nearest faucet to break vacumn in system. Turn off supply. Also, won't mineral deposit cake on elements and give you a "good" reading??

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 07, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

I just went through this exercise with daughter & son-in-law wtr htr in Mass.

I killed power and ohm measured the elements, both 12 ohms, +/-1 ohm diff.
Turn power on, measured 220 VAC across terminals on one element.
Each element has its own thermostat.
Turned up t/stat on upper element and heard water cooking and 220 VAC across it. Turned down t/stat and proceeded to bottom element.
Turned up t/stat and no action, no voltage. Exercised t/stat. T/stat finally closed and element cooking water.
Set both t/stat's back to the same setting, just under hot, about 3/4 range. A week later, lots of hot water, 62 gal tank.

Moral of story, no ohms, element open.
No voltage, bad t/stat.

If element has to be changed, or t/stat needs to be changed, good time to attach hose and drain/clean tank. Be sure when done, to purge all air from tank, air is the worst enemy on an element.

If tank is over 10 years old, might consider to have it replaced this spring, peace of mind. Wife will really like you.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 07, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Retired
Jim

thanks Ev... tank will be 10 years old this summer but has had only soft water in it the whole time. I should get 20 years out of the tank but I will see what comes of all this. Power Co. is sending an elec. over in the morning to check it out, free

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 07, 09:32 PM
RSS
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Was a little late seeing your post. Sounds like you have it squared away. If you still have problems, post back and we'll have you up to par in no time.

It takes a fool or an idiot to first criticize! It takes a wise and intelligent man to first ask why!

1969 coupe under going restification (Almost Done!)
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 07, 03:26 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
thanks Ev..Power Co. is sending an elec. over in the morning to check it out, free
You're welcome. Doesn't hurt to have a free professional.

Yes, with soft water, you just might get 20 yrs. I got 15 yrs on my city water heater.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 07, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Retired
Jim

elec. checked both elements, still good, bottom of w.h. was hot at 9am so it heated up overnight. Now looking at toilet mixing valve that is turned OFF but might have failed somehow, but toilet tanks are cool not warm so doubt its that. Maybe daughters are taking 30 min. showers then doing laundry to much. thanks guys, we are doing a 'use' analysis now.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 07, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Blame it on the women, never a man's fault.

'
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 07, 06:48 PM

do you think maybe its a mineral build up???they put an anode rod in water heaters to collect mineral deposits, but if running well water, maybe you are getting alot of build up on the elements and rod...maybe the rod is full???...not working efficently through the crud...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode