68 RS With 67 Electric Motor to Open - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 07, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Kalif Johnson

Send a message via AIM to dreamweaver
68 RS With 67 Electric Motor to Open

I have a 69 Camaro, but my friend has a 68, and he needs some help. Here's his situation:

He has a 68 RS, and it has the 68 electrical wiring harness... But his headlight door mechanism was changed over to a 67 before he got it... so instead of having the vaccum actuators, he has the electrical motors to open and close the doors. The only way he can open the headlight doors is if he disconnects the linkage and opens them manually. He can't figure out how to wire it to where it will open automatically. Any input would be appreciated. He's a mechanic, but not too familiar with first gen Camaros yet. If I don't respond back to replies right away it's because I will have to be the "conduit" (no pun intended) for the information --- he knows cars, and I know how to access information on this site and the internet --- Laurel and Hardy

"The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim." - Gustave Le Bon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 07, 10:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs up Re: 68 RS With 67 Electric Motor to Open

Steve, he can install the relay control system that will energize the doors system when the lights are switched on if it isn't already there.
If you study the '67 wiring diagram you will see how it was connected to the stock system.
I believe the wiring loom that will plug into the standard wiring is available from one of the repopper's, but I haven't checked into it in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamweaver View Post
... Any input would be appreciated.
... He's a mechanic, but not too familiar with first gen Camaros yet ...
Laurel and Hardy
This must be your new "guest house guest"
I take the "monkey" is off your back then ...

John

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 07, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Kalif Johnson

Re: 68 RS With 67 Electric Motor to Open

No, "live-in "mechanic" is still lurking about, but just about time to drop the hammer. This other guy is a real friend, and he knows his stuff (except for specifics like this). He actually drove down here friday night from Reno, through a snow storm, just to help me do the engine swap (which dodn't "fully" happen, but that's another story).

On the wiring diagram, can I find it on this (or another) site, or will he need to purchase it somewhere? He's about as computer savvy as I am with cars, so I guess we compliment each other Thanks John.

"The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim." - Gustave Le Bon

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 07, 08:54 PM

they have a book just on the rally sport wireing diag. I suggest you get that it will show everything. I believe you might need to use a 67 headlight switch for the connection to the relays.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 07, 06:35 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

I’m a little surprised that electric motors were installed but the rest of the RS system was not attempted. Have you checked that none of the other 67 RS stuff is there (limit switches, relays, wire harness, under dash diode)? One stumbling block is the different bulkhead connectors on the 68 firewall which does not work with the 67 RS harness. Fortunately Rick’s First Generation now offers a special 67 RS front wire harness which plugs directly into the 68 bulkhead. If all you have is the motors you may want to convert back to vacuum or use an electronic conversion kit. Both Retro-Electro and DSE offer different electronic systems. I make the Retro-Electro version. The electronic conversions save time and are far less problematic. For more help on the original 67 RS system kit, including the wiring diagram see my 67 RS help page here: http://www.retro-electro.net/FAQ.html
Regardless of which route you choose feel free to call me with any questions @ 973 728 7232.
Mark
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 07, 11:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marktat View Post
One stumbling block is the different bulkhead connectors on the 68 firewall which does not work with the 67 RS harness. Fortunately Rick’s First Generation now offers a special 67 RS front wire harness which plugs directly into the 68 bulkhead.
Sorry to hijack this thread, but do you know what the part number or name is for this item? I have an entire 67 front end, wiring and all that I'm trying to mate with my 68. I assumed it was a plug and play opperation, and have never heard they were different before, so I'm guessing I need this piece.

Jason
2009 CTS-V - 1968 Camaro 327/M20 Sequoia Green
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 07, 11:50 AM
Senior Tech
Rob

You might want to check into the aftermarket headlight motors (I think it's retro -electric), I got a set off ebay for a 67 car that was cloned in appearance but not function. They bolted right in place of the original motors and work great. No additional switches or relays needed, they work right off the light circuit when you turn the lights on and off.
However, if you go through the trouble to hook up the original 67 motors correctly with all the switches, relays, and don't forget to add in the diode, just to find out the motors you have don't work you would likely be money ahead to just do the conversion.

Just a thought! If you have as little as I do now, TIME is MONEY !

I just checked the 67 replacement motors are $225 for the pair, the 68 & 69 conversion kits are $525 and $550.
His EBAY seller ID is sparkys67.

I don't know how I missed Marks post (above) but that's who I was referencing, he is very helpfull over the phone. I did call him before I bought mine and was going to put his # here but didn't see it in his current Auction.

00 Berger SS Conv 375HP /69 Conv. SS 454 T10
67 GTO Conv. 400 POP /68 Conv. RS/SS 396 4spd
67 Conv. RS/SS Clone 396 TH400

Last edited by myyenco; Feb 15th, 07 at 12:12 PM. Reason: verified pricing
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 07, 05:50 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Thanks Myyenko, much appreciated.

The 68 to 67 RS harness is part 50743. Here is Ricks First Gen's decription:

68 TO 67 RS FRONT LIGHT
CONVERSION HARNESS
Allows use of 67 electric
doors on a 68. Solves
the mating problem with
67 pin style connectors
to the later 68 blade
type firewall fuse box.
(RS diode harness 71830 required)
50743 68 to 67 RS Conversion harness ............ 225.00
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 07, 10:45 PM
David Pozzi

Here's a 67 RS wiring diagram and some explanation of it's function. The diagram is NOT in the 67 chevy service manual, but is sold by various resto vendors.
http://www.pozziracing.com/camaro_electrical.htm

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 07, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Kalif Johnson

Thanks so much for all the help - I know he will appreciate it. I know I do... I'm doing this as his proxy because he's not really internet savvy. I have been relaying the information to him as best as I can... he hasn't figured out how to download attachments using Yahoo mail and, since it takes him a long time to figure out how links work, I'm copying and pasting the info to him as it comes in. Thanks again.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 07, 04:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marktat View Post
Thanks Myyenko, much appreciated.

The 68 to 67 RS harness is part 50743. Here is Ricks First Gen's decription:

68 TO 67 RS FRONT LIGHT
CONVERSION HARNESS
Allows use of 67 electric
doors on a 68. Solves
the mating problem with
67 pin style connectors
to the later 68 blade
type firewall fuse box.
(RS diode harness 71830 required)
50743 68 to 67 RS Conversion harness ............ 225.00
Thanks a lot! I actually just found it in their print catalog, its just not listed yet on the electronic one.

Jason
2009 CTS-V - 1968 Camaro 327/M20 Sequoia Green
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 07, 09:19 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

I didn't want to find out what was good and bad in the headlight system when I was going back together with my hardtop.I ordered a set of retro motors from Mark's company and used a standard headlight harness. Worked great without any headaches!

67 R/S convertible Nantucket blue deluxe interior orig.

67 rs-ss coupe 565BB-400turbo streetcar/racer project 1.43 60ft 9.683 140.91

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode