Wiring - Painless or Not??? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 07, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Send a message via Yahoo to IDS_Bill
Wiring - Painless or Not???

Hey,

So has anyone has any experience with Painless wiring harnesses? I will be rewiring the entire '67 camaro and am wonderig if the Painless stuff is appropriately named or is it too far from OEM?

Since I am restoring (as much as a Yenko clone can be a restoration) the car, I want the wiring to look stock where it will be visible.

Thanks,

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 07, 07:48 PM
ENP
Senior Tech

Re: Wiring - Painless or Not???

No experience with the Painless kit but I would recommend American Autowire "Factory Fit" harnesses. I replaced every wire in my 69 camaro with the "Factory Fit" harnesses. In my opinion, it's the only way to go.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 07, 07:51 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

2nd the AAW harness. I did mine and it's a great product.

His and Hers Marina blue 67's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 07, 08:13 PM
Senior Tech

Bill -

You can search on here for Painless. Some think it's okay, but I have heard a lot of horror stories too. Seems like the installation instructions aren't the greatest.

You say you want it to look stock where it can be seen, but the Painless fuse block is the modern blade style, so I don't know if that's what you want.

As the others have mentioned, AAW makes an excellent plug and go type line of harnesses, their Factory Fit line. M&H is another OEM style manufacturer. If you do an entire car, figure $600 to $900 depending on which harnesses you get. They will be as close to original as it gets. You can also specify some tweaks, like wiring for an internally regulated alternator and HEI ignition, for a minimal fee.

If you want to keep the cost down (like half), have all new wiring, don't mind the modern style fuse block, and want some flexibility for possible upgrades down the road (For example a computer controlled engine, electric fuel pump, power seats and windows, electric fan, etc.), then you may want to look at the AAW Classic Update Kits. they can be had for $450 or so, and include evrything you need and then some. The main underdash harness comes with the wires bundled together/trunking or branching off at aproximately the correct distances. It's somewhat like the Painless kit, in that you must add terminals at most ends, but unlike the Painless, all the connectors are OE style and just plain fit and function correctly. If you take your time running the wires and wrap them in the non-stick vinyl tape like OE, it is hard to tell that it's not except for the fuse block. Their installation instructions are very detailed and easy to follow.

AAW's customer service and tech support are second to none, and if you buy from a reseller (like Rick's or someplace), you get the same level of support.

My Classic Update took a lot more hours than a plug and play because I was very particular about how they were run and wrapped, and because I kept getting interrupted, but I am very happy with the product and would use it again. AAW was there every step of the way, answering every little question.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 07, 08:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour

AAW.
IF you dont want the new blade style as stated and IF you dont mind laying the wire out in its entirety and cutting it where it needs to be cut and such.

AAW Factory Fit.

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 07, 08:20 PM
Senior Tech
John

M/H or aaw you can't go wrong,
just plug and play
even a caveman can do it
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 07, 08:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Ditto what Eric and Harley said.

Also worth adding that the AAW people are site sponsors and active members here. Note that to be a site sponsor takes more than flipping Al some money. He is VERY particular.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 07, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Send a message via Yahoo to IDS_Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
Ditto what Eric and Harley said.

Also worth adding that the AAW people are site sponsors and active members here. Note that to be a site sponsor takes more than flipping Al some money. He is VERY particular.
You guys sold me - I will give the AAW guys a try.

Thanks a ton!

Bill
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 07, 11:02 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

I've used both Painless and American Autowire. Both are good systems. I do prefer AAW because of their attention to detail in the fusebox area and their instructions are clearer. I would recommend AAW.

Daddy's Hot Rod.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 07, 01:19 PM
AAW

Hi Bill,
I'm Theresa from AAW. If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to help answer them. If you want to post them here, I'll check back or if you prefer to call me. Feel free...

If you just want a catalog to see your options, pm me your address and I'll be happy to mail you one.

Thank you for the nice things you all said in this thread.

Have a great day!
~T

Ray Walder
Sales, American Autowire

Shop our online store @

Tech Questions?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 07, 02:44 PM

I know this is late, but AAW is an incredible product. I never wired a car before, but with the instructions it seemed easy.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 07, 10:42 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Damn! Theresa! Now that's service.

Daddy's Hot Rod.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 07, 08:37 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage

Recieved my AAW engine harness & alt. upgrade to SI. yesterday. Very happy with it.
Nice looking & everything plugged right in.
I was impressed with the soliniod wires, a bellhousing bolt bracket was there. Nice.

67 RS 327, 4-speed, posi, done.
67 Modified, 454, TH-400, posi, under construction.
67 SS 396, 4-speed, basket case.
72 RS, sitting, partially done.
55 210 post, 2 door, 327 4-speed runs good.
55 2 door post, gasser project
69 Cadillac ElDorado
69 4x4 suburban
59 ElCamino

Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing thru the leather straps"
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 07, 03:07 PM
Tech Team

I am putting in a Painless and I am happy with it. I would probably not reccomend it for a total original restoration but for a somewhat modified car it is really great since there are many added circuits and it is also easy to make modifications here and there. I like the option of routing and termiating the wires where I want to but that isn't for everyone.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 07, 04:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

painless is a pain in the @#$
go with AAW its troublefree and the wires are labeled correctly.
I just wish they incorporated the headlight relay fix from MAD electrical

434 stroker
US Navy retired

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode