Volt Meter Reading - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 07, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

Question Volt Meter Reading

I Finished A Total Restoration On My 1968 Camaro And Lastly Installesd A Set Of Aftermarket Gauges. My Problem Is Two Fold;my Tachometer Works Fine For A Few Minutes And Then Zeros Itself Out And Doesnt Come Back Until Vehicle Is Restarted. Second Is My Volt Meter Reads 13.5 / 14.0 Volts At Idle,then As You Accelerate It Climbs To 16 Volts. What Should I Look For In These Two Problems? Thanks,smallblockmike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 07, 05:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Volt Meter Reading

I would suspect a problem with the ground on the voltage regulator. Lack of a ground would cause the voltage to "run away"

I had this initially when I put my car back together, even though I did have the regulator's ground wire connected to the rad support. It turned out that the entire radiator support was "floating"" ungrounded due to all the new paint. Some star washers under some boltheads fixed it up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 07, 03:27 PM
Senior Tech

Just to make sure the voltmeter is not off, does it read approx 12.5 without the engine running?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 07, 05:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblockmike View Post
my Tachometer Works Fine For A Few Minutes And Then Zeros Itself Out And Doesnt Come Back Until Vehicle Is Restarted.
I am having this same problem, but the tach comes and goes (mostly goes) while driving the car. This original tach is securely connected to a new wiring harness and I have double checked the grounds and have them connected with star washers. Is there a screw connected ground point on the back of the tach that I can run a ground wire to? It's really hard to see back there.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 07, 10:42 AM
Senior Tech

Voltage problems could cause the tach to malfunction, though I've never seen this myself. Silicon diodes, for example, will break down once they heat up to a certain point. I'd follow Jim's advice and give the regulator circuit some attention. You should have no more than 14.5 volts.

On a separete note, lead acid batteries (not glass matt or gel types) should not exceed 16 volts under charge. If they do, it's an indication that the battery is "sulfated".

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 07, 05:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Where is the most logical place to put these star washers to insure a firm ground? My radiator support was powder coated which could be contributing to the problem. I may run a ground wire from the regulator to a solid ground point to test this theory.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 07, 05:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

When I had this problem, I just moved the lil ground lead off the battery cable to the rad support. If you want it stock, then put them under the fender bolts, and the inner fender to rad support bolts (from underneath)

To test for this particular ground, just use your voltmeter, one lead on the regulator case, the other either on the batter neg or the alternator case,m whichever is easiest to reach. Reading needs to be zero to be good.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode