Houston I have a problem! (Dome light) - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 07, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

Post Houston I have a problem! (Dome light)

Yesterday I set out to tackle the issue of my dome light not working. I have read some posts regarding what to check out. Wiring seemed to be in place. So I proceeded to remove the door switches and clean them up and used some di-electric grease on the contact points to prevent any corrosion. After getting everything back together and opening and closing the passenger side door the dome light worked, hurrah! Then proceeded to check out the drivers side door. It worked also but speratically. As I wiggled the switch in the door the light would go on and off. Upon further checking I have found that the mounting threads in the sheet metal to be stripped. Therefore probably not getting a good ground. I am I right? But my question or problem is what can I do to repair the threads? I tried running a tap throught the hole, but they are to far gone. Can I heli-coil this and still get a good ground? Grind off the old threads and weld a nut to the back side? What other optins do I have? I even went and bought a new door switch just to make sure it wasn't that. This is on a 69 camaro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 07, 09:52 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Re: Houston I have a problem! (Dome light)

Find a nut that fits the switch, get a ring connector and put a legnth of wire onto it and put in on the rear of the switch and tighten it. Then run the other end of the ground wire to clean metal.

Kev
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 07, 10:00 AM
Senior Tech
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixtyAte View Post
Find a nut that fits the switch, get a ring connector and put a legnth of wire onto it and put in on the rear of the switch and tighten it. Then run the other end of the ground wire to clean metal.

Kev
I was going to say the same thing. If you go to Radio Shack the have those small, fine thread nuts for things like toggle switches. If you can get to the back, this would seem like the way to go.

ERIC
67 Convertible, 350CID, TKO600RR, 3.73 Eaton Posi

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 07, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

Thanks for the suggestions on how to fix my problem. Just wanted to let you know how I got them to work. From the back side of the mounting hole behind the kick panel I first used a die grinder and ground off the protruding sheet metal flat. I did this because the threads on the switch do not stick out past the body sheet metal. I inserted the switch in the existing hole, then I used a star washer(that way I could get a better bite in the sheet metal rather than using an wire eye and making a ground wire) and a jamb nut(they thinner then a regular nut). That solved my problem. Thanks Houston for your suggestions. They helped me turn the light on(in my head). And in my car. The jamb nut size for the door/dome switch is 3/8 - 24. Now on to my next project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode