1969 rs wiring question - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 07, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
rob

1969 rs wiring question

Hi all. 69 307 with a/c. PO put a four barrel carb and manifold from a 75 GM. Im just starting to look over my new car and found a few wires in the engine compartment that are not connected. The first runs along the valve cover on the driver side and is red but mostly covered with the same stuff that covers the temp. idiot wire, the black covering. Its pretty thick and ends in a plastic black clasp that is rectangular. Its just sitting along the inner edge of the valve cover. The second one is a green wire, pretty thick that has black tape over the end. It's orignin seems located near the large ac covering on the passenger side. and it looks like it comes out of a connector that is on the far passenger side part of the ac box/heater box thing. The third unknown wire is an orange wire, slightly skinnier that originates from a covered wire group of taped up wires running near the middle of the firewall on the pass. side. It comes out from the other wires near the firewall wires and runs along and has a rectangular clasp with a round black end with a connector in it. any help appreciated. I have heard that these cars had an electrical wire for the idle. I guess that could be one of them but I dont know which one. The other two I have no idea. I think they are all original wires, but im not positive. Any help greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 07, 05:31 PM
Senior Tech
mark

Re: 1969 rs wiring question

the red wire on the left is the idle solenoid wire .the orange wire shown pulled up in the top picture is not used .see if your green wire looks like this one with the tan wire .down on the side .

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 07, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
rob

WOW, you have really helped here with those photos. The green wire is the same one you show on the last picture, but mine is cut and its end is covered and taped to where you show the orange one. The orange one is the same one I have. Do you know what the green one is and what it does? Also, do you know what the orange one is there for? I hope you dont mind all these questions! You have already helped so much, I hate to ask more but I was wondering If I get a automatic choke, could I use that solonoid wire? or the orange one? The po put a quadrajet on there but I think Id prefer electronic choke rather than the rod and spring. Thank you SO MUCH for your help.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 07, 05:45 PM

if you turn key on and it is positive and key off no juice there you can use it for a auto choke.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 07, 06:15 PM
Senior Tech
mark

the orange wire is extra and not used . in the AIM the green and tan wires go to the thermal switch that opens below freezing .
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 07, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
rob

thanks to both of you, ill get a tester on that red wire and. I'll look into what a thermal switch is and try to find the other end of the cut green wire in some of the taped up wires near the firewall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode