help w/brackets - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 07, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

help w/brackets

have a '68 camaro remanned '75 sbc swp and need to replace aftermarket alt brackets w/something that is functionally correct but I do not know which oem brackets to buy any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 07, 02:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: help w/brackets

68's originally had a short water pump, drivers side alternator, is this what you're doing?
Headers or not?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 07, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Yes,heddman headers w/lower alt bracket mounted on with headder bolts,but it keeps breaking.that's why I'm looking for the oem style brackets or something that will last.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 07, 04:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

hehe, at this point, I've offered an answer to this one so many times I just went and took a new picture just for this time. I really need to write this up and make it part of the electrical sticky, then I could just send a link.

Note that this was not my creation, but rather an answer offered to me by other members here, particularly CarlC, who has a good writeup of this on his website.

You are in good shape to do this, since you have the correct setup for a 68, but have a newer engine which will have the accesory boltholes on the front of the heads.

So, without further ado (adu?) here we go again:

The brackets they give you for drivers side alternator mounting with headers are awful. They move around, throw belts, and crack. In 69, Chevy went to pass side mounting with way better bracketry, those of us who have 67-68's & headers had to come up with something better.

Corvette's stayed with short pumps and drivers side alternators until 1982. They used a big solid bracket that bolts to the front of the head. Earlier cars used an iron bracket, later years used alluminum. Here's a pic of my 1978 covrvette alluminum bracket, after a good polish job. The adjusting strap is an off the shelf item at autozone, I used the second of the 2 holes that were in it. The stud attaching it is a standard vette part for this setup.

I originally bought it from one of the corvette repro houses. I later found that gmpartsdirect.com sells it for half the price. Sorry, I don't have the part number, but any Chevy dealer can look it up for you, maybe someone who knows will post up.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 07, 04:46 PM
Senior Tech
jerry

From Carlc's web site "The lower brace is a GM part number14015510.".
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 07, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

this would work except my heads are from a 1967 corvette 327 w/no acc. mounting holes. thus my dilemna.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode