Faulty wiring in my headlight switch - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 07, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
fab

Faulty wiring in my headlight switch

I am having an electrical issue with my 1998 v6 camaro. After installing my own radio, a connector became un loosened and some how grounded itself to another radio wire. Now I believe that I have a short or bad wire which is causing my headlight switch to constantly go out. I have replaced the switch two times already in the course of a week. I used a circuit tester to see which wire is bad. The bad wire is one of the two red wires that connects to the actual headlight switch and also a very light brown wire that also connects to the headlight switch. My question is, what are my options from here? Do I have to follow this one red wire amongst miles of other wires or is there some type of short cut. Can I possibly do something with splice a good wire into the terminal of the bad one? I just want to be able to drive at night so it doesn't have to be pretty. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 07, 09:47 PM
Senior Tech
Ron

Re: Faulty wiring in my headlight switch

I guess you did not disconnect the battery during you Radio installation but it seems rather strange that a wire if shorted with 12 volts would have created enough to melt the insulation and cause a additional short without blowing a fuse. Let me think. The head light circuit should be independent of the key switch and a low amp circuit which should be fused passes through the dimmer switch which in turn controls the High Amperage Relay for your Head Lights. I suspecting that the problem may not be the dimmer switch but rather the Head Light Relay or possibly a bad ground at the relay or after your head Pods. The head light Relay itself may be at fault. Just thinking out loud - it's worth a take.

Z15CAM - There was a Viper in my Rear View
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This was my 70 1/2 Z28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Z15CAM; Apr 2nd, 07 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Additional Info
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 07, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
fab

Re: Faulty wiring in my headlight switch

thanks alot for the reply, initially I thought that the problem was a headlight relay until I called gm a few days ago to see if they had it in stock and they told me that there was no headlight relay, only a fog lights relay. I failed to mention that I did blow the radio fuse, not the one that is already attached to the radio but the one that is actually connected to the car. Im not sure if this changes your outlook at all but I will be sure to look into what you have suggested. Once again, thanks alot for replying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode