Starter wiring and hei ignition wiring - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 07, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Starter wiring and hei ignition wiring

Hi
I have two questions. I have a 383 66 el camino I know its not a camaro but I got it for free. I am trying to wire up the starter and a hei ignition and found the wires were cut.

1 How can id the starter wire. ex switched hot goes to what on the starter. And other wires to the starter?

2 Also I installed a hei ignition and the wires were also cut. What wires do I put to the hei, and how do I id the tach wire to the hei?

Thanks for any help on this matter.
Jerryt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 07, 03:06 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Starter wiring and hei ignition wiring

Since you're using an HEI the only wires you need on the starter are the positive battery cable on the center post and the purple 12 gauge wire on the small post closest to the engine. As for the HEI I'd just run a 12 gauge wire from the IGN terminal on the fuseblock to the BAT terminal on the HEI. The coil cover should be labeled BAT and TACH. With the terminals facing you the BAT should be on the right and the TACH on the left.

69 RS 355 Tremec 5-Speed 4.11's
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 07, 03:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

for the starter, you havd 2 wires in that car (not counting the pos battery cable)
There was a yellow one, which ran only up to the coil, you do not need it with HEI.

The one you do need is purple, and pretty big. It goes to the inner small stud on the starter, closest to the block.

The connections on the HEI are labeled... one is for sure labeled tach, the other is "IGN" or something like that. There are only the 2 connections. Female 1/4" spade connectors will work, though the factory type locking connectors are prefered cause they won't fall off while you're driving down the road.

The original hot wire to the ignition was skinny and covered with a white braided fabric that's probably pretty brown by now. If you can find it, go back to within 6 inches of the big firewall connector, cut it, strip it, and solder on a new 12 gauge stranded wire. (that braid stuff won't handle the hei)

If you can't find it, just make up a new wire, feed it under the dash thru the speedo cable grommet and connect it to the terminal on the fuse box labelled IGN using a 1/4" female spade connector.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 07, 03:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

lol. ya beat me 12run!

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 07, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Ok Thanks

1 The purple wire on the starter goes from block side terminal to the post where the battery cable? Or does it go else where?

2 And the tach wire goes from the tach to the hei cap. Correct?

Thanks
Jerryt
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 07, 07:01 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to undee72Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
for the starter, you havd 2 wires in that car (not counting the pos battery cable)
There was a yellow one, which ran only up to the coil, you do not need it with HEI.
You need to test whatever wire you are going to use, be it the replaced resistor wire or one from the fuse box is that it has power in both the crank and run positions. If it doesn't have power in the crank position, using the yellow wire is one way of fixing it. (there are other ways too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM
The connections on the HEI are labeled... one is for sure labeled tach, the other is "IGN" or something like that. There are only the 2 connections.
Most of the ones I seen are marked "BAT" for power and "TACH" for the tach

Quote:
Female 1/4" spade connectors will work, though the factory type locking connectors are prefered cause they won't fall off while you're driving down the road.
You can get the factory style locking connectors from Jegs. http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...0002_760671_-1

Quote:
If you can't find it, just make up a new wire, feed it under the dash thru the speedo cable grommet and connect it to the terminal on the fuse box labelled IGN using a 1/4" female spade connector.
If you use the fuse box, be sure to carry extra fuses as the HEI will be fused and if the fuse blows, the car will not run. And remember you can move it to one of the other terminals (ACC or BAT) if there is ever a problem with that circuit (IGN)

Greg U

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 07, 07:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryt View Post
Ok Thanks

1 The purple wire on the starter goes from block side terminal to the post where the battery cable? Or does it go else where?

2 And the tach wire goes from the tach to the hei cap. Correct?

Thanks
Jerryt
The purple wire comes out of the inboard side of the firewall coinnector, and travels across the firewall in the engine harness, there should be something left of it in there somewhere. It comes from the ignition switch, via the neutral safety switch.

and 2, yes correct.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 07, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Talking Re: Starter wiring and hei ignition wiring

Thanks for all the help on my wiring problem. Hope it starts up. Thanks this is a great site.

Jerryt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode