Keep blowing a fuse! I might blow a gasket! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 07, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

Post Keep blowing a fuse! I might blow a gasket!

I have a 69 camaro in which it has an aftermarket stereo (in the car when I bought it). Every so often I keep blowing the fuse. This happens when I have the radio and turn signals going. Would going to a bigger amp fuse help, being the newer high power radio? I thought I had found the issue when I replaced my turn signal relay. It would flash faster and faster, now I have that problem solved. Could it be a bare wire somewhere grounding out? It happens more times than not when both are running not just on one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 07, 08:24 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Re: Keep blowing a fuse! I might blow a gasket!

Which fuse is blowing? Radio or Turn signal? And No, don't put in a bigger one...could cause a fire.

His and Hers Marina blue 67's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 07, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67FamilyFun View Post
Which fuse is blowing? Radio or Turn signal? And No, don't put in a bigger one...could cause a fire.
The fuse for the directional and back up. Lower right column second from the bottom. My radio was plugged into the spade connector next to it. So both where using the same fuse. I am going to try and see if relocating my radio wire to a different spade connector will solve the issue.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 07, 11:03 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Put the radio on the terminal marked IGN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 07, 12:04 PM

your on to light of a circut do what jim suggest. when they are both in use your drawing to many amps
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 07, 12:35 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to undee72Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
Put the radio on the terminal marked IGN
Wouldn't it be better to put the radio on the terminal marked ACC? Then the radio will be on its own fuse.

Greg U

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 07, 01:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by undee72Z View Post
Wouldn't it be better to put the radio on the terminal marked ACC? Then the radio will be on its own fuse.
Ya, I s'pose your right!

ok, put in on the ACC terminal.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 07, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

I moved the radio to the top spade connector of the fuse block. Don't know which one that is. Did it yesterday and I haven't blown the fuse for the radio. But I can't say that for the turn signals. After I did that I still blew a fuse. It would work for awhile but then pop. What do I need to check for with the turn signals?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 07, 05:15 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgifford5 View Post
After I did that I still blew a fuse. It would work for awhile but then pop. What do I need to check for with the turn signals?
Sounds like a short in the turn signal circuit. I guess I'd figure out which side blows the fuse and then trace those wires, looking for somewhere where the wire has rubbed through the insulation. Hopefully someone can give better direction than me...

His and Hers Marina blue 67's
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 07, 06:32 PM

Thats about as good of direction as there is, 67 lol. Theres a short somewhere, and the signals would be the starting place. Hopefully its not further upstream. Im not sure but Im thinking the signal switch/wiring in the column could also be the culprit. But Id definitely start out at the easier areas. Id probably turn the signal on and move the wire around where possible to help pinpoint it.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 07, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Fuse for T/s, etc., is 20 amp and bulbs, all four, are 1157 plus the side markers, 194. 64 watts (1157X2) + 6 watts (194X3) = 70 watts per side, meaning even at battery voltage, 12.0 volts, max current drawn is 6 amps.

So a SFE 20-amp fuse should be more than sufficent. you can get a circuit breaker to sub for a fuse at Advance Auto, and others. make sure there is a good connection from the socket to ground, meaning the taillight bezel to body, and the ground wire from the front socket to radiator support.

What you could do to troubleshoot the overload, remove the bulbs, except for the turn signal indicators, unless you have small hands, unhook battery, turn key on, select the turn side blowing the fuse, no accessories on, turn signal, and use the ohmmeter from the fuse to ground to see if there is another path. Bulbs will show under 5 ohms to ground.

Sometimes wiring gets old and so do the crimp terminations and they become high resistance and they only show up when current is flowing. You won't find these with a cold/unused circuit.

You might measure the available voltage at the rear light socket to see how much voltage drop there is from the turn signal fuse to battery and to socket. Anything more than 2.0 volt drop from the front of the car to the rear is concern, remember the 6 amps at 12 volts, 7 amps at 10 volts, providing nothing else is on in the circuit.

Good luck.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 07, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

I believe it does not matter which way I am turning for the fuse to blow. Sometimes it will go for a long time (right turns - left turns etc...) with no issues. Then I'll use it once or twice then pop. At least now I still have the radio!
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 07, 10:55 AM

did you try replacing the flasher?
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 07, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by blainedoe View Post
did you try replacing the flasher?
Yes, I replaced the flasher. Thought I had the problem fixed. Then I switched where I got my power source for the radio. Since it was on the same circuit as the turn signals. Thought maybe it was pulling to many amps. Still blew the fuse after that. Sometimes the turn signals work fine for a while then pop. Haven't been out driving the last few days since it's raining to see if it happens only on right or left turns. If that makes a difference? They work fine just sitting in the garage trying them.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 07, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Have you done any more troubleshooting?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode