Orange wire under console gauge pack - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 07, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Orange wire under console gauge pack

Does anyone know why there would be an orange wire that comes out of the gauge pack wiring harness at the gauge end? I metered it out and it goes to the orange courtesy light orange wire, I was just wondering what it went to up by the gauge pack.

69 Camaro X11 SS clone 79B Ralley Green
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

66 Caprice 396 Tropic Turquoise.. in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 07, 07:10 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Orange wire under console gauge pack

Some consoles had a light in the rear that shines on the rear floor when you open the door. There should be a white wire in there also.

69 RS 355 Tremec 5-Speed 4.11's
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 07, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

No, this wire comes out at the end with the gauges, and has a black plastic connector on it. I have the ones to the back with the rear light.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 07, 07:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

On 1967 gauges the orange wire powers the clock.

Steve

I drove it for the first time in 1972 when I was 15.

Better looking than a '56 Ford or Plymouth.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 12th, 07, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

OOPS, Sorry, my car is a 69

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 07, 03:48 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

You're really making it difficult. Console compartment light?
Voltage is on the wire when?
Open doors?
Key ACC/IGN on?
Dash lights?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 07, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

It has to be some kind of compartment light. When you look at the black rectangular connector for the gauge package, you usually see the white and orange wires for the console courtesy light. Well on my harness, you see the white wire in the harness and instead of one orange wire, there are two orange wires coming off of one pin. One orange wire goes to the rear console courtesy light, and the other one goes all the way up to about 3" away from the gauge pack and has a black plastic connector on it.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 07, 08:07 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Bill - There is only 1 compartment lamp in the console and it's back under the rear ash tray. There are 2 lamps in the automatic shifter (black & grey) There are 4 lamps one for each instrument (grey) and that's it. Other than the instrument wiring there are wires that go to a switch on the auto shifter (I think green and pink) That's it.

The lighter is a single orange, the heater blower motor is orange and a compartment lamp would be orange as are the dome and left and right compartment lamps on a convertible. That's it, is your harness orig or repro? Can you put a meter or bug light on the wire and test by opening a door or turning on the running lamps and using the dimmer. The lighter is hot all the time is this one?

Your description of the 2 orange off one pin makes me think it was a modification someone did...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 07, 01:38 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

The orange circuit is live with ign off....for accessories
Out of interest...Aussie Chev...Holden...have basically the same colour coding as American, since mid '60s

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 07, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

power is only hot when the door is open.. I am thinking it may be some kig of tap for the factory courtesy light setup?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode