Will a GM HEI fit my small block 67 camaro? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 07, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Will a GM HEI fit my small block 67 camaro?

Will a GM HEI fit my small block 67 camaro? Since I can't seem to get the Accel conversion kit to work, I'm thinking about an HEI. I've heard in the past it won't clear the firewall. Is this true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 07, 08:20 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Will a GM HEI fit my small block 67 camaro?

Search "HEI fit" and start reading. Some combinations of frame stands and motor mounts will allow a big body HEI to slide in, others won't.

A quick check on your car is to take a tape measure reading from the center of your existing distributor to the firewall. If you have 2 3/4 inches at the tightest point (HEI cap is roughly 5 1/2 inches in diameter) it should fit. You need roughly 11/16 inches from the edge of your existing dist to the firewall.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 07, 09:03 PM
Senior Tech

if you have the 302 and 350 mounts- nope. not gonna fit.
if you have the 307 and 327 mounts, then, yup, it will fit.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 07, 07:49 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

So if I put 327 mounts on my 350 an HEI dist. will fit without any firewall adjusting?? I had one before, but the guy I got the car from had to convince the firewall to accept it.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 07, 10:51 AM
Senior Tech
Jon

Send a message via AIM to Rodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rodder

My '68 had a 350 in it with an HEI, and the HEI was jammed so hard against the firewall it was impossible to adjust the timing. I have 327 stands, and the subframe appears to be about 3/8" forward of where it should be to center the body mounts. On the other hand, my subframe bushings were in pretty bad shape back when the HEI was in there which probably tilted the distributor toward the firewall a bit. I yanekd the HEI and put in an MSD 8360 long before I got around to replacing the subframe bushings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- LS1, T56, Hooker longtubes, Autokraft pan & mounts, GM LS7 clutch, Borla ProXS, Moser/Strange/Wilwood 9", Covans dash, UltraLite IIs, Procar Elites, Vintage Air GEN-IV, AGR 12:1 steering, Addco swaybars, Hydratech hydroboost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode