RS Headlight Wiring - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 07, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

RS Headlight Wiring

I recently installed a new RS headlight kit with wiring harness on my 67.

I wanted to test it before completing the wiring, so I left the wiring for the voltage regulator and horn relay unconnected as well as the plug in harness to the firewall. When I connected the positive cable to the battery the headlight doors opened and hit the limit switches and continued to bounce until I disconnected the battery cable. The lights never did come on.

What is going on?????

I thought that it would need power from the headlight switch to open the doors.

I dont plan on using the old voltage regulator or horn relay.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 07, 10:14 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Re: RS Headlight Wiring

I think by leaving the plug off for the firewall you left the circuit incomplete. I have a 67 RS and I also have HID headlights. The harness for the HID's only used one of the OEM headlight plugs leaving one plug unused. This in turn would only allow my doors to open and not close. The second I plugged the other OEM headlight pigtail into a bulb, BINGO, everything worked as designed. Try plugging the firewall connector in and see if that helps. I think the system needs to be complete, which includes the headlight switch and the ingition switch. Without the headlight and ignition switches hook up, the system is not complete. Good luck and keep me posted.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 07, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

OK, I figured it out. Heres what I did:

I completed the wiring to the ignition switch and headlight switch as you suggested. It does have to be complete.

When I connected the battery cable, the doors still opened. Headlights would work but doors would not close. I realized that the igition switch has to be in the on position for the doors to close. So When I turned the key to the on position the circuit breaker tripped. and the doors still did not close. I concluded that there must be a short somewhere. I traced all the wires and didnt find any short.

After a couple of hours of reading the troubleshooting notes, I disconnected relay #1 and tested it to see if it was working. While testing with a battery and test light I realized that when the center prong (orange wire) of the 3 prong connector (terminal #1) is hot that the green wire (terminal #2) should also be hot. Well, the green wire had no voltage but the dark blue wire did, so I switched places with the green wire and dark blue wire (terminals #2 & #3) and everything worked fine. Doors opened & closed like they were supposed to.

I dont know if these wires were put in the 3 prong connector in the wrong position or if I have one of the two prong connectors plugged into the relays backwards.

Thanks for your help

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 07, 07:58 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

I'm glad to hear you got them working. I occasionally have a problem with the doors not closing. On occasion the ignition switch pigtail will somehow loosen and it won't make complete contact. As soon as I stick my hand up there and push the pigtail back on, presto, the doors shut. Just something to keep in the back of your mind.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 07, 10:09 AM
Senior Tech
Rick

You are forgetting another wire that must be in place and correctly installed. That's the wire with a diode from the ignition switch to the light switch. If this is backwards or bad the lights will open but not close or vice versa. Make sure this is in place.

Working on the 67 RS headlight system results in a lot of beer being consumed. No wonder it was only one year.

Rick H.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 07, 12:09 PM
Senior Tech
Charlie

IMO the 67 is the only year RS I would ever own. If by chance I owned a 68 or 69 I would install the electric change over kit. The vacuum type is a maintenence item. That's why they came out with the electric kits for 8 and 9. Too many people complained.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 07, 12:31 PM
Senior Tech
Rick

I didn't realize they made any other years beside 1967. Yes, I'm partial to 1967 Camaros.

Rick H.

P.S. Page 39-43 of the New book, Camaro Forty Years has one of the finest 1967 Rally Sports ever made. LOL
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 07, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
John

Yea, I checked the wiring harness with the diode and it was installed correctly.

Everything is working correctly. Doors open when lights are turned on, doors close when lights are turned off. Doors will not close when ignition switch is off though. I think this is correct.

You are right, a problem like this could lead to a drinking problem.

I would not have been able to figure it out had it not been for the diagrams and other posts on this website.

Thanks,
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 07, 03:24 PM
Senior Tech
Charlie

They made it where the doors won't close unless the ignition switch is in the on position because that way you know you have the lights off. It's a sorta fail safe so you don't leabe the lights on. If you think about it, what is one of the first things you do before you turn your car off at night. At least I do, turn the lights off.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 07, 02:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

A good working set of '67 headlight doors can't be beat.

I try not to but still often shut my car down before I turn off the headlights. It freaked me out the first couple of times I went to start it the next time and the door closed as soon as I turned the key. I didn't know what was going on for a couple of seconds.

1967 Camaro RS 350, Tremec 5spd, Hotchkis, Frame off

Bought it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rebuilt it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Almost done
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 07, 02:42 PM
Senior Tech
Charlie

IMO the vacuum systems are to high maintenance. You have to constantly worry about the lines dry rotting or the vacuum canister nipple breaking. And what happens if you have a large cam in the car, does that affect the vacuum for the headlights? Too many things to worry about. With the electric once you get everything working you can pretty much forget about it.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old May 25th, 08, 01:39 PM

Hi. My name is Dewayne and I notice you have a 67 RS camaro. I was hoping you could tell me where the two wire connector that has a brown wire going to the ignition switch with the diode inline. I believe the 2nd wire in the connector is blue. What plugs into this connector. My connector is not plugged into anything and I don't see anything to plug it into. Please help. I'm trying to get my headlight system working. I think this has something to do with the lights. Thanks, Dewayne
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old May 26th, 08, 10:36 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewaynec View Post
Hi. My name is Dewayne and I notice you have a 67 RS camaro. I was hoping you could tell me where the two wire connector that has a brown wire going to the ignition switch with the diode inline. I believe the 2nd wire in the connector is blue. What plugs into this connector. My connector is not plugged into anything and I don't see anything to plug it into. Please help. I'm trying to get my headlight system working. I think this has something to do with the lights. Thanks, Dewayne

Dewayne, If I remember correctly...the brown wire goes from the ignition to the light switch and the blue wire goes from the light switch to the dimmer on the floor. If I'm wrong, i'm sure someone here can corrct me. Also, try doing a search for a digram on this site, I believe there is one somewhere on here.

Steve
67 Camaro RS
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old May 27th, 08, 01:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by class67 View Post
Dewayne, If I remember correctly...the brown wire goes from the ignition to the light switch and the blue wire goes from the light switch to the dimmer on the floor. If I'm wrong, i'm sure someone here can corrct me. Also, try doing a search for a digram on this site, I believe there is one somewhere on here.

I think you can find the schematic here in a post by searching. When you do, I recommend printing it and using colored pencils to color the wiring. It makes it much easier when working on the car. In general, the thin lines to the relays(lt.blue and brown) are for control, the thick lines(dark blue, green, brown, orange) provide 12V or ground to the motors, depending on the state of the relays.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old May 28th, 08, 05:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Here is the site with the wiring diagrams. http://www.gvtc.com/~rlaa/

67 Vert RS/SS 350 4 SP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode