Need help with alternator - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 07, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jim

Need help with alternator

I recently replaced my alternator because it was draining the battery as the car sat in the garage. It was a one wire set up.
I went to checker, told them the car I had and got a new alternator. I hooked the one wire up the same as it was on the previous and I am getting no charge..(I tried checking at higher rpm as well.) I measured the voltage at the battery and also between the neg post and the rear post of the alt.. They both showed only 12.5v and very slowly increased by .01v as the car ran....

Could i have bought an alternator that doesnt support the one wire? Does the alternator need to be grounded somehow?

I could sure use some help on this..

1968 Camaro
350 / 4 spd
Then.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 07, 07:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Need help with alternator

If you asked for an alternator for a 68 camaro, you probably got one that needs an external regulator!

Is there a connector on the alternator, beside the big stud for the red wire?
Can you post a pic of the back of it?

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 07, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jim

The alternator i got does have a plug on the back.I will post a pic - Please let me know what you think.. If I need to get a different alternator, please let me know what i need to ask for..

Thanks- Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	alternator.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	4446  

1968 Camaro
350 / 4 spd
Then.....

Now....

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 07, 09:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

yup, that's an original style alternator for a 68, it needs an external regulator.

Sorry, other than checking powermaster on Summit, I'm no help on a parts store application for a 1 wire.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 07, 04:44 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

What other wire & their color do you have available to hook up to the alt?
Is the ext regulator wiring gone or replaced with another hook-up?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 07, 07:49 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

IMO I would use an alternator that uses a standard type regulator and not a one wire set-up. One wire alternators don't start charging until you hit a set RPM. Usually around 1000. So that means that when you are idling at a light you are not receiving any output from the alt. They are nice for hotrods because they like the "LESS WIRE" look. They make high power standard type alt's. Right now I have a 250amp alt that uses the CS144 wiring.
http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/e...ternators.html

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 07, 08:08 AM
Senior Tech

From the Nations site:

Alternators produce AC current, just like the
current from your house wall outlet. Then it
uses a bridge rectifier, typically with six
diodes to convert AC current to DC to send to
the battery. With Dual Rectifiers, you get 12
Diodes, which spreads the load over a much
larger area making the alternator twice as
durable and twice as efficient.
The benefits
include: less heat, less current loss, higher
amperage when hot, more power at idle.

How does dual rectifiers make the alternator twice as efficient?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 07, 08:17 AM
Senior Tech

It really doesn't seem like it would make them more efficient. It may make it possible for them to produce more current simply because each diode would only have to handle 1/2 the current they would otherwise. The so-called efficiency improvement comes from reduced power dissipation by the diodes. The diodes drop about 0.6 volts each. If you pull 100 amps from the alternator, each diode disipates 60 watts. By doubling the diode count, each diode disipates 30 watts. (Actually the power disipation isn't this straight forward since the alternator is a 3-phase device, but the halving of power still applies). All in all, you're still disipating the same power, but it's spread out over a wider area, it's easier to disipate the heat, and theoricially the alternator can produce more current as a result. But in reality, it isn't more efficient.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 07, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by onovakind67 View Post
The benefits
include: less heat, less current loss, higher
amperage when hot, more power at idle.

How does dual rectifiers make the alternator twice as efficient?
It ain't gonna happen.

All they have done is paralleled another diode per existing diode. Due to manufacturing tolerances, the one diode of the pair will conduct first and be the first to conduct to max current by the external load.

Then, the second diode of the pair will conduct. But both diodes do not conduct equally, one is always working more than the other.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 07, 01:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Here's how I got around the heat problem on my sailboat alternator. Just removed and replaced the rectifier with a set from a large frame (ambulance) alternator, then rigged a two speed squirrel cage blower in the back for cooling. The green wires come from the alternator stator.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 07, 01:55 PM
Senior Tech
Charlie

I know that I can have my heater on full blast, my wipers on full, headlights on, and my VERY VERY VERY high power stereo going at VERY HIGH OUTPUT and my alternator doesn't flinch off 14.4volts. I have no complaints about my alternator that I got from Nations. I had a PowerMaster 100amp unit and it was junk. It couldn't handle my stereo at all. When I had my lights on, the radio, and the stereo on the PowerMaster alternator couldn't hold up. It was a waste of money.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode