Big bunch of wires thru firewall......I need a rubber!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 07, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Joe

Question Big bunch of wires thru firewall......I need a rubber!!!

Now that I have your attention, I have an arse load of wires that need to be run thru the firewall.....I'm talking about 50 or 60 of them. They are wrapped in the wire sheathing that GM uses to wrap up their wires with.....it's about 1-1/2" or so big around. I need somthing that I can insulate the wires from rubbing on the metal and causing a short.

I was thinking of one of those grommets that you put a marker light in on a trailer??? I havent really looked at one yet, but I have a hunch that it might work. I was simply wondering if anyone makes somthing that is designed specifically for this application.

Thanks for any thoughts,

Joe

1969 Camaro....LS1/T-56.............
In the early stages of Pro-Touring

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 07, 06:34 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Big bunch of wires thru firewall......I need a rubber!!!

Check out Steele Rubber Products. They've got just about every kind of rubber do-hicky you can imagine. Not sure if they have a web site or not - might google them. But they will send you a catalog.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 07, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Check a Tru-Value hdwe store moreso than a Home Depot or Lowes's.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 07, 06:54 PM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

Can't help on a grommet, but I'd want to bulk head mine... I like the picture on the bottom in this link...
http://www.wiresandpliers.com/harnesses.html

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 07, 07:25 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

You can use a piece of the corregated plastic wire sheathing used on the newer vehicles. Just cut a piece the circumference of the hole and tuck it around the metal edge, works great.

1969 Z28

1969 Firebird 400

My new project for 2010 DONE/ Sold.

2002 Camaro SS LE/SLP
67 Nova SS 327, M20, 3.73
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 07, 07:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by eville View Post
Can't help on a grommet, but I'd want to bulk head mine... I like the picture on the bottom in this link...
I like that.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 07, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by eville View Post
Nice.....I like it as well, but even if I could find one, it would be quite expensive and super time consuming to put together. After searching for around 40 minutes or so, I found this.........

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/sealsit1.htm

I think this is what I'm looking for. I think a 1.8 or 1.5 will be the one for me. Summit and Jegs both carry these along with lots of other big name retailers.

Thanks abucnh guys!!!

Joe

1969 Camaro....LS1/T-56.............
In the early stages of Pro-Touring

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 3rd, 07, 09:55 PM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

oh, i was thinking i would measure where the connector needed to go and send the harness to them. I'm not going to be responsible for that many connections!
JimM can vouch for my wiring capabilities!

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 07, 04:35 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
I like that.
You can buy commerical connectors, just like military circular connectors, through Newark Electronics, along with backshells for strain relief.

Only problem is the crimpers for the pins are $200 and up, Daniels Manufacturing. and the extractors for the same pins are $. However, it is tedious, but you can solder the wires into the contact socket.

It all can be a little pricey, but a very nice set-up/layout when done.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 4th, 07, 06:08 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

I think a rubber is the right choice. Why introduce 3 connections into a wire if you don't need to?

We have been using those connectors forever. In our ignorance we call them Cannon Plugs. Up at Cat one time the instructor was calling them by their proper name and nobody includin me knew what stinkin kinda connector he was talkin about.

We are getting away from them very slowly, and getting to some that everybody hates, called Deustch Connectors. I have 3 or 4 brand new umbilicals I brought home awhile back that an electrician threw away cuz of the connectors.

I've soldered quite a few of them on ignition systems and sensors, also a couple times on my crane over the years. You have to start in the middle and have a plan. You'd also better know how to solder. You have to not let your thinking get reversed (while thinking backwards) if you do both halves of the connector. There's 4 views of these connectors.

2 things you would run into on this application. Wire gauges (plural) and physical size of the connector.
50 wires/pins and you would have a male swiveling nut about 2 1/2" diameter. 20 pins is about 1 1/4" maybe 1 1/2". That's for the knurled nut you tighten.
Then you would have different wire sizes from 12 up to 16 that require different pin sizes on the connector. Not insurmountable but it would make the connector harder to get and pricier. The big pins are usually in the middle.

Tim Smith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode