Elec. System Protection - Best Places for Fuses? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 07, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Elec. System Protection - Best Places for Fuses?

I've done a lot of re-wiring in my car and converted to a 1-wire alternator and in the process have gotten rid of the original fusible links. I'm thinking that I definitely need to add some protection in case the alternator were to fail and not know when to stop charging. I have some knowledge about electricity but probably only enough to make me dangerous. Where do you all think would be the best places to put main fuses inline to protect battery and rest of the system? I'm thinking in between the wire that charges the battery from the alternator and then from the main wire out of the battery to the distribution block. Sound Good? Also, what amperage should I use on these fuses and also would circuit breakers be better than fuses? I would greatly appreciate all input and advise?

Thank You!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 07, 01:08 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Re: Elec. System Protection - Best Places for Fuses?

Why get rid of the fusable link....???
put it back in.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 07, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Why get rid of the fusable link....???
put it back in.
I definitely will do something but I just think that there's probably an improved way to accomplish this compared to a piece of wire that melts. Sure, it's effective, but so was the horse & buggy that with exception to the Quakers nearly everyone has stopped using for some reason. I'm always looking for an improved way to do things and I'm sure someone has probably improved upon this antiquated way to interupt an overloaded circuit in an automobile. Shoot, I'll bet everyone is pretty happy that when they trip a circuit breaker in the house they don't have to go looking for and replacing a melted wire. Anybody else find a more effective way to do this in their car other than the good 'ol fusible link? I'm thinking there are circuit breakers available for this and wondering what amperage rating would be safe to install?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 07, 05:20 PM
Senior Tech

Don't think of fusable links as old-school. They have a specific purpose. They are there to protect you from a direct short. You should put them back in. You are mistaken if you think fusable links are not still used in modern automotive electrical systems. If you have a particular unfused circuit you're worried about then we can talk about that separately.

Check out https://www.camaros.net/techref/electrical/dnult_alt/

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 07, 08:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

If you's rather go with fuses, then why not... But they gonna be some big honking fuses!

You need a fuse between the battery (small lead) and the rest of the car. This one needs to be big, yet small enough to protect the wire.

There should be another between the main junction block and the feed to the fuseblock. Again, big enough to handle the load, but small enough to protect the wire...

You're gonna need to do some searching to find the right fuse sizes, and in doing so you';ll probably come across some food for thought... like maybe why have a 100 amp alternator charging with a 12 gauge wire?

If you go back to fusible links, size them one size smaller than the wire they are protecting, you can get them from Madelectrical.com

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 07, 10:35 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Like what guys say above

Quote:
I definitely will do something but I just think that there's probably an improved way to accomplish this compared to a piece of wire that melts. Sure, it's effective, but so was the horse & buggy that with exception to the Quakers nearly everyone has stopped using for some reason.
Yes the horse and buggy is still effective...and why? because no one has improved on 1 part of that yet....the wheels...
Just cause many things are "old school" it doesnt mean they are obsolete, or there must be a better way...
In fact there ar a hell of a lot og "new school" stuff that is far inferior to "old school" often because it is cheaper, and /or becuase it doesnt last as long, profitable item to keep manufacturing.

Dont knock old school...
the fact our 1st gens are still around and kicking....

I dont know

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 07, 10:40 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to undee72Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post

If you go back to fusible links, size them one size smaller than the wire they are protecting, you can get them from Madelectrical.com
They really should be 4 sizes smaller, 14g fusible link to protect a 10g wire, 16g fusible link to protect a 12g wire, ect...

Greg U

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 07, 12:12 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

lol, ok, but I read that as 2 sizes, never seens a 13 gauge wire!

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 07, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Like what guys say above

Yes the horse and buggy is still effective...and why? because no one has improved on 1 part of that yet....the wheels...
Just cause many things are "old school" it doesnt mean they are obsolete, or there must be a better way...
In fact there ar a hell of a lot og "new school" stuff that is far inferior to "old school" often because it is cheaper, and /or becuase it doesnt last as long, profitable item to keep manufacturing.

Dont knock old school...
the fact our 1st gens are still around and kicking....
I dont know

VERY GOOD POINTS!! O.K., I'm now convinced and I'll put fusible links back where they belong... I am definitely a big fan of old school (radios, furniture, architecture, and of course cars,) but still look for ways to make it better while preserving the integrity when possible - Howver, in this case sounds like not much room for improvement so thanks for steering me in the right direction on this. I appreciate all the feedback!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 07, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnult View Post
Don't think of fusable links as old-school. They have a specific purpose. They are there to protect you from a direct short. You should put them back in. You are mistaken if you think fusable links are not still used in modern automotive electrical systems. If you have a particular unfused circuit you're worried about then we can talk about that separately.

Check out https://www.camaros.net/techref/electrical/dnult_alt/

I check'd out that link which depicts where the fuseible links should go and other useful info. too. I have a question maybe somone can shed light on now, in the diagram on the above link it shows the charging wire from the alternator going to a junction block (which also has wire to car fuse box, fan & lights). From there it goes to battery. I have a 1-wire alternator which goes directly to battery and from there goes to a junction block. Does anyone see a problem with the way mine is wired vs. the diagram? Should I have my charge line from alternator go directly to junction block and then back to the battery or does it really matter??
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 07, 05:44 PM
Senior Tech

big fuses are easy to come by these days. new cars and trucks have big fuses where old cars used to have fusible links, and thanks to the popularity of deafness-inducing stereo systems, good quality inline fuse holders for pretty much any kind of large fuse are cheap and easy to find.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 07, 06:33 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68RS-SS View Post
I have a 1-wire alternator which goes directly to battery and from there goes to a junction block. Does anyone see a problem with the way mine is wired vs. the diagram? Should I have my charge line from alternator go directly to junction block and then back to the battery or does it really matter??
It doesn't really matter. For "neatness" I'd bring the charge wire to the same side of the car as the alternator, normally drivers side on a 68, so to the horn relay.

If you're using a pass sdie alt, then up by the battery is a straight shot, max neatness. Are you still using the original terminal block that mounts on the rad support behind the battery? This would be a fine place for the alternator charge wire.

If you're using an OE style battery cable (I highly recommend the repro spring rings) the "small wire" on those IS your fusible link. This is probably not true on a generic battery cable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode