OER 5000RPM In-Dash Tach for 67 - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 07, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

OER 5000RPM In-Dash Tach for 67

I just received the in-dash tach I ordered from Classic Industries (#6468909) for my 67. I'm replacing the gas gauge with the tach.

I read in the forum how I can use the old gas gauge wires (pink, presumably hot and black, presumably ground) for the tach and that I need a 20 ga brown wire from the negative side of the coil to the tach...but now I need to know where to hook up the wires on the Tach. Maybe it was supposted to come with a diagram?!!? There was none...and no markings on the tach indicating what goes where.

There's a post at the top center and two (one left/one right) of center with red plastic washers around them. I assume these are for hot wires and maybe the top center one is a ground?

If anyone knows which is for the wire from the negative side of the coil and which is hot/ground for power, I sure would appreciate some help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 07, 06:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: OER 5000RPM In-Dash Tach for 67

All of those should connect to the original PCB on the back of the cluster, and come out on the origiinal cluster connector.

You just need to locate the tan wire that came from the fuel gauge (trace the PCB, could be more than one wire close to the color) and cut it, run the cluster end to the coil, and the dash harness end to your new fuel gauge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 07, 06:31 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Wait a minute Jim. Explain that again please. I am thinking of doing the same swap. You said I can use the wires for the gas gauge to feed the tach? Can you please explain how I am to wire my system with the in dash tach and external fuel gauge? Thank you.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 07, 09:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

The 67 used the same PCB on the cluster for both the tach and the fuel gauge.

The tach will get it's power and ground from the same connections the fuel gauge did.

The tach signal wire will come out of the cluster on the same wire the fuel sender used to. This is a tan wire.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 07, 09:57 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

So I just remove the fuel gauge, insert the tach, re-plug the wire harness back in, cut the brown wire, run the end attached to the plug to my Crane box and then run the end that comes from the fuel sender to the new fuel gauge?

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 07, 11:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67CamaroRS/SS View Post
So I just remove the fuel gauge, insert the tach, re-plug the wire harness back in, cut the brown wire, run the end attached to the plug to my Crane box and then run the end that comes from the fuel sender to the new fuel gauge?
Correct.

I also removed the oil pressure and generator idiot light wires from the dash connector plug. The tan wire from the fuel tank now runs to the console gauge harness. I used an aftermarket console gauge extension harness that is designed to install the factory tach and gauge package in car that did not originally come with this option. The harness is well made and my tach and gauge installation was easy. I took this picture when I was calibrating my tach:

Steve

I drove it for the first time in 1972 when I was 15.

Better looking than a '56 Ford or Plymouth.

Last edited by Farm Boy; Oct 9th, 07 at 11:53 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 07, 08:26 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

How hard would it be to install a low fuel light? From the way multiple aftermarket supply places say, the fuel gauge is hard to read/see so the low fuel light is a must.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 07, 11:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67CamaroRS/SS View Post
How hard would it be to install a low fuel light? From the way multiple aftermarket supply places say, the fuel gauge is hard to read/see so the low fuel light is a must.
Installing a low fuel warning light is not at all hard. You will need a low fuel module which is available from the Camaro parts venders. The module should be mounted behind your fuel gauge. There are four wires on the module. The red wire connects to the stud with the pink (power) wire on the back of the fuel gauge. The green wire connects to the stud with the tan wire on the back of the gauge. The black wire goes to a good ground and the yellow wire connects to a self grounding lamp socket like the one in the picture to complete the circuit. This lamp socket plugs into the back of the speedometer housing where the “oil” light would be on a car without gauges. The only part you may have a hard time finding is the red “fuel” lens to replace the oil lens in the speedometer head.

Steve

I drove it for the first time in 1972 when I was 15.

Better looking than a '56 Ford or Plymouth.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 07, 11:43 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Ok. Thanks for the details. I have a strong feeling you are going to be right about finding the red "FUEL" lens, but I am going to give it a try. Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode