cs 130 - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 07, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Exclamation cs 130

I want to do a alternator up-grade to my 1967 camaro to a cs130 alternator. I tried to swap a 10si on to my car but the problem I am having with this swap is the warning light stays on even when the key is turned off. Do you think i might have a one wire alternator instead of the three wire i thought i was getting? Also could a one wire alt cause this problem? I am a wiring retard when it comes to these things. Back to my original question the brackets needed to do the cs130 swap did those come from a certain year and type of car? I called the dealership to get a price on the part numbers listed in the alt tech article and they wanted nearly $100 for the two brackets. Does anyone know of where i might be able to get these brackets cheaper $100 sound pretty steep? Any help on getting my camaro convertable RS back on the road again would be much appeciated. Also if anybody that has done this before could email me some pics of their pride and joy's wiring im sure that might help me out some too.thanks

Last edited by DDOLES; Oct 11th, 07 at 02:01 PM. Reason: i leaft out a question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 07, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: cs 130

I would even be willing to go aftermarket brackets if they could be bought affordably for this setup.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 07, 02:16 PM
Senior Tech

I haven't read the tech article, so I'm not sure what brackets you're referring to. I bought a CS130 with a V-belt pulley from Motor City ( http://www.motorcityreman.com/high-amp-alternators.html ) for less than $100, and used my stock 69 brackets.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 07, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

I am sorry i should have stated that i have the short water pump with the alternater on the drivers side. I already have a brand new cs130 and that is the reason why i am wanting to change to the cs130.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 07, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

i just looked at my current brackets and they are not going to work. If you have any ideas please bring then on. I am always open for suggestions. thanks guys
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 07, 02:54 PM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

look at CarlC's website...
http://www.geocities.com/casanoc/

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 07, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

Yes that is where i found alot of my info on this swap he also has a very nice ride. I that is the bracket i tried to get from GM but they want around $100 for it these days. But thank you for trying
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 07, 04:06 PM
Senior Tech

Do you have aftermarket or later model heads? The reason I ask is that the 68 short water pump heads do not have any accessory mounting holes in the front which requires a bracket that bolts up to the #1 exhuast port.

I'll look for my bracket part numbers and post back this evening.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 07, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

wow man i would be very thankful if you could do that. I do have the original manifolds but i am running newer style heads with accessory holes. thank you. Dnult
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 07, 08:54 PM
Senior Tech

What am I missing here? I am not seeing why original 67 alternator brackets don't work with CS130.

Eric
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 07, 09:40 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by eville View Post
look at CarlC's website...
http://www.geocities.com/casanoc/
Good point Steve. That is essentially where I got my setup. I have the same 9:00 conversion he describes. He also explains that a 180* or 12:00 alternator will work also. The lower bracket is the one I have and it was about $40. The bracket is actually cast aluminum...a very nice piece. Carl painted or power coated his black.

The upper bracket is the mystery piece. I have the part number around here somewhere, but it eludes me tonight. As Carl did, I had to cut and reweld it, but it looks natural (except for the lack of paint on the weld).

Well, I just spent about 30 minutes looking for the part numbers on those brackets and it seems they aren't in either of the two places they should be. It must be in a big box of receipts...I'll have to dig deeper.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 07, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

I have the original exhaust manifold type lower bracket on my car. maybe i will try to see if i can use a spacer to shim the alt. out a little on the lower bracket but i am not sure what im going to do on the upper bracket because of the clock position on the alternator. I will check back in later to see what you guys can come up with. I know us chevy guys are crafty and can usually make things work but i just want to make it look as nice as possible because this is a numbers matching 1967 RS convertable with 88000 original miles on it but i am looking to up-grade a few things like the stereo and a/c which will have alot more draw on the electrical system. Again Thanks guy for helping me out
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 07, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dave

i did get a price on the bracket in question and that bracket alone is 85.00 where did you guys buy yours? the price got was from a GM dealership and that is with my corp. discount.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 07, 11:07 AM
Senior Tech

Okay, I looked closer at what the issue is, and it looks like the CS130 you guys are using doesn't have the mounting holes straight across (180 degrees) like the OE externally regulated alternator. The CS130 I got from the above linked vendor has the lugs 180 degrees, so it bolted right in. Looks like the CS130 comes in different configurations, just like the 10SI, 12SI, etc. You just have to get the correct unit.

Eric
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 07, 11:08 AM
Senior Tech

http://novaresource.org/alternator.htm

Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode