what is best way to get 12 volts to MSD ready to run Pro Billet - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 07, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

what is best way to get 12 volts to MSD ready to run Pro Billet

I've chucked the points and stepped up to the modern world. What is best way to get 12 volts to my new MSD ready to run Pro Billet. I need the cleanest way to do this. Currently my 67 still has the original harness with the original wiring. I need a full twelve volts. Pictures would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 07, 09:46 AM
Team Member
scott/ scooter

Re: what is best way to get 12 volts to MSD ready to run Pro Billet

I had "a ready to run pro billet" in mine but recently switched over to the accel dist. wasn't getting enough mech advance with the pro dist. You should have 2 wires, 1 yellow&1 white cloth covered, close to where the electriacal connection is at the dist.
Here is what i did.....get you a pigtail for the hei cap for batt. power(local junk yard or jegs sells the for around $6) and splice it into the two wires mentioned above. Don't forget the di-electric grease and to put heat shrink over this connection to protect against future corression. Once finished with the splice just plug into the "Bat +" side of dist and you should be good to go.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 07, 03:41 PM
Senior Tech

My recommendation is to pull the firewall connector below the brake master cylinder. Remove the terminal that has a resistance wire connected to it. Get a new PED terminal, crimp a new 14 gauge copper wire to it and stick it back in the hole. It will look original and give you a 12V ignition feed.

It seems someone said there was a quirk with the 67 OEM ignition switch in that it didn't keep the IGN line hot during a crank. Perhaps some of the 67 owners can clarify. I think it was an ignition switch "feature" that was corrected in the later years and was backward compatible.

Others have tapped into the power source for the wiper motor.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 07, 06:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

You do not want to run an HEI or MSD or other electronic ignition off the white fabric resister wire.

It's ok to cut it off 3-6 inches from the bulkhead connector and splice on a real wire.

Better to pull the pin from the bulkhead connector, and either get a new pin, or solder the new wire to the old pin. When you put the pin back in, make sure it lock securely.

Regardless, if you want a clean install, this is a good time to pull the whole harness out of there, unwrap all the old tape, clean all the wires, and rewrap with new tape. The nostick tape is available at the repro houses, cheap. If you do this, measure each tap out of the harness and make a map, so you can tape it up just like it was.

I too have heard of the "yellow wire" quirk with original 67 ignition switches.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 07, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

These suggestions are just what I was looking for. Will the wire just pull out of the bulkhead with some needle nose pliers? And I was wondering if it could be as simple as cutting the wire close to the bulkhead and splicing it in. I think i would rather pull the wire if it just unplugs.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 07, 08:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95th67cam View Post
Will the wire just pull out of the bulkhead with some needle nose pliers? .
Mine did.

It's not supposed to tho. There is a spring tab on the terminal that should lock it into the connector body, and you should have to pull the connector off, and push in the locking pin from the backside to get the terminal out.

I just ran an exacto around the tar, and gave the wire a yank, and it came right out. I cut off the fabric wire, and soldered on a new 14 gauge stranded wire, bent the locking tab back out, and pushed it back in. It clicked and it stays in now. Jus lucky I guess.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 07, 09:45 PM
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

Send a message via AIM to CFunK

I didn't feel like pulling the block apart so I cut mine about 3" out of the block and soldered the replacement wire. Been running it for 4 years now with no issue.

-Funk

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 07, 02:45 PM
Senior Tech

Use a small 1" brad nail to release the tab on the connector. If you yank them out you can carve away the plastic notch that is supposed to hold them in.

I wouldn't try to solder a wire to the terminal. Solder just won't still well to the brass terminal and it'll leave you stranded some evening. Either get a new terminal, or splice the wires close to the bulkhead connector. If you choose to splice it, I'd use a bare crimp on butt-splice. Dope it up good with dielectric grease before crimping. Put a fairly long piece of heat shrink over it. Then crimp it with a good crimper tool (ratcheting type if you can get access to one), and then slip the heat shrink over it. That area down there is very prone to collecting water and grime which spashes up from the road or runs down the harness. It's worth the extra attention to seal the connection as best you can.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 07, 05:25 PM
Senior Tech
Ted

I spliced mine in close to the bulkhead. I am running the MSD large cap HEI for two years now with no problems.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 07, 02:37 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Send a message via AIM to Rodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgifford5 View Post
I spliced mine in close to the bulkhead. I am running the MSD large cap HEI for two years now with no problems.
Mine was like that from 1993 to 2006 with no problems.

- LS1, T56, Hooker longtubes, Autokraft pan & mounts, GM LS7 clutch, Borla ProXS, Moser/Strange/Wilwood 9", Covans dash, UltraLite IIs, Procar Elites, Vintage Air GEN-IV, AGR 12:1 steering, Addco swaybars, Hydratech hydroboost
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 07, 01:18 PM

Quote:
You do not want to run an HEI or MSD or other electronic ignition off the white fabric resister wire.
Why not? I am curious becuase i think thats where mine is. If i am thinking of the same wire. It is coming from the firewall and looks different than the rest of the wires. I thought it was a ground at first.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 07, 09:40 PM
Senior Tech

The fabric covered wire is a resistance wire. It is meant to reduce the coil voltage after the engine starts to prevent overheating the coil. Electronic ignitions need a full 12volts to run well and the resistance wire will starve them for current.

Dave
========================
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 07, 09:49 PM

Ah ha, my Mallory fuel pump also runs off this wire. Dont ask me why, thats the way it was when i bought the car.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 07, 08:01 AM
Senior Tech

Beware that anything that creates resistance will generate heat when current flows through it. It's very possible that running a fuel pump off that wire could heat it up enough to melt adjacent wires and eventually cause a short or a fire.

Dave
========================
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode