Baby is sick! Need a diagnosis in brakelight and blinker not working - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 07, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Paul

Baby is sick! Need a diagnosis in brakelight and blinker not working

Hi everyone,

Searched the forums a bit and found a few slightly similiar issues, but nothing that screams out that its the same issue as I'm running into.

Basically my rear right brakelight and blinker on my 68 standard coupe are not working. I do not get the ping sound in my dash, though the dash light itself pointing right does light up solid (no blinking). My tail light however works, and I am correct in assuming these all run on the same bulb, right?

My left blinker and brake light work great and I hear the ping of the blinker in my dash, though the arrow does not light up (I assume the bulb is dead at this point).

Any ideas?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 07, 02:55 PM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to undee72Z
Re: Baby is sick! Need a diagnosis in brakelight and blinker not working

The bulb has 2 filiments, one for tail lamps, the other for brake/TS lamps. Try replacing bulb first.

Greg U

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 07, 04:50 PM
Banned
Ron

It sounds like the bulb....Try that bulb on the other side and see if it works.....If it does, then we're dealing with a light bulb socket, with a bad connection!

Last edited by Badbird; Oct 17th, 07 at 05:56 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 07, 08:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

What do the lights in front do?

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 07, 11:56 AM
Senior Tech

A blinker indicator that illuminates without flashing is indicative of burned out bulb. A bad connection will also do it. You'll have to get a schematic, a volt meter and do a little testing to be sure. Hopefully it's a bad connection near the lamp housing (power or ground). The turn signal and brake lamps are also integrated with the turn signal and hazzard switch in the column though. Hopefully that's not the problem since it is much more of a pain to get to and replace. The schematic and DVM should make it possible for you to verify the turn signal and hazzard switches though without tearing apart the steering column or shot-gunning with parts.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 07, 01:03 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

When checking for a blown bulb..if is blown look at the galss does it have a blackish/silver coating on the inside? this indicates bad earths
Bad earths create a higher resistance and therefore draw more current thru the filliments, causing them to over heat and slowly vapourise...and blow more frequent
Also check the bolbs that are working for deposits on the inside of the bulb

Chances are the issue is either blown bulb, bad earth or replace relay unt

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 07, 08:11 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
When checking for a blown bulb..if is blown look at the galss does it have a blackish/silver coating on the inside? this indicates bad earths
Bad earths create a higher resistance and therefore draw more current thru the filliments, causing them to over heat and slowly vapourise...and blow more frequent

Any resistance in the circuit from a bad connection or otherwise, is going to result in less current, not more. It is true that resistance makes heat - at the point of resistance. Black and silver deposits inside the bulb are simply indications of a vaporized filiment - perhaps by being shocked while illuminated or just a simple failure. Bad connections external to the bulb will not make the lamp more likely to blow, nor will it contribute to deposits on the inside of the bulb.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 07, 01:32 PM
Banned
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post

WTF??
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 07, 02:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
WTF??

"earth" is kiwi for "ground"

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 07, 02:06 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Ok Do this
connect a tail light to a battery
then after that put a headlight in series (hgher resistance, draws more current right? like a bad earth)
then connect the headlight to complete the circuit.
the head light draws the current it needs thru the tail light and it doesnt like it.
Basic hi school physics

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 07, 02:31 PM
Banned
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
"earth" is kiwi for "ground"

Thank You!.....I was beginning to think that Earth was a bad place to live on!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 07, 06:39 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
Thank You!.....I was beginning to think that Earth was a bad place to live on!
LOL...if it weren't for family and Camaros it would be.

Dave
========================
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode