backwards turn signal lighting? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 07, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

backwards turn signal lighting?

For some strange reason, my front passneger side fog light/blinker will not come on when I turn my lights on. What will illuminate is the blinker light on the dashboard for that side only. When I turn the blinker on, everything functions normal. Anybody have a clue on this one? The tail light works fine.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 07, 11:59 AM
Senior Tech

Re: backwards turn signal lighting?

Is this a first gen we're talking about?

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 07, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Duh! I guess I left out a bit of crucial info. Yes it's a first gen. 69

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 07, 12:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Pretty sure you have a bad or broken ground wire on the pass side front light

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 07, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Any pointers on how to find that wire and it's grounding location or should it be easy to spot? Either way it sounds like I can handle this one myself if I know what to look for. Thanks Jim. You are the man with all the answers.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 07, 12:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

yw. it'll be easy to spot, if 69's are anything like 68's. Unfortunately, I never had a 69.

Ground wire coming off the light assy, up to a screw on the rad support or headlight bracket.

I had the same problem come up with mine when I was at the KC show. Everything works perfect, except the right side parking light doesn't go on, and the right side turn indicator on the dash comes on when I turn the headlights on...

I know it's that ground, but I got the blockoff plate on er, and will have to pull it to fix the broken wire... jus haven't got around tuit yet.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 07, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll report back once I figure out how to get my tail lights and instrument lights back on! I think I have the info to trouble shoot that from another post. Don't want to bring it to a mechanic so I am crossing my fingers I can find solutions to both problems.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 07, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Jim, I got the tails and instrument lights working. The tail fuse wasn't blown but it also wasn't transferfring power across so I replaced it. Regarding the turn signal, there are 2 wires coming out of it. Black and purple are the colors. It runs up toward the head light around the battery and hits a connector that turns the 2 wires into different colors. Those colors are blue and brown. Those wires are grouped up with a lot of other wires and run across the front end to the other side. The drivers side fog light does the same except at the connector there is a light blue wire and 2 brown wires coming out. I lose track after that because they get grouped in with all the other wires coming across and then they run back to the interior cab. I am guessing the brown wire is the gorund wire and that the brown from the passenger side goes to the drivers and then it runs back to a ground somewhere within the cab. Not sure. Any ideas?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 07, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 07, 09:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

hmmmm, I fear you might be dealing with a previous owner hack job...

The wiring diagrams in this tecref will be helpful: https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=93576
PM me for the password, I'll be around the rest of the morning.

The left front turn signal wire is light blue, right front is dark blue.
Parking lights (the second filament in the housings) are brown.

The diagrams don't show a separate ground wire for 69's, they ground thru the mounting bolts. I'd start there, by removing one mounting nut from each, and putting a start washer on the stud and putting the nut back on.

The diagrams do not show ANY connectors in the front turn/park/headlight wiring.
The wires are daisy chained at the sockets, ie: on the left side, there are 2 wires in each socket connector, one from the firewall, one to the right side bulb, true for parking light, low beam, and high beam, turn lights of course are wiring separately.

The wire colors for any particular circuit NEVER change thru a connector, ever.
The right front turn signal wire is light blue, from the turn signal switch all the way to the bulb. Right rear is dark green.

Note these colors are used for other circuits wiring as well. Backup lights are dark green, wiper low speed is light blue, wiper high is dark blue.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 07, 09:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

one easy way to check for a bad ground at these lights is to turn on only the parking lights, and look closely (very closely) at the bulb. Only one filament should be lit. If both are lit, you have a bad ground on that socket.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 07, 09:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dennis

Did you recently replace yor turn signal housing with aftermarket ones or are they the originals? Reason I ask is I've had alot of issues with the aftermarket sockets not making a good connection on the bulb.
Also, you have tried a new bulb haven't you. They are a dual filament so the blinker could work and not the running lights.

Dennis
69 Z/28. 302DZ, Autogear M22, Red w/black stripes.
69 Camaro, ZZ4, 700R4, 8.5 3:42 posi, X11
70 Nova SS 396, 4sp, 3:55 12 bolt
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 07, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

I have not checked the bulb or try to even replace it. I always overlook the obvious I guess I can replace it when I take it off to clean the gorunding or put in a washer or something. I also noticed I have a probelm with the driver headlight. It gets dimmer when you put the brights on. It's actually dim even on normal. I'll trouble shoot it some more over the next week or so. I'll report back. Thanks for the help
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 07, 10:41 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

JimM wrote
"The diagrams do not show ANY connectors in the front turn/park/headlight wiring."

The diagram is wrong in that regard, 69's have connectors, the brown wires daisy chain at the connectors not the socket.

"The wire colors for any particular circuit NEVER change thru a connector, ever."

Except 69 Camaro parking kights. I think that GM only made one Parking light assembly for either side, hence the T/S color doesn't follow all the way to the socket.

Other than those 2 minor issues he"s RIGHT ON! It's a bad ground for sure. The dim H/L on high beam is another indication. Is the ground from the Battery to the fender hooked up and good? I had a H/L do that and I took apart the connector at the H/L and cleaned it to get it to work.

I hope this helps

Jeff
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 07, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Got it done. It had to do with the grounding. I exposed the painted metal where the light housing is attached to the frame and cleaned up the socket the bulb goes in. For the screwy headlight I just cleaned up the connectors. Now both work fine. Thanks for all the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode