Hot Rod Wires any feedback? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 07, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rico

Hot Rod Wires any feedback?

Hi just wondering if anyone has used these guys or thier products
http://hotrodwires.com/about.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 07, 06:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

Re: Hot Rod Wires any feedback?

why go with a system thatll give you problems?
like these guys and painless?
get a harness thats car specific
like those from american autowire etc.
the painless type of harness is for streetrods that have no wiring etc.
and most installs end up as hack jobs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 07, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rico

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg View Post
why go with a system thatll give you problems?
like these guys and painless?
get a harness thats car specific
like those from american autowire etc.
the painless type of harness is for streetrods that have no wiring etc.
and most installs end up as hack jobs
For two basic reasons. First a formost 400 - 500 for those kits is frankly like lighting cash on fire.
Second I am 100% confident that I can wire a car extremely well.
No hack here.

So I guess I can forward this right back @ ya. Can you justify that cost?
particularly since it likely 10% or less materials.

BTW nothing about may car is stock, so any kit that is intended to be an OE replacement would be wasted for me

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 07, 08:20 PM
Senior Tech

Personally, I disagree about the "like lighting cash on fire" part. The cheaper "universal" street rod kits don't look like they have nearly enough wire, and I can't see how the front lighting harness and engine harness connect to the bulkhead/fuse box. My time is valuable, and I figure the extra $200 for an AAW Update kit with factory routing, factory terminals, extra circuits for non-OE add-ons (fuel pump, EFI, ECM, power seats, power windows, etc.), good instructions, and strong tech support was well worth it.

I couldn't find much on Hot Rod Wires. They are lumped into this general discussion:

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...=hot+rod+wires

More harness discussions:

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/wiri...ess-78997.html

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 07, 08:47 PM
Senior Tech

If you decide to use them, let us know what you think. Can't say as I've ever heard of them so we could benefit from your experience. Good luck.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 07, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rico

Eric thanks for the links It helped alot.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 07, 05:51 AM
Senior Tech
John

I have wired (2) street rods that I have built myself using Painless Wiring kits. Each wire is labeled and the kits are very straightforward.

My '31 has a '67 Camaro dash and the gang at Painless even sent me a supplement to the instructions.

As for having enough wire I still have 2 shoe boxes full of wire that is left over from cutting everything to length.

The only reason you would end up with a hack job is if the installer was a hack.

All that being said if I were to install a new harness in my '69 Camaro I would go with a factory type harness simply because my Camaro is an "original". I personnaly feel that using a custom wiring kit would hurt its value.

But if my Camaro had been tubbed, had a roll cage, etc. I would go with the Painless Wiring kit.

I hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Model A Interior View 50%.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	4614   Click image for larger version

Name:	MOdel A Front Three Quarter View 50%.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	4615  

Last edited by 69OlympicGoldSS; Dec 9th, 07 at 07:03 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 07, 05:54 AM
Senior Tech
Rod

I went through this last year and one thing to remember when you are comparing harnesses, compare apples to apples. Comparing an AAW Classic Update kit to the universal one on price alone is very misleading. There are a lot of parts that come with the AAW kit that are not included with the universal such as: horn relay, turn signal & hazard flashers, under dash lighting sockets, floor dimmer switch, headlight switch. Not to mention the harness was made to fit your vehicle, contains all the wiring and connectors for every factory circuit in you car and the fuse block will bolt into the original location with this kit.

Now granted maybe those additional parts alone aren't worth the extra money, but coupled with the fact that you will not have to chase down any missing parts and their oustanding customer service was enough to sell me.

http://www.americanautowire.com/69_Camaro_CUK.html

Rod
69 Camaro with LS2/4l70e

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 07, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rico

Maybe it would help if I restated the question:
I have non original hot rod that I am currently rebuilding in the Pro touring style.
I have no a/c and Aftermarket MSD ignition.
Does anyone have any feedback for those who are not concerned about originality, and have a Strong wiring background and limited funds?
Looking to avoid spending allot of $$ on things I will not likely use like phone support and circuits that will not be used. I can likely get away with 18 or less circuits.

So Far EZ is thefront runner on an option that will meet my needs
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 07, 10:39 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLexusTech View Post
Maybe it would help if I restated the question:
I have non original hot rod that I am currently rebuilding in the Pro touring style.
I have no a/c and Aftermarket MSD ignition.
Does anyone have any feedback for those who are not concerned about originality, and have a Strong wiring background and limited funds?
Looking to avoid spending allot of $$ on things I will not likely use like phone support and circuits that will not be used. I can likely get away with 18 or less circuits.

So Far EZ is thefront runner on an option that will meet my needs
With those requirements use AAW's Highway 22 kit. It is a modular system, and if you are not using a circuit, you don't install it. With nearly all the other universal kits, the wires are pre-installed and you have to clip them off and dead head them or bundle them under the dash. Comparing most any AAW harness to any other harness is apples and oranges. They also have one of the best tech departments no matter who you buy their product from. http://musclerodzstore.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=254
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 07, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rico

I give up
Just wanted suggestions for a viable solution for my application that was sub $300.00.
I did not start this off comparing site sponsors or their vendors products to others.

All I wanted from this is some feed back from those who may have used a product like the EZ or hot rod wires "Rod or universal" kits" Not a retort of one particular vendors products or another.
If I were rolling in the $$ I would go with Painless and call it a day. I did get some great email suggestions that make it clear to me that you can easily put together a sub 300 harness reportedly of great quality.
I will be going that way and will post the details. Maybe they can make a stickey with it as I am sure others would like to save a few hundred $$
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 07, 12:30 PM
Senior Tech

Don't give up...

Eric
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 07, 12:38 PM
Senior Tech

Maybe you already found these, but here's some more on EZ Wire.

http://www.clparts.com/faqwiring.html#q2a

http://www.clparts.com/pdfs/ez_wire_wm.pdf

EZ Wire 21 (not the mini block), at $180 shipped, sounds like it would meet your needs. From the bad photos, it could be the same fuse block I have.

Eric
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 07, 02:08 PM
Senior Tech

Don't give up. Hot Rod Wires looks like a decent product, but you get what you pay for. Same goes with the EZ kits. With their kits you get a basic fuse panel, wire runs, and a couple connectors. For another $20 they give you the fuses. Most guys will more than likely make a 100 more trips to the auto store, hoping to get a few other connectors you may or may not be able to get. Besides the extra time to make parts runs, you spent gas money as well. Or you end up needing a connector that you can't get unless it is included in another kit and not sold seperately. In the end you have spent more time and maybe more money than buying a little more expensive kit that is complete.

I don't know how many threads I have read where people have had problems with Painless, EZ kits, and others. I have yet to read a thread where someone had a faulty AAW harness, not say someone has not had a problem, no company is perfect. If EZ or something else is what you decide to go with, no problem, it is you car and your money to spend where you need to. The others and myself included were just giving our experiences with what we had used, and what worked or works for us.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 07, 08:33 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Am I not the most knowledgeable when it comes to the various wiring kits, but do they offer a kit that doesn't entail disassembling the car in order to install the kit? I am considering a new harness for my VERY Upgraded stereo and lighting, power windows, a/c, and maybe a few other things, but I don't want to take my whole car apart to do it. Is there something out the for this? Thanks for any help.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode