Auto Meter oil pressure guage help - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 07, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

Auto Meter oil pressure guage help

I added the auto meter center console gauge pod and fuel, oil press., volt, water temp. gauges. This is an original non gauge 69 camaro. I have a sb 350 in it. On initial start up everything was working. Oil pressure was right about 50. Went out for a cruise and ended up losing my oil pressure gauge reading. I have gone back through my wiring and retightened all connections and grounds. Power and all grounds are daisy chained. The other gauges are working fine. The oil gauge when the car is off, the needle sits below zero just like the other gauges and when power is turned on moves up to zero like the other gauges. Except fuel which goes to tank reading. I am going to drain the oil pan and make sure I have the right amount of oil. But what else can I check? How do you check to see if the oil sending unit is bad? Could some teflon thread dope have gotten clogged up the sending unit fittings? Or is the guage bad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 07, 06:28 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Re: Auto Meter oil pressure guage help

Could be that the teflon is preventing the sender from grounding to the block? You could put a jumper on it and see how it reads. I had a sender grounding problem that registered as low oil pressure. It would go to zero also when the key was turned on.
I suppose it could have teflon goop in it...maybe take it off and spray some wd-40 in it? :shrug:
Lastly you could check the port by hooking up a cheap mechanical gauge...$20 or so at autozone.

His and Hers Marina blue 67's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 07, 06:32 PM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

It sounds like a sender issue to me. why are you going to drain the oil? if it was low enough to effect oil pressure you'd have lifters clacking like crazy. Also, don't you have a dipstick?

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 07, 08:17 PM
Senior Tech
bill

got to check for oil pressure at sender first. if it is wrong sender is no good. i went through 3 before getting a good 1.hook sender to a ohm meter and blow air in it ohms will change if it dont sender is bad.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 07, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by eville View Post
It sounds like a sender issue to me. why are you going to drain the oil? if it was low enough to effect oil pressure you'd have lifters clacking like crazy. Also, don't you have a dipstick?
Just wanted to make sure the low reading wasn't because of not enoug oil. I have a dipstick (stock) but have switched to a Moroso 7 qt. low profile pan. I don't have any lifters clacking.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 07, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereitis67 View Post
got to check for oil pressure at sender first. if it is wrong sender is no good. i went through 3 before getting a good 1.hook sender to a ohm meter and blow air in it ohms will change if it dont sender is bad.
I'm not sure what you mean by the wrong sender. It is the one the came with the auto meter gauge. What should the ohms read when air is blown in it?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 07, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

Can I do a test to see if the gauge is good?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 07, 08:09 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

Have you ever thought about switching to a mechanical gauge? I use an Autometer mechanical oil pressure gauge and if it doesn't work it can only be two things, no oil or bad gauge.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 07, 08:25 AM
Senior Tech

The tests are detailed here:

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...l+sending+unit

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 07, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Kammerer View Post
I did some of the checks in the thread. I used an ohm meter, one lead to the sending unit body and one lead to the engine block and the meter still sat on 0 ohms. So if I am reading the threads right it should not be an issue of the sending unit not being grounded. So that should suggest that the sending unit itself is bad. Correct? Am I missing something?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 07, 04:58 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

I'm NOT electrically inclined, but Everett's post about checking voltage makes sense to me.
It's a pain to pull that thing, but I'd pull it, clean it and reinstall it...before I'd consider declaring 'bad sender'. If you want some comparison readings, I can meter mine this evening when I get home from work.

His and Hers Marina blue 67's
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 07, 03:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

you can test any gauge (and wiring) by removing the wire from the sending unit and putting the car in "run."

The gauge sgould "do something" and it should "do something different" if you ground the sender wire to the block.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 07, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

I am going to to do that check Jim. Also will take out the unit and make sure there are no clogs from teflon thread sealer. Another question though. I am also installing a factory dash tach where the fuel gauge once was. What are the hook up wire connections that I need to make to run the tach? I am running an MSD HEI large cap dist. One wire for ground and one to the dist. cap marked for tach right?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 07, 08:58 AM
Senior Tech

For the tach, also need one 12V with key on feed.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 07, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ted

Just thought I would report to what the problem was. I did the checks suggested and ended up having to remove the sending unit. What the problem was, was that there was a few little pieces of teflon tape sucked up in the sending unit hole. Cleaned everything up, reinstalled and I'm back in business. Got the tach all installed and running. No on to the next project!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode