Ignition Coil with points - yellow wire disconnected? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 07, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Ignition Coil with points - yellow wire disconnected?

I have what looks like a stock points and stock coil. I have replaced the distributor cap and rotor with a new stock looking Accel cap and rotor kit (brass connectors). I purchased a MSD Blaster 2 coil to replace the current one along with new Accel race wires and NGK XR5 plugs. The engine was and still is running fine with the new cap and rotor. My question before switching coils, is that the coil has the one wire on the - and the original resistor wire (white cloth covering) running to the +. The yellow wire from the wiring harness has been cut and is just hanging by the firewall. I have read that it goes to the starter R terminal to give the coil full voltage. Can the coil operate with points and the yellow wire disconnected? Should I use the wire with the new coil? I am going to track the other end of the yellow wire to the starter and make sure that it is still connected. This engine was replaced by the PO and I have fixed a few shortcuts that they did. What are some of the problems or drawbacks that occur from the yellow wire being disconnected? Thanks for the advice.

67 Vert RS/SS 350 4 SP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 07, 06:07 AM
MLL
Tech Team
Mike

Re: Ignition Coil with points - yellow wire disconnected?

The yellow wire "bypasses" the resistor wire so you have more voltage going to the coil when the solenoid/starter are engaged. When the solenoid engages it sends battery voltage to the + term. of the coil. Since the starter motor turning over the engine puts a high load on the battery dragging the voltage down some, having only the resistor wire going to the coil and dropping the coil voltage even more can make for a weak spark and make the car harder to get started. The ONLY time the yellow wire comes into play is when the solenoid is engaged when starting so it would have no effect once running. The only problem that you'd have with it disconnected is a weaker spark when starting up which may make it a little harder to get it going.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 07, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Re: Ignition Coil with points - yellow wire disconnected?

Thanks, that's the answer I was looking for. It does take a little while to get the car started if it sits over night. If it has been running it cranks up fine. I appreciate the help.

67 Vert RS/SS 350 4 SP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode