what would be the minimal wiring required for first start-up of engine? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 07, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rob

what would be the minimal wiring required for first start-up of engine?

I'd like to get the motor fired up this weekend, but im not ready to wire the entire car yet.

What would be the necessities in order to do the initial start-up of the crate motor?
I have the AAW classic update wiring package.

I still need to do some work/painting/welding on the dash and interior areas, so i was trying to get by without installing the entire wiring package.

Can i do this with just the battery, wires for HEI, alternator and ignition switch?

Any help or input would be great.
Thanks,
Rob

67 base convertible, GMPP 350/330 HO, TKO500....
Taken around the block for the first time 12/2/07
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Finaly getting some paint Sept. 2009
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 07, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: what would be the minimal wiring required for first start-up of engine?

A battery, battery cables, a length of 12 ga. wire, and a screwdriver.

Hook up battery as normal, run 12 ga wire from positive battery post to HEI terminal labelled "BAT", and use screwdriver across solenoid terminals S & positive bat cable, to crank engine. Add fuel first.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 07, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rob

Do i need to have the alternator hooked up for any reason?
I would assume the battery would be sufficient to run the HEI for 30minutes or so?

Does a remote starter trigger does the same as the screwdriver? It's just a "touch and go" kind of thing to turn the starter over right?

Thanks for the quick respponse.
Rob

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 07, 10:41 AM
Tech Team
Ron

If you can't drive it yet or properly break it in (if needed) what's the hurry? Take your time, get everything ready. Then when you do start it, you get to go driving also. Unless you just gotta hear it.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 07, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rob

Ron, not only would i like to hear it, but i will soon be forced to vacate the current shop where it is stored and lose all the ameneties it has. So i'd like to get it fired up for the initial start-up and break-in for the cam. I can then make sure everything is right with the driveline and such before i need to move it back to my garage, where there is little to no room to actually work on it comfortablly.

plus, i would still like to hear it.
Rob

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 07, 02:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I'd want a tach, oil pressure and water temp gauges before I attemped to start it.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 07, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rob

i have the temp, and oil pressure gauges i will be installing prior. the tach i doo not have, but will use the timing light for that.
Rob

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 07, 08:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Break-in? If it has to run for 30 mintes I hope your battery can keep up with no alt.

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 07, 09:23 AM
Senior Tech

I built a fancy little latching relay setup for my car. I'll skip the details and say that it applies 12V to the ignition coil and sends 12V to the starter when you crank it. That's all - nothing more.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 07, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Rob

i do have the alt. installed.
i think i'll research a little more before i do anything. may just wait until i get her all wired up. no use getting antsy and messing something up.
thanks guys,
rob

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 07, 07:22 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

I run them all the time with no alternator, and with alternators unplugged. I even run mine with the water pump turned off for the first few minutes sometimes on a cold start. You won't hurt it, just babysit it like you are wanting to

A hot batt will run just your HEI an hour easy. Add a fan and electric water pump and you have to head to the barn every 20 -30 minutes or carry a jump with you. Hell, put a charger going on it while you're running, I've done that more times than I can remember.

You're not getting antsy... you're wanting the fruits of your labor.

Tim Smith
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 07, 12:15 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnult View Post
I built a fancy little latching relay setup for my car. I'll skip the details and say that it applies 12V to the ignition coil and sends 12V to the starter when you crank it. That's all - nothing more.
I see some others have picked up on the need for instrumentation. My oil pressure read-back is coming from my DVM. Power to the gauges is a good thing which I overlooked, but have covered by other means in my case. Sorry for the short-sighted advice.

You don't technically have to have the charging system working. I just charge my battery up with a portable charger and it'll run fine for quite a while straight off the battery. You can even run with the battery charger connected if your voltage starts to droop too much.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode