Gas Gauge problem - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 07, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shane

Gas Gauge problem

Just completed a coversion from standard dash gauges to console gauges with tic toc tach on my 68 camaro big block with four speed. Everything works as should with the exception of my fuel gauge.

I followed the instructions with the conversion kit but got a little confused on the part about rerouting the sending unit wire. I did remove the tan wire from the back of my speedometer cluster and ran wire supplied from new wiring harness to what I thought was the rear body connector ( if anyone has a picture of this connector it would be greatly appreciated)

Also I am not sure how the low fuel indicator may play a part in this problem. I do not have this option but I am wondering if you have to reroute some wiring to make gauge work without this option. Any pictures of working console gauges wiring for my model without low fuel indicator would also be greatly appreciated. I have wiring diagram supplied in kit but not real clear on it.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 1968396
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 07, 03:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Gas Gauge problem

The tan wire is the one. It should end up at the sender terminal for the fuel gauge.
What does the gauge do?
If it goes way past full, the wire isn't connected right or to the right place.
The rear body connector is just at the top of the drivers side kick panel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 07, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shane

Gauge will not do anything. According to what you told me about the connector I have the right connector and have put the wire where it should go. You mentioned it should go on the sending unit side, with the terminals suppplied in the kit the wires will only go one way on the back side of the gauges. Should the tan wire have power on it? It does. Thanks for the reply.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 07, 05:24 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968396 View Post
Gauge will not do anything. According to what you told me about the connector I have the right connector and have put the wire where it should go. You mentioned it should go on the sending unit side, with the terminals suppplied in the kit the wires will only go one way on the back side of the gauges. Should the tan wire have power on it? It does. Thanks for the reply.
NO! The sending wire (tan) is only transmitting Ohms from the sending unit in the tank. An Auto Meter fuel gauge is a 90* gauge (from E to F) and "reads" or translates Ohms to determine your fuel needle reading. Do you have the trunk junction clip connected? This is where the tan wire from your old cluster gauge meets and is clipped into the one coming from your tank/fuel sending unit.

Learning & Relearning about the cars I grew up with.
69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 07, 05:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

If you were to read voltage to ground on the sender terminal of the gauge, you would read voltage, but it's coming from the gauge, not the sender.

Double check your connections.

Check user "click" profile, his web-link has some pics of the back of the console gauges, that may help.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 07, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shane

with key turned on I read 7 volts to ground on the tan wire connected to gauge and on the pink wire to ground I read 12 volts.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 07, 07:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

where is the gauge needle? empty? past full? somewhere in netween?

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 07, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shane

It stays on empty filled car with gas just to make sure.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 07, 08:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

staying on empty indicates the sender wire is grounded, or the gauge is not properly powered.

Take the sender connection off the gauge. Gauge should go to way past full.
If it doesn't, you've got some connections wrong at the guage.
If it does, you have a ground on that tan wire, away from the gauge.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 07, 09:22 PM
Tech Team

Hate to jump on somebody else's thread, but I've got a similar problem.

I converted (a couple of years ago) to in dash tach, which took the place where the gas guage was on my '69. The gas guage is now in center between new tach and speedo. It's been long enough that I don't exactly remember the conversion, but the gas guage has never worked and it was new, along with the sender. The needle stays way past full.

The guage is unmarked but has three prongs. The center one, which is to the top has a ground wire hooked to it. The left has a 12V and the right has a yellow. I believe the old guage worked, and also believe this plug was on it, but it may have had a splice by a previous owner that would account for the yellow wire instead of the beige.

I've got 12V between red & ground, but nothing with the yellow. Switching red to other side of guage where yellow plugs makes no diff............. guage still reads at about 3 oclock (way past full). What I don't understand from the above post is that with ONLY the red and ground connected, the guage goes way past full, and connecting the 3rd wire makes no difference. Maybe the problem is that I don't understand the feed of the circuit.

Sounds from the above post like I should have a voltage reading between the yellow (which should be beige) and ground, but I don't, so I guess I'll trace the yellow back to it's source if I can get my fat self buried in the floor deep enough to see under the dash.

That all having been said, are the wires positioned correctly on the guage??? Red to left, black to top/center, beige or whatever to right? (I'm describing them from actual side of the car)
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 07, 09:28 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

[quote=SolidLifters;881446] The needle stays way past full.
Quote:
The guage is unmarked but has three prongs. The center one, which is to the top has a ground wire hooked to it. The left has a 12V and the right has a yellow. I believe the old guage worked, and also believe this plug was on it, but it may have had a splice by a previous owner that would account for the yellow wire instead of the beige.

I've got 12V between red & ground, but nothing with the yellow. Switching red to other side of guage where yellow plugs makes no diff............. guage still reads at about 3 oclock (way past full). What I don't understand from the above post is that with ONLY the red and ground connected, the guage goes way past full, and connecting the 3rd wire makes no difference. Maybe the problem is that I don't understand the feed of the circuit.
There is a ton of information on this site about this type problem. Yes, it is usually a simple matter of understanding the circuit. If your needle stays "way past full", you've got a good start. Check the trunk connection, junction, and then use an Ohm meter to check the connection from sender to trunk...and then from sender to gauge. It will dawn on you which/what is not working ...or making sense.

69' - Built 350, 750 Holley, Elgin E920P Cam, 283 PP Heads, Long Comp Headers, MSD, TKO-600, 12 Bolt Posi 3.73, Hotchkis Rear, Eibach Front w/Hotchkis Sway, SPC UCAs, 3rd Gen PS, AR TTII's. Still working on it.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 07, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Shane

Figured I would let everyone know the outcome of the problem I had with my fuel gauge. Turns out the stud that the tan wire connects to from the sending unit was grounding on metal and grounding the gauge itself. That is what caused the tan wire to read voltage when it should not. Thanks for everyones help you guys sent me in the right direction.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 07, 07:40 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
staying on empty indicates the sender wire is grounded, or the gauge is not properly powered.

Take the sender connection off the gauge. Gauge should go to way past full.
If it doesn't, you've got some connections wrong at the guage.
If it does, you have a ground on that tan wire, away from the gauge.
I'm confused here. If "staying on empty indicates the sender wire is grounded, or the guage is not properly powered" and then "if it goes way past full you have a ground on that tan wire away from the guage", seems like a contradition.

Sorry I'm not following here. One problem I have is that I don't know how the guage works. If it's got 12 Volts to the guage, and a ground to the guage, and that makes it go full, or past, how does hooking up a 3rd wire make it read less? Admittedly I'm electronically challenged, so logical paths become more difficult.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 07, 08:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

No contradiction at all.

Sender wire at gauge = ground = empty.
Sender wire at gauge = 90 ohms to ground = full
Sender wire at guage = open = WAY past full.

If the gauge reads empty, and you take the sender wire off and the gauge goes to way pas full, that tells you the guage is fine. The sender wire is grounded somewhere. Removing the sender wire removed the ground and the gauge responded.

There is a sticky post at the top of electrical called "Electrical Basics" There is a lot of good stuff in there, including a couple of papers on troubleshooting the fuel gauge circuit.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 07, 08:20 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidLifters View Post
I'm confused here. If "staying on empty indicates the sender wire is grounded, or the guage is not properly powered" and then "if it goes way past full you have a ground on that tan wire away from the guage", seems like a contradition.

Sorry I'm not following here. One problem I have is that I don't know how the guage works. If it's got 12 Volts to the guage, and a ground to the guage, and that makes it go full, or past, how does hooking up a 3rd wire make it read less? Admittedly I'm electronically challenged, so logical paths become more difficult.
Have you actually checked the trunk junction connection? It may need to be cleaned, but unplug and check for corrosion/dirt. In your case, your gauge is reading way past full, right? I'm not sure how/why Jim worded it that way, as it might be confusing...but if your gauge WAS working properly...and you disconnected it at the trunk (for instance)...your gauge will read way past full. This is why I'm suggesting investigating that trunk connection. And then, if you're satisfied that's OK, run a 18g wire from that trunk connection (outside the car) and directly to the gauge and see what happens. This will assure you that there's no broken connection from the trunk and along the inside/body of the car on its way to the gauge. Lastly, if that doesn't work...pull the tank and make sure the sender wire is connected properly. For your situation, this is the order/way I would check it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode