Adding a I-Pod/MP3 player - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 07, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Adding a I-Pod/MP3 player

Anyone know the best way and product to hardwire a I-Pos adapter to an old radio. I have a Kenwood KRC-2007 am/fm cassette player and want to be able to play my I-Pod from it using a hidden wire or jack.

Any suggestions?

1969 Camaro SS
350/300 M20
12 Bolt 3:73 Posi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 07, 08:24 AM
Matt

Re: Adding a I-Pod/MP3 player

wrong forum, sorry!

Last edited by mattb71; Nov 6th, 07 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Wrong thing!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 07, 09:15 AM
Senior Tech
Charlie

It can't be done on a radio that has the two shaft with the two knobs. That is the type of radio you have, right? The radio needs an auxilary input wire/feature and the old radios don't offer that feature. You would need a unit that is what is called a DIN style. That is the type that does not have the two shafts. You have to cut out the area of the dash that the two shafts slide through in order to open up the area so the unit can slide in. Some radios have a port right on the front of the unit where you can plug in the wire from the I-pod. Also, you would need the car kit for the I-pod. Call any REPUTABLE car audio business and they can tell you everything you need to do the swap and installation. The most important thing is are you willing to cut into the dash? If not, then you will have to mount it in the glove box, but IMO, if you find someone that is WELL KNOWN they will do a very nice job on the installation. Plus, later on if you decide to go back to the original style, you can always weld in pieces to the dash to return it back to original.

Charlie Knudsen 67 Camaro RS/SS 350 TKO 600, 4.10's, AFR 195 Street Heads, Comp 270H, Rhoads Lifters, Crane Ignition, Pertronix Dizzy, Performer RPM Q-Jet, Heavily Modified Q-Jet, Hooker Comp Headers, MagnaFlow 2 1/2", 144 Decibles(Alpine CDA-7998 Head Unit, RF X7 and RF 750X Amps, MB Quart Mid's & High's, Kicker L7 12" Solo Barics)

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 07, 09:43 AM
Kevin

Mark, there have been a bunch of discussions on IPODs in 1st gens, try a search.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 07, 09:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

FM Modulator...

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 07, 11:21 AM
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
FM Modulator...
NOOOO, they suck! But they work if you have nothing else

Kevin

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 07, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Do they all suck? That is the way I was thinking of going. The radio has amp inputs (red & white) can anyhting be done with those?

1969 Camaro SS
350/300 M20

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 07, 12:31 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

I fabricated a box between the console and the dash and installed a cd den style in the box i made. I textured it with a product called SkS then painted it satin black. The CD player {sony} has a jack in the front so you can just plug in to it with your i-pod. This will work as long as you dont have the factory console gauges. Unless you look real real close you can't tell it's not meant to be that way. I did all this so i didn't have to cut my dash. My buddy wired it so both the factory and new cd player will work with the same speakers. He used some diodes to keep the music from feeding back to the other unit but i can't tell you how he did it with out asking but i do know it worked out great without cutting my dash. I hope this helps
i will try to post some pictures later!!

Last edited by DDOLES; Nov 6th, 07 at 12:33 PM. Reason: left out something
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 07, 02:00 PM
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfirst 69SS View Post
Do they all suck? That is the way I was thinking of going. The radio has amp inputs (red & white) can anyhting be done with those?
Mark, finding a hole in the bands can be a challenge and they still drift. The RCA jacks from your radio are preamp OUTS, not in's. They are meant to take the line level outputs from the stereo to the amp. You could add an IPOD RCA adapter to your amp and play it there. But to play it thru your radio, you need aux inputs.

Kevin

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 07, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
Mark, finding a hole in the bands can be a challenge and they still drift. The RCA jacks from your radio are preamp OUTS, not in's. They are meant to take the line level outputs from the stereo to the amp. You could add an IPOD RCA adapter to your amp and play it there. But to play it thru your radio, you need aux inputs.
That is the way to go then. I was thinking of getting an amp anyway to get a little more power. So I should be able to find an amp with rca's in for the IPod. I guess then all I would need is a wire with 2 rca's and a mini jack.
Question when I want to use the Ipod all I would have to do is shut the radio off?

1969 Camaro SS
350/300 M20

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 07, 03:46 PM
Senior Tech
Jason

If your radio has cd changer controls you can get a aux2car from www.discountcarstereo.com and that way you can hook up a Ipod, MP3 player, etc.

My Cars:

70 Lemans Sport 350 w/ 48k Original Miles!!! SOLD!!!

SOLD!!!
88 Camaro IROC-Z SOLD!!!

SOLD!!!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 07, 04:58 PM
Senior Tech

Classic Industries has Shaft Based Radios that offer AUX INPUT for $169
Monster makes a good FM Modulator, it works pretty darn well in my wife's Buick.

Monster Cable iCarPlay wireless FM mini transmitter/battery charger
Monster iCarPlay plugs into your cigarette lighter and attaches to the dock connector on the bottom of the iPod. It's actually two accessories in one — a battery charger and an FM transmitter. It lets you toggle through eight different FM frequencies, so you're sure to find one that isn't occupied by a broadcast station.

$39 here http://www.techmicro.com/product_p/130409.htm

1969 Camaro - GM 2003 Electron Blue
Beck Racing 383 cu in 465HP Engine - Sean Murphy Inductions Stage 2 Quadrajet
TCI Streetfighter 350 - 3.73:1 Posi 10 Bolt Rear - 12.6 sec qtr mile

and
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 07, 04:58 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

Send a message via Yahoo to thedugan

Get a stock radio and then, have it converted by http://www.turnswitch.com/radio1.htm

Love it. Works awesome

-Doug
68 RS/SS Conv
67 Coupe

Last edited by thedugan; Nov 6th, 07 at 05:00 PM. Reason: link did not work at first
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 07, 06:21 PM
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myfirst 69SS View Post
That is the way to go then. I was thinking of getting an amp anyway to get a little more power. So I should be able to find an amp with rca's in for the IPod. I guess then all I would need is a wire with 2 rca's and a mini jack.
Question when I want to use the Ipod all I would have to do is shut the radio off?
Correct, mini jack to amp rca line level inputs. As to powering the amp, you would need and on/off switch for just the amp, not tied to the radio to do this. To use the radio, you would have to turn both on seperately.

Kevin

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 07, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

I have heard good things about this modulator
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Audio...oductDetail.do

1969 Camaro SS
350/300 M20

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode