trunk battery question - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 07, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Peter

trunk battery question

I am shifting the battery to the trunk and have a question on wiring. I will direct wire the positive to the starter but with the negative can I wire direct to trunk floor or rear chasss rails
Is the ground good enough here or should the negative be wired elswhere closer to the motor ( big block)

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 07, 05:09 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Strick

Re: trunk battery question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69aus View Post
I am shifting the battery to the trunk and have a question on wiring. I will direct wire the positive to the starter but with the negative can I wire direct to trunk floor or rear chasss rails
Is the ground good enough here or should the negative be wired elswhere closer to the motor ( big block)

Thanks in advance
I have always grounded mine to the frame. I take a wire wheel to the frame to get it down to bare metal, us a star washer when mounting the ground wire, and then give it a coat of spray paint. I always make sure that I have the motor grounded to the frame and a ground to the firewall from motor also. Then for a little more certainty, I run a ground from the frame to the firewall.

Strick
'67 'Vert (408" SBC), V-Rod, Street Glide, and too many other motorcycles to list.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 07, 05:14 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

I have mine bolted to the frame rail and I also have a neg. cable from the front frame rail to the block. Cant have too many grounds. Also if you plan on running the car at the track you will need a batt. cutoff switch mounted on the rear of the car in the positive cable.

67 R/S convertible Nantucket blue deluxe interior orig.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 rs-ss coupe 565BB-400turbo streetcar/racer project 1.43 60ft 9.683 140.91

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 07, 06:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x67rs/ss View Post
I have mine bolted to the frame rail and I also have a neg. cable from the front frame rail to the block. Cant have too many grounds. Also if you plan on running the car at the track you will need a batt. cutoff switch mounted on the rear of the car in the positive cable.
Yep. And I'm kinda,,,,,, OK, anal about grounding. I run a humongous ground cable to the starter, under one of the mounting bolts, all the way from the battery in the trunk.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 07, 09:10 PM
Senior Tech
Marc

If your going to run on the track you'll also need to put the battery in a sealed box that is vented outside the trunk.

Marc

67 Camaro, 454, TH400, 9" 4.11's
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 07, 09:27 PM
Senior Tech
John

I grounded to the trunk on the rail near the wheel well, and again from the motor to the frame....with the huge 1/0 gauge wire!!

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing...a little's good, more's better, and too much is just enough

68 rs - Van Nuys original - one family car.....which still needs to be finished!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 07, 09:57 PM
Senior Tech
Marc

I grounded my to the trunk pan and have had no problems.

Marc

67 Camaro, 454, TH400, 9" 4.11's
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 07, 12:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro man View Post
If your going to run on the track you'll also need to put the battery in a sealed box that is vented outside the trunk.
Or use a red-top. AGM's are sealed. They can be used upside down. But the switch in the trunk's required. Mine's installed now.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 07, 04:57 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strick View Post
I have always grounded mine to the frame. I take a wire wheel to the frame to get it down to bare metal, us a star washer when mounting the ground wire, and then give it a coat of spray paint. I always make sure that I have the motor grounded to the frame and a ground to the firewall from motor also. Then for a little more certainty, I run a ground from the frame to the firewall.

+1

His and Hers Marina blue 67's
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 07, 05:22 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

The frame is much bigger than any old 00 conductor. Having said that...I would prefer to have 00 all the way to my starter. But I just have a short piece of 0 or 01 from batt to frame. Oh no take that back... when I rewired I ran a piece of 10 or 12 gauge to my ignition and relays from B-, in addition to the frame ground.

I would be a little apprehensive if the car didn't have subframe connectors, either jumper front half to back half or run wire all the way.

I thought all the rules said was a battery hold-down device is required. Mine has never been sealed, just clamped down. Never had a tech inspector say a thing about it.

Tim Smith
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 07, 09:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Strick

Valid point on the subframe connectors. Mine does.

Strick
'67 'Vert (408" SBC), V-Rod, Street Glide, and too many other motorcycles to list.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 07, 11:05 PM
Senior Tech
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77wolf10.85 View Post
I would be a little apprehensive if the car didn't have subframe connectors, either jumper front half to back half or run wire all the way.

I thought all the rules said was a battery hold-down device is required. Mine has never been sealed, just clamped down. Never had a tech inspector say a thing about it.
I just automatically assumed frame connectors.
NHRA rulebook 8:1 BATTERIES states all batteries must be securely mounted.Rear firewall.024 steel or .032 aluminum required or sealed poly box vented to outside of body.
That is not the complete rule but a short part of what it says.

67 R/S convertible Nantucket blue deluxe interior orig.

67 rs-ss coupe 565BB-400turbo streetcar/racer project 1.43 60ft 9.683 140.91

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode