new wiring harness...NEED HELP! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 07, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

new wiring harness...NEED HELP!

i need to replace the entire wiring system in my 69. from head lights to tail lights and everything in between. what route should i choose when buying new harnesses? im not a resto frak and it doent have to be 100% original cause im gonna be using stuff like aftermarket gauges and stereo. thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 07, 10:16 AM
Senior Tech

Re: new wiring harness...NEED HELP!

American Autowire Classic Update. Do a search here for "AAW update."

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 07, 10:32 AM
Senior Tech

What Eric said.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 07, 02:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rob

ditto on the AAW Classic Update.

Rob

67 base convertible, GMPP 350/330 HO, TKO500....
Taken around the block for the first time 12/2/07
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Finaly getting some paint Sept. 2009
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 07, 04:31 PM
Senior Tech
Rico

Depends.. If you are cost conscious and have a clue about wiring you might want to consider EZ Wiring for roughly half the price

"Our EZ 21 pre-wired fuse block will wire your car from headlight's to taillight's. It features 18 fuses and 21 circuits. The circuits are Radio, Coil, Dome Lights, Headlights, Horn, Power Door Locks, Cig Lighter, Wiper Switch, Elect. Fuel Pump, Gauges, Hazard Lights, Power Windows, AC/Heat, Elect. Fan, Backup/Cruise, Radio, Turn Signal."

But if you got money to spend go with AAW it gets great reviews. I am in the same boat and just cant see paying that kind of scratch for the AAW kit or the pinless which I have read is crappy. Let us know which way you go. I am interested in how folks are making out
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 07, 05:55 PM
Senior Tech

What the AAW kit provides that other don't (that I know of) is all the connectors that you'll need and it plugs directly into your existing accessories. I've never heard of EZ. I know Painless is essentially a new wiring system - meaning a new design that you must connect point-to-point. Also Painless requires you to recylce many of your existing connectors. Companies like Painless will be easier to adapt to knew electrical system designs out of the box (comensurate with your skill), but AAW will also provide "upgrades" at a bit more cost.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 07, 06:27 PM
Senior Tech
David

Mega Ditto's on AAWI didn't have any problems wiring my car with my AAW harnesses. Car is wired front to back with AAW stuff.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 07, 10:50 PM
Team Member
Rob

Just my .02 cents worth on this as I'm in the middle of doing the wiring on my car. I have used both American Autowire (http://www.americanautowire.com/) and M & H Auto Wiring (http://www.wiringharness.com) and they are both of the highest in quality and make real nice pieces. No complaints with either one of them and I would recommend both in a minute. I ordered a harness from AWW like 4 years ago and have just gotten to the point that I needed it. Well I ordered the wrong one. I called them up and explained that I never open the bag but realized it was the wrong harness. They gave me an RMA number over the phone and sent out the correct harness! I was so impressed with their customer service, I ordered more stuff from them. Fact is, if I didn't have to pay the dang state sales tax for living in New Jersey, (same state as AWW is located) I probably would have ordered everything from them, hence the M & H wiring route. Prices and quality of the two are the same and both have lighting fast turn around on product.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 07, 09:31 AM
Senior Tech
Rico

I have a theory on this .Their are basically a few basic variables here.
Knowledge / skill, The Originality factor, The need for support, The Need for Customer Service, The overall Quality (this one is fuzzy cause most of the companies we are discussing use the same manufactures).
And Price.
Basically its my opinion that you should pay for customer support if you need it. Its a service and any vendor should be paid for it. If you are not going to use it and simply want the raw materials you should be able to buy a harness that reflects your needs.
In this case as in mine nothing is original so your options are wide open.
If you are in this category you should not pay more then $150.00 for your harness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode