Horn Contact Installation? with pics - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 07, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
David

Horn Contact Installation? with pics

I know this topic has been addresssed many times but after reading numerous posts, I still have difficulty visualizing the installation so I have included pics hoping that it might also help others to understand how the contacts should be installed. I have an original set of horn contacts.I came up with 3 different possibilities.Hopefully someone can identify which (if any) one is correct.

First possibility...

Second possibility

Third possibility

Any and all input is greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 07, 09:08 PM
Senior Tech
bill

Re: Horn Contact Installation? with pics

im almost 99 percent sure that the 2nd pic is right. look uner the top iece you got it will have a brass or metal piece that it rides on. that is where the rod goes first into. than the spring and it will make contact with the end contact aka grounds. tommorow ill get a pic from work for you.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 07, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
David

Thanks for the reply! Hopefully the pics that I included will help other people with the same question.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 07, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

#2.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden … enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 07, 12:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Agree with #2.

If you'd do us all a favor, and take and post detail pics as it all goes together, starting with the bare steering column and endingwith the installed and dressed steering wheel, I'd love to add this post to the electrical basics sticky. As you said, this is asked a lot.

If anyone has similar showing differences with different optional wheels, post away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 07, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
David

Ok. I'll get started on it.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 07, 03:38 PM
Senior Tech
rob

I pulled my wheel a couple weeks ago. My horns worked fine. I just looked at my bag of parts and mine was #3. I don't remember the pin being there so maybe it was missing. I think I just had the spring and the horns worked fine. There's always the possibility it fell out and is missing now but I was pretty careful.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 07, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
David

Here are some pics that I took regarding installation of 69 horn contacts.

Steering Column minus steering wheel.Shows plastic tower where pin and spring are inserted followed by brass terminal end and plastic retainer.

The next picture should be of the steering wheel installed on the column but the lighting in my garage isn't the best.Couldn't get a decent picture even with flash. I will add that picure soon. This picture shows the mounting points of the contacts.

Next are the buttons for horn shroud.They are installed into the holes on the ends of the shroud.

This is what it looks like installed.

Next, the contacts are installed on the mounting points.

Here's a closer view. The outer ends of the contacts are held in place by the screws that attach the entire assembly to the steering wheel.

This is the brass terminal end and plastic retainer that connects both contacts together.

Now the pin and spring from the earlier pictures in this post are installed into the plastic tower(with steering wheel installed).Then this brass terminal goes in next followed by the retainer.

The final step is to attach the shroud to the steering wheel.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 07, 05:57 PM
Senior Tech
rob

I guess I will buy a horn contact pin from ricks and put it back with the pin. I was looking at p.57 and see three parts pictured together, the pin, the spring and a small barrel shaped black thing. Im guessing that last piece is for a 67 or 68. Mine is a 69 and Id swear there wasnt a pin in there and the horns worked fine, but id rather put it back right with the pin. I'll go with pic #2 as far as what end to put in first.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 07, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
David

The black barrel shaped piece is the retainer that keeps the spring and pin in place.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 07, 06:27 PM
Senior Tech
rob

Just to be clear about this, the black retainer goes on after you put the wires, terminal and white barrel over the wires( pictured above) into the tower?
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 07, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
David

The black retainer shown on pg.57 of Rick's is most likely for a 67 or 68. Notice the small protrusion on the outside of it. The inside of the plastic tower on a 67 or 68 has a corresponding groove that you would insert the retainer into then twist it to lock it into place. The retainer pictured here is for 69.So you do not use the black retainer for your application. I have known some guys that have cut the protrusion off and used that particular retainer. Rick's should have the correct retainer for the 69 though.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 07, 06:57 PM
Senior Tech
rob

I have the white barrel retainer still on my original wires, so I'll just press that in after the spring and pin im getting from ricks.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 07, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
David

post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 07, 07:11 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Excellent thread guys. I'll add this to the electrical basics sticky.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode