Ignition problem - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 07, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

Ignition problem

Looking for some possible solutions here. Have a 69 camaro with a small block, MSD 6AL, Blaster coil, Petronix HEI distributor. No problems before it went into the body shop. Before it went to the body shop, a shaved door handle kit was installed in the car as well by a reputable electronic accessories shop. That was the only electrical work done to the car. While at the body shop, the body guy noticed a problem when turning the car off. He said when the key goes all the way back to accessories the car continues to run (he did this by mistake and discovered the problem).

In addition to this problem, when I brought the car home from the body shop I noticed I had a draw on the battery. After doing some checks I found the draw to be from the brain on the shaved door kit. So I eliminated that problem. (talked to the accessories people and they said it could be a bad brain and they're going to replace it)

Going back to the ignition problem, when you turn the key to run w/o starting the car no idiot lights come on. But when you turn the key to accessories the idiot lights do come on. The car starts fine. Unfortunately it doesn't shut off the way it's supposed to. Correction, it does shut off fine except when you turn to accessories the car continues to run (as stated earlier).

Is it possible that the bad brain from the shaved door kit is causing all of these problems or do I have two separate issues (one of which has been resolved)? Sorry for the long winded post but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 07, 10:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Ignition problem

Could be a few different things...

Bad ignition switch? Not terribly likely, but the only idiot light that should be on in accessory is the gen light.

MSD box backfeeding thru the alternator: This will be the primary cause of it not shutting off. It's a known issue, and if you call MSD's tech line, they will send you (free) a diode kit that will fix it.

Grounds: This is horribly common after paint, particularly if the car was torn completely down. All that fresh new paint insulates the ground screws from the metal, causing all sorts of weird electrical behavior. After paint, I had to chase and fix no less than 7 bad grounds. Star washers are your friend here. Go to your local hardware store, and purchase a bunch of 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, and #10 external star washers. Use them everywhere, not just on ground wires, but a selection of body bolts on the front clip as well. I actually had a situation where the entire radiator support was not grounded! This caused the system to charge at 18 volts, and played havoc with all the exterior lighting. Star washers under the fender to rad support, & inner fender to rad support & fender, and fender to firewall bolts fixed it up pretty well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 07, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

Jim, thanks for the response. The car was not tore down for paint and when I detailed my engine compartment I made sure I grinded all of the paint off the metal where the grounds were attached. So I made sure I had good connections. But I have been known to make mistakes.

As far as the MSD box, is their a test I can do to determine if that is the problem before I call MSD?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 07, 12:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Strick

Do you have an internal votage regulator (in the alternator), vs the stock external? If yes, do you have the voltage regulator plug jumped to keep the idot light active? If yes, you need a diode inline to stop the idiot light feedback, so the ignition turns the car off when turned to off.

I had the run-on problem, which can be fixed via the diode JimM mentions.

Strick
'67 'Vert (408" SBC), V-Rod, Street Glide, and too many other motorcycles to list.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 07, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

I did do away with the ext voltage regulator and installed a one wire internal regulated alternator.

I did not jump the voltage regulator plug. Is this something that needs to be done? Could this be the potential problem?

Last edited by Carbo; Nov 24th, 07 at 01:13 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 07, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

Jim, one thing I did fail to mention about the idiot lights. The GEN light comes on when the key is turned to accessories but when the key is turned to run no idiot lights come on. Any ideas?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 07, 02:32 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Send a message via AIM to Rodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
Jim, one thing I did fail to mention about the idiot lights. The GEN light comes on when the key is turned to accessories but when the key is turned to run no idiot lights come on. Any ideas?
That's normal if the GEN light is not connected to the alternator (and yours isn't connected if you have a 1-wire alternator).

- LS1, T56, Hooker longtubes, Autokraft pan & mounts, GM LS7 clutch, Borla ProXS, Moser/Strange/Wilwood 9", Covans dash, UltraLite IIs, Procar Elites, Vintage Air GEN-IV, AGR 12:1 steering, Addco swaybars, Hydratech hydroboost
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 07, 02:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

"normal" would be gen light on in acc. or run (if system is not charging) Note what Jon said, with a one wire, you have no gen light function.

Oil light should be on if key is on but motor not running.
temp light should be on when cranking only.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 07, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dan

Well guys, thanks for all the responses. After reading all of your posts I think Jim had the solution with the diode for the MSD box. I will be calling tomorrow and talking with MSD.

Hopefully that will be the solution and once I get it fixed I will post the results so others can learn from my mistakes. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode