Painless is a pain in the a$$... - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 07, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

Painless is a pain in the a$$...

I am installing my painless wiring kit on my 67 camaro rs and i am baffled by the ignition switch wiring...instead of using a stock type connector they have each wire individually crimped...well i do not know where each wire is supposed to go on the ignition switch...does anyone know?? also, i am trying to connect my neutral saftey switch(center console) and there is a purple with white strip and just a purple...but the two wires coming out of the switch are both purple with no strips..which wire goes where?? this will be the last painless product i buy...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 07, 12:52 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Painless is a pain in the a$$...

A lot of others who have gone through the Painless pain here have posted their work throughs, including the ignition switch wiring. Search "painless ignition switch" and you should find what you need.

For the NSS, I'm not following what your saying. The OE NSS should have a purple with white coming in from the ignition switch that is hot with the key in the start position, and a solid purple going out to the starter via the fusebox/bulkhead connector. The switch is closed when the gear slector is in park or neutral, so as far as I know as long as you have a wire coming in from the ignition switch, and a wire going out to the starter, it doesn't matter which is on which NSS terminal.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 07, 12:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

I did one years ago and swore off them for good.
why did you go with them in the first place?
AAW hooks up real easy.
I did my camaro during resto (complete wiring job and took about 5 to 6 hours)
and didnt have a single problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 07, 12:54 PM
Senior Tech
Larry

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=93576

Get the prints you need and you will have to just match them up. Email the poster for a password.

Painless products are good for custom builds, but not else, in my opinion.

Good Luck.

Fathom Green 69 DZ x77 Done soon if the Mastercard holds out!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 07, 01:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Scott, the diagrams Larry linked to are for a 69, but most of the basics are pretty close. pm me for the p/w.

Everatt is correct, it doesn't matter which wire goes where on the neutral safety switch.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 07, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

on the steering column wiring what is the gray wire for? painless does not have a wire for it and does not acknowledge it...a ground maybe??
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 07, 10:09 AM
Senior Tech

grounds are black

gray is dash/instrument panel illumination

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 07, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

so what am i supposed to do about this wire?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 07, 01:11 PM
Banned
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott MH View Post
so what am i supposed to do about this wire?

I don't know why you're asking anyone here as they appear to hate Painless!.....I successfully wired up my 68 coupe with the 18 circuit kit and if I had any questions, which I did, I contacted their tech line!

Tech line/Tech support: 1-800-423-9696

You may also email them.....here is their website:

http://www.painlessperformance.com/index.php

Oh, and they also have a forum for any questions!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 07, 03:05 PM
Team Member
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
I don't know why you're asking anyone here as they appear to hate Painless!.....I successfully wired up my 68 coupe with the 18 circuit kit and if I had any questions, which I did, I contacted their tech line!

Tech line/Tech support: 1-800-423-9696

You may also email them.....here is their website:

http://www.painlessperformance.com/index.php

Oh, and they also have a forum for any questions!
That is very good advise. I would guess nobody know would their product better then the manufactor. I haven't used painless ... but I have seen some the flames here regarding them. For what it's worth (and I have no stock in either of these companies) I have used both M & H Electric Fabricators (www.wiringharness.com) and American Auto Wire (www.americanautowire.com) and have been very happy with both of them. Good quality products.

Last edited by no69x-44; Nov 27th, 07 at 09:23 PM.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 07, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

so i called painless hopeing for some explainations but they seemed to know about as much as i did...he could not tell me how to run the door jamb switches, he said the kit is not equiped for that...so, how the hell do i run the door jamb switches? do i splice off a ground somewhere?
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 07, 09:15 AM
Senior Tech

Door jamb switches are body ground if they are single wire, and go between the courtesy/dome light and fuse panel.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 07, 11:06 AM
Banned
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott MH View Post
so i called painless hopeing for some explainations but they seemed to know about as much as i did...he could not tell me how to run the door jamb switches, he said the kit is not equiped for that...so, how the hell do i run the door jamb switches? do i splice off a ground somewhere?

This is one question I had to clarify.....The black ground wire, in the harness, is for the door jam switches.....Hook up this wire to both, left and right side jam switches.....NOTE: Seeing as though there's only a single wire in the harness, you'll need a jumper wire to hook up from the left to the right sides.....Don't use the white wire in the harness for the door jam connections, it's the power wire for the courtesy lights!.....Hope this helps!
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 07, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Scott

thanks for the info on the door jamb switches...now i have a new prolblem...i also ordered the painless hidden headlight harness. well i have gone over the install several times but i cannot find the reason why my doors will not open...the only thing i can think of is that the orange wire that goes to the junction box...what is supposed to go to the junction box besides the orange wire because i have nothing to junction it too...also do i need to reuse the circuit breaker? because if so painless didnt say that in the instructions...i have power to the first relay because i can hear it click and it gets warm but it will not open the doors...anyone?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 07, 11:03 AM
Banned
Ron

I'm sorry but I cannot help you out on this one as I do not have the hidden headlight option!....Let me know if you have any other common wiring problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode