My 94 camaro will not start... the security light blinks off and on. HELP?? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 07, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

My 94 camaro will not start... the security light blinks off and on. HELP??

What will cause my car to do this?? My husband put another steering colum, thinking it was the wires broke in the iginiton switch, but that was not the problem. Please help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 07, 01:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harley

Send a message via Yahoo to wiskeesour
Re: My 94 camaro will not start... the security light blinks off and on. HELP??

take it to someone who can read the computer...
the anti-theft device needs to be fixed...

AE2(AW) Harley Moody, USNavy
"Master-at-Arms" for the CDWJB!!
November 26th, 2008 was my last day to serve my country as a member of the World's Greatest Navy.
Thanks Chief.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 07, 02:37 PM
Senior Tech
Steven

94 Camaros use VATS system. If you replaced the steering column and got a new key, chances are that your new key is a different resistance than your original key. Take both keys to locksmith ... have them read resitance of original key and cut a new key using the key that came with the new column for the pattern, but matching the resistance of the key from the old, removed column.

To be clearer... New key will match replacement column key pattern and original column key resistance. ..

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 07, 02:52 PM
Senior Tech

I'm no VATS expert, but I *thought* the resitance figures were in the ECM and the key. There is nothing special about the column affecting what key is used...is there? My hunch is that the wiring to the key pill has been disrupted somehow.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 07, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdtsdt View Post
94 Camaros use VATS system. If you replaced the steering column and got a new key, chances are that your new key is a different resistance than your original key. Take both keys to locksmith ... have them read resitance of original key and cut a new key using the key that came with the new column for the pattern, but matching the resistance of the key from the old, removed column.

To be clearer... New key will match replacement column key pattern and original column key resistance. ..

We did that already, and it still doesnt work.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 07, 04:18 PM
Senior Tech
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnult View Post
I'm no VATS expert, but I *thought* the resitance figures were in the ECM and the key. There is nothing special about the column affecting what key is used...is there? My hunch is that the wiring to the key pill has been disrupted somehow.
The ignition switch is in the column ... right? I was assuming that the switch was not swapped from the old column to the new one ... thus a new key with possibly a different resistance ... The key has a resistance chip in it ... Anyway, we see that that is not the case ... Thus, now I would begin to suspect that there is a wiring issue ...

Here is some info they may find useful:

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515742

or, more info ...

http://shbox.com/1/schematics_wiring.html
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 07, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

As shown by the link shobox, ign key contacts are part of the ign tumbler.
You can troubleshoot the contacts by unplugging the harness to the top of the steering column and use an ohmmeter to measure the resistance of the installed key across the two white wires. The harness must be unplugged to correctly measure the contacts, the white wires, otherwise, the module resistance comes into play for a false reading.

If no key resistance is read on the white wires, then replacement of the key contacts, comes with the tumbler, and a new key is warrantied. Dealer item and proof of ownership is required, plus the original key, the one supplied with the car.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 07, 03:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
As shown by the link shobox, ign key contacts are part of the ign tumbler.
You can troubleshoot the contacts by unplugging the harness to the top of the steering column and use an ohmmeter to measure the resistance of the installed key across the two white wires. The harness must be unplugged to correctly measure the contacts, the white wires, otherwise, the module resistance comes into play for a false reading.

If no key resistance is read on the white wires, then replacement of the key contacts, comes with the tumbler, and a new key is warrantied. Dealer item and proof of ownership is required, plus the original key, the one supplied with the car.
The ohms reading can be done using a VATS interrogator or a VATS box to determine the resistance number. The key and service can be done at any locksmith. VATS keys do not require proof of ownership nor are they a dealer only item. Susan needs to be sure they used the old VATS module and not the one that may have been provided with the column and that it is plugged in.
Kev
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 07, 04:01 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Okay...

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 07, 01:50 PM
Senior Tech

sdtsdt...I see your point now. My mistake for not reading the details. You were pointing out that they probably used whatever key was in the column and you're probably right...my bad.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode