Where to begin? Directionals - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 07, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Angry Where to begin? Directionals

Here my situation. When I bought this car only one of the directionals works (passenger side). from reading a lot of the threads the cam is a common part to go so I figured I would deal with it later. The drivers side marker lights front and back were not working also.

I decided to completely overhaul my interior in the meantime along with aftermarket gauges and now neither directional works. I have yet to hook up my new LED directionals so I thought that might be the issue. Just to rule things out, my car came with an old rusty spare column. to save myself some time tonight I plugged the new column in. Now I'm back to 1 directional again. I switch back to my original column and the passenger marker light and directional still works. ( I don't understand it but thats OK)

I messed around with the hack wiring in the front an some how got the front marker light working but still no rear marker light or directional.

I'm looking for the easiest way out money aside at this point. is there front or rear harnesses I can buy or do you think my problem is still in the column or something else?

Electrical gremlins with be the death of me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 07, 06:18 PM
Senior Tech
David

Re: Where to begin? Directionals

Both front and rear harnesses available for 1st gen Camaro's. Save yourself some headaches and do not buy a wiring harness from Painless Performance. They are anything but painless. You will find a lot of people prefer American AutoWire for their quality and ease of installation. AAW kits use factory style connectors. Painless Performance kits require you to provide some connectors on your own. AAW is the way to go. My 69 is AAW from front to back!!

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

468 CID 661 Horsepower
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 07, 06:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

The problems you are describing could very easily be from bad grounds. Depending on the year of the car (???) there are ground wires from the front park / turn housings. If these grounds are bad, the lights do weird stuff.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 07, 07:38 PM
Banned
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969ProStreetCamaro View Post
My 69 is AAW from front to back!!

And I bet you're still paying for them!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 07, 08:26 PM
Senior Tech
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
And I bet you're still paying for them!!
Paid cash for em' when I got 'em!!!!!!!!!!

"All I need is a fast machine". Steve McQueen
My Machine: 1969 Pro Street Camaro

468 CID 661 Horsepower
Turbo 400
33"x19.50" Mickey Thompsons

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 07, 08:27 PM
Senior Tech
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969ProStreetCamaro View Post
You will find a lot of people prefer American AutoWire for their quality and ease of installation. AAW kits use factory style connectors. Painless Performance kits require you to provide some connectors on your own. AAW is the way to go. My 69 is AAW from front to back!![/COLOR]
Its the best kit for the money front ot back,Side to side, Down to console and guage lights,And yes it even comes with the kitchen sink!

Rich

68 Camaro convertible
67 SS Chevelle Wagon 350,TKO 5 Speed,True fire flame job

You grin ear to ear driving this bad boy!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 07, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

This thing is spliced just about every 6 inches! My car's like an electrical quilt with all differnet colors and gauges patched together. My RS doors stopped working altogether the other day!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 07, 01:48 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie View Post
This thing is spliced just about every 6 inches! My car's like an electrical quilt with all differnet colors and gauges patched together. My RS doors stopped working altogether the other day!
LOL...Oh the joy of working on 30 years worth of other peoples hacks. Hang in there. Be sure you have a good schematic. The electrical forum stickies have a link to some wonderful color schematics. PM the moderator Jim M. for a pass key. The old black and white schematics aren't very flashy, but also work...for free.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode