Source for rubberized wire clamps - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 07, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Source for rubberized wire clamps

I'm trying to figure out a good way to route wires down to my starter without burning them up on my headers. I have some wire braid that I can put the wires into and found a good way to route them down the back of my block and down the back side of the passenger cylinder head. There are a number of bolt holes in my head that I can secure a clamp to but can't find a source for a clamp.

I purchased some rubberized clamps from American Autowire (part 500082) and they would be great except the hole to secure them to something is too small and I need about a 5/16" or 3/8" hole for my bolt. The pad on the clamp is too small to enlarge it this much.

I can't clamp things to my firewall like I did in the old days because its been painted and smoothed...

Has anyone found a 1/2" size rubberized or other non-sharp way to secure cables with a larger hole for mounting it to something that takes a larger 3/8" bolt ?

'68 RS Camaro, 454 SBC
'69 Camaro, body only
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 07, 12:30 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Send a message via AIM to Rodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rodder
Re: Source for rubberized wire clamps

you could make a small L-bracket that bolts to the head, and then bolt a reasonable-sized clamp to the bracket.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- LS1, T56, Hooker longtubes, Autokraft pan & mounts, GM LS7 clutch, Borla ProXS, Moser/Strange/Wilwood 9", Covans dash, UltraLite IIs, Procar Elites, Vintage Air GEN-IV, AGR 12:1 steering, Addco swaybars, Hydratech hydroboost
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 07, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

Yeah, I thought of that and might have to go that route. I just wanted for once to be able to buy something and bolt it on without having to fabricate something.

It seems wierd to me that there are a lot of fancy and nice looking wiring replacement systems out there, but when it comes time to strap, bundle, or otherwise attach it in a manner that looks clean, its hard to find something. I even had a hard time finding a nice looking wire cover and finally found something at Painless, although its a bit expensive.

Thanks

'68 RS Camaro, 454 SBC
'69 Camaro, body only

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 07, 01:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

The clamps like the factory used are readily available at the repro houses. They got big bolt holes. Factory routing used the heater box and bellhousing bolts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 07, 02:32 PM
Senior Tech
Todd

All you need to do is get a round file and you can use a 5/16th bolt easily on those clamps. Just did it last week.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 07, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

I'll feel dumb if after all of the searching my Classic or Ricks catalogs that stay on the top of the desk have what I need in it. All I can find in them though for clamps are the battery cable clap that bolts on the oil pan (KW567 in Classic catalog), or the heater box wire retaining clips (HC-28 / HC-29 in Ricks). But these are open clips and what I'd prefer is a closed loop.

If you know of a usage or section where the 'loop' clamps were used or of a part number, let me know.

I promise to post pictures soon of my project. If there was an award for spending the most money and having the least to show for it, I'd win !

'68 RS Camaro, 454 SBC
'69 Camaro, body only

Last edited by MissionCritical; Dec 7th, 07 at 11:00 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 07, 03:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

The factory style clips are open.
I understand what you're looking for now.
Have you been through the "drawers and drawers" full of stuff at your local Ace Hadware?
Bet they gottem.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode