Restored voltage regulator - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 07, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"
 
Gary L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Clovis , CA, USA
Posts: 10,079
Restored voltage regulator

Are there any problems with using an original regulator? I am using a Delco replacement mechanical type now.

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
Gary L is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 07, 12:06 PM
Senior Tech
Steps
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 13,316
Re: Restored voltage regulator

Unless u are lookung at a full matching numbers car...convert to a self regulating alternator...saves a lot of messing arond and the conversion is simple once u work out which wires go where...
there are many old posts that have instructions and diagrams.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Steptoe is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 07, 12:16 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 183
Re: Restored voltage regulator

Wells VR715 is a remote regulator as your system now has, but it is electronic, not point. This regulator makes the early remote regulator alternators function same as the later internal regulator alternators do.

The Delco-Remy cover can be interchanged for a stock appearance.

Regards,

Milton
The Devil's advocate is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 07, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"
 
Gary L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Clovis , CA, USA
Posts: 10,079
Re: Restored voltage regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Unless u are lookung at a full matching numbers car...convert to a self regulating alternator...saves a lot of messing arond and the conversion is simple once u work out which wires go where...
there are many old posts that have instructions and diagrams.
Thanks, but no thanks. Not changing my 837 alternator to something else. I am into originality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Devil's advocate View Post
Wells VR715 is a remote regulator as your system now has, but it is electronic, not point. This regulator makes the early remote regulator alternators function same as the later internal regulator alternators do.

The Delco-Remy cover can be interchanged for a stock appearance.

Regards,

Milton
Thanks, but I still am looking for the answer to the question I asked.

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
Gary L is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 07, 01:14 PM
Moderator
Kevin
 
KevinW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Millstone, NJ
Posts: 11,092
Re: Restored voltage regulator

Gary, I run original regulators. If it works, it works, if not, then it doesn't. doesn't hurt anything when they fail. They can be rebuilt too. Do you have one or do you need one? what dates?

Kevin


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
KevinW is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 07, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"
 
Gary L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Clovis , CA, USA
Posts: 10,079
Re: Restored voltage regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
Gary, I run original regulators. If it works, it works, if not, then it doesn't. doesn't hurt anything when they fail. They can be rebuilt too. Do you have one or do you need one? what dates?
Thanks Kevin. I have a restored 9B for my 02D car from a good source, I hope.

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
Gary L is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 07, 03:01 PM
Senior Tech
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 5,277
Re: Restored voltage regulator

You need to check and adjust them periodically, but they will get the job done. I'm sure it's no surprise that the electronic replacement will last longer, regulate better and not require any adjustments.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
dnult is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 07, 10:06 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 183
Re: Restored voltage regulator

When you set the regulator, run the engine for a while with the cover on it, to make sure the temperature inside the regulator doesn't change the settings. If so, pull the cap and reset, put cap back on, test, etc.

Keep ground paths, and all wires clean and tight.

Hope this helps to answer your initial question.

Regards,

Milton
The Devil's advocate is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 07, 10:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lane
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Livermore, CA USA
Posts: 1,157
Re: Restored voltage regulator

Mine has been in service since 1976. Wish I hadn't thrown the original away. Lost a couple ebay auctions at about $380 for a numbers match.

Have never set it, but did run some fine sandpaper across the points to bring them back to life couple weeks ago. Never had a problem other than that.
67 RSS is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 07, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"
 
Gary L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Clovis , CA, USA
Posts: 10,079
Re: Restored voltage regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnult View Post
You need to check and adjust them periodically, but they will get the job done. I'm sure it's no surprise that the electronic replacement will last longer, regulate better and not require any adjustments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Devil's advocate View Post
When you set the regulator, run the engine for a while with the cover on it, to make sure the temperature inside the regulator doesn't change the settings. If so, pull the cap and reset, put cap back on, test, etc.

Keep ground paths, and all wires clean and tight.

Hope this helps to answer your initial question.

Regards,

Milton
OK, my turn for a dumb question. How do you adjust/set them?

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
Gary L is offline  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 07, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule
 
Everett#2390's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Va Beach VA
Posts: 31,854
Garage
Re: Restored voltage regulator

It's not an easy adjustment, but time consuming.
Make sure alt belt is in good condition and adjusted correctly.
Start and run the engine at high idle through and to operating temperature.
Remove battery caps, yeah, right, and measure the charge of the electrolyte and note its temperature.
Measure temperature of regulator at the cover.
Find in an older Motors Manual, and use the look-up chart for temperature to voltage output.

If low or high, cover needs to come off, either remove rivets, or remove cover screws. Straight off is the direction, otherwise, the cover shorts out the relay contacts.
On the voltage coil, the upper one, you will see a spring. Using needle nose pliers or the special tool, lengthening the spring (increasing tension) increase voltage; shortening the spring, decreases the voltage.
After each minute adjustment of the spring, cover must go back on to keep reg warm.

If making current adjustment, turen off engine and remove battery cable and insert a VAT-28 or use the pick-up clamp from the VAT-40 and load the charging system with the carbon pile resistor, inside the VAT and adjust the contact gap for max output as stamped on alt housing.
Recheck voltage again and adjust as needed.

Even after doing the above, every week check the electrolyte level of each cell. If level is low, monitor elec temp. If hot, voltage set too high, lower voltage setting. If battery needs a charge, set voltage level higher.

You can measure across the battery posts and with lights, heater, engine running, make sure it does not go below 13.2 volts. All accessories off, no more then 14.5 volts.

Or replace it with A Wells VR715 and forget it.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
Everett#2390 is offline  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 07, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"
 
Gary L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Clovis , CA, USA
Posts: 10,079
Re: Restored voltage regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
It's not an easy adjustment, but time consuming.
Make sure alt belt is in good condition and adjusted correctly.
Start and run the engine at high idle through and to operating temperature.
Remove battery caps, yeah, right, and measure the charge of the electrolyte and note its temperature.
Measure temperature of regulator at the cover.
Find in an older Motors Manual, and use the look-up chart for temperature to voltage output.

If low or high, cover needs to come off, either remove rivets, or remove cover screws. Straight off is the direction, otherwise, the cover shorts out the relay contacts.
On the voltage coil, the upper one, you will see a spring. Using needle nose pliers or the special tool, lengthening the spring (increasing tension) increase voltage; shortening the spring, decreases the voltage.
After each minute adjustment of the spring, cover must go back on to keep reg warm.

If making current adjustment, turen off engine and remove battery cable and insert a VAT-28 or use the pick-up clamp from the VAT-40 and load the charging system with the carbon pile resistor, inside the VAT and adjust the contact gap for max output as stamped on alt housing.
Recheck voltage again and adjust as needed.

Even after doing the above, every week check the electrolyte level of each cell. If level is low, monitor elec temp. If hot, voltage set too high, lower voltage setting. If battery needs a charge, set voltage level higher.

You can measure across the battery posts and with lights, heater, engine running, make sure it does not go below 13.2 volts. All accessories off, no more then 14.5 volts.

Or replace it with A Wells VR715 and forget it.
Uh, I only needed to know which screw to turn.

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." ..... George Washington

Gary,TC Member with a Lemans Blue/Ivory 02D X33, DZ, M20, MS, flat hood. Only the BU code rear end is original.
Gary L is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 07, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule
 
Everett#2390's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Va Beach VA
Posts: 31,854
Garage
Re: Restored voltage regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
Uh, I only needed to know which screw to turn.
Depends on build date(?), some have a screw, some don't.

Principle is still the same, lengthen the spring to increase voltage and vica versa.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
Everett#2390 is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 07, 01:52 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 183
Re: Restored voltage regulator

That is why the electronic regulators are so far advanced over the point ones. Motor's Manual's has a complete set of instructions to follow, libraries have them to look at.

Regards,

Milton
The Devil's advocate is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 07, 07:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
joseph l clance
 
joe clance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: KC, MO
Posts: 991
Re: Restored voltage regulator

Put your original regulator cover/cap over an electronic version regulator base and avoid the hassel!

69 X-44 base coupe, ZZ4, 16lb nodular flywheel, Center force DF clutch + PP, Holley 600DP, Hooker super comp 1 3/4 ceramics, 2.5" dual exhaust w/ X-pipe, flowmaster 40 series mufflers.
joe clance is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome