69 Starter wiring help needed! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 07, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

69 Starter wiring help needed!

I bought an 87 Monte Carlo with a ZZ4 so I could take the drivetrain for the Camaro. I've swapped everything over and am trying to sort out the wiring to get it running. The problem I am currently trying to solve is with the starter. I have searched the site and it seems the original starter had 2 smaller posts. The starter that is on the engine was in the Monte and only has 1 small post. Is there a way to work this with the original wiring or would it be easier to buy an original starter?

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 07, 08:12 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Re: 69 Starter wiring help needed!

The starter you have will work fine. The original starter with 2 small terminals is for a old style point distrubutor. All you need is the wire to go to the S terminal. The R is not used. If you have the 2 wires in your harness just tape up the yellow wire and the purple goes to the S terminal. The original yellow wire went from the positive of the coil to the R terminal on the starter.

Mike
69 Camaro Prostreet - purple w/ghost flames , 502 w/ 871 blower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 07, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for the quick response.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 07, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Checked the purple wire and it is hot with the key "on". Wouldn't this cause the starter to engage as soon as I hook it up? I only have the wiring harness partially connected. The headlights and marker light connections are all loose. Could a ground not being connected be causing some problems. I have the neg battery terminal grounded the the block and attached to the core support. The positive is connected to the starter and the junction block.

Brian
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 07, 11:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Harry

do not cut the yellow wire!
that goes with the purple it provides the current etc to the ignition .
otherwise youll be in start and the dist wont get juice until you release the key to the run position.
look here for diagrams etc.
http://www.camarosource.ca/forums/vi...15ec639b6d0b38

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

434 stroker
US Navy retired

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 07, 08:42 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Send a message via AIM to Rodder Send a message via Yahoo to Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg View Post
do not cut the yellow wire!
that goes with the purple it provides the current etc to the ignition .
otherwise youll be in start and the dist wont get juice until you release the key to the run position.
look here for diagrams etc.
http://www.camarosource.ca/forums/vi...15ec639b6d0b38
If he had a '67, that'd be true... unlike '67, 68 and up ignition switches power the "RUN" circuit in both START and RUN positions.

(actually was this change made mid-year in '67? I vaguely remember reading something about that)

- LS1, T56, Hooker longtubes, Autokraft pan & mounts, GM LS7 clutch, Borla ProXS, Moser/Strange/Wilwood 9", Covans dash, UltraLite IIs, Procar Elites, Vintage Air GEN-IV, AGR 12:1 steering, Addco swaybars, Hydratech hydroboost
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 07, 09:28 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

The purple wire should NOT have power when the key is in "run" only in start. If it does, there is something else wrong and yes, your kar would crank all the time, a bad thing.

And no, you don't need the yellow wire on a 69. You will need to remove and rpelace the factory resister wire to the coil tho.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 07, 09:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
(actually was this change made mid-year in '67? I vaguely remember reading something about that)
Don't know it for sure, but think so.

Absolutely lots of 67's don't power the IGN circuit in crank, but I owned one 20 years ago that did... I think? or maybe I kept the yellow wire when I put the hei in it? it was a long long time ago. 'Bout all I remember is hacking of the resister wire and hooking on a big honkin wire...lol.

Do our resto experts ever peek in here?

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode