Cleaning original wiring harness - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 07, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Timothy

Cleaning original wiring harness

I want to clean my still usable wiring harness. I was planning on using mineral spirits but Im afraid whatever I use might cause the wire jackets to crack prematurely. So I was thinking instead I would use laundry detergent. They wont come out as clean but I should be able to remove most sludge and road dirt before recovering them. Does that seem like a better plan?

Also where do you get the non stick tape from?

TIA

My 69 RS/SS 396 Project -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I may be dumb but I aint stupid"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 07, 07:04 PM
Banned
Ron

Re: Cleaning original wiring harness

I have the complete OEM wiring for my 68 coupe laying around in the garage.....I rewired with the Painless 18 circuit wiring kit.....Anyways, I was thinking of cleaning it up and adding the necessary sockets it needs and selling it.....What I was thinking of doing is just cleaning and/or wiping them down and re-wraping with that non stick black tape and also black electrical tape.....I believe it would look like a brand new stock, original OEM wiring kit!.....Let me know if anyone would be interested in purchasing them either now or when I restore them.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 07, 07:12 PM
Senior Tech
Greg

You can use any type degreaser on the wires, 409, etc, and the non stick wrap from any of the 1st gen houses, got mine from Firewheel.

1969 RS/SS Vert

1031 Engineering llc

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 07, 07:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I did mine exactly that way.

When you unwrap it, be sure to measure accurately from the firewall connector for the length of each "branch" and note which wires came out there, so you can put it back together the way it came apart. When I cleaned my garage, I found the "map" in a drawer somewhere.

My harness was messy. The wires and terminals were good, but there was LOTS of paint overspray. A certain amount of black spray bomb, and here and there some blue urethane.

I started with 409 and got each wire as clean as I could. Mineral spirits took the black off. The blue was VERY tough, used laquer thinner and a scotchbrite pad and a lot of elbow grease on that.

I replaced any bad or hacked up wires (purple one to starter, damn those get beat up!) ran a real wire for my electronic ignition, ran a couple spares from near the horn relay to the firewall for future upgrades, and wrapped the 4 guage feed for my power amps inside the lighting harness.

I also carefully removed every terminal, cleaned it till shiny again (scotchbrite mostly, a lil wire wheel in a dremel on some, others needed replacing, got the terminals at napa.) and put em back (Don't forget to bend the tang back out so they stay put.)

I got the no-stick tape from D&R (drclassic.com) but I'm sure all the repro houses carry it. They had 2 widths, I used 1", seemed it'd be easier that way.

The finished harnesses look factory new. They also work perfectly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 07, 08:26 PM
Senior Tech
Frank

Laquer thinner is the best. Makes them absolutly new again, and does not hurt the protective coating.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 07, 09:27 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Send a message via AIM to RamAirDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
When you unwrap it, be sure to measure accurately from the firewall connector for the length of each "branch" and note which wires came out there, so you can put it back together the way it came apart. When I cleaned my garage, I found the "map" in a drawer somewhere.
What I do is similar, but I put a single wrap of elec tape every 6-8" or so, and directly on either side of every "branch".

That way it still stays together, and in its correct configuration.

Driving a #s-matching Z in the rain..... and lovin' it....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode