horn - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 07, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
mike

horn

just starting to repair small items on 67rs ss---horn is blowing
when i turn steering wheel-----has walnut wheel -----------thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 07, 12:23 AM
Senior Tech
bill

Re: horn

did you screw around with the steering wheel at all. if you did that washer in wheel beveld is in back wards
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 07, 12:28 PM
Senior Tech

This is not the best picture as to the cancelling cam and horn tower but it does show the rest of the parts. I assume that you have a standard (non-adjustable) steering column.

The turn signal cancelling cam (not shown on the drawing) should be the first part to be installed on the steering column steering shaft. Then the large bearing preload spring (also not shown). The cancelling cam has a tower that is molded into it. That tower fits up inside a hole in the steering wheel hub. You drop in a small spring, then the eyelet, then hold everything inside the tower by pressing in the plastic insulator. You should have the end of the eyelet sticking out through the steering wheel hub. It should be spring loaded so it can slide in and out of the hub. When you install the horn contact, the eyelet should always be touching the contact. When you push on the horn button you should compress the horn contact completing a ground circuit for the horn relay that is under your hood or under the dash somewhere.

JIML82

Last edited by JIML82; Dec 15th, 07 at 05:28 PM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 07, 03:08 PM
Banned
Ron

Yes, I had this problem on an aftermarket steering wheel I installed....The horns would start blowing whenever I turned the steering wheel!!.....It turns out the small spring, which drops into place, distorted and bent and partially worked it's way out from behind and was making contact with the hub, grounding itself out, when it shouldn't have, everytime I'd turn the steering wheel either way!.....I must have had something installed wrong because when I disassembled and reassembled, everything was OK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode